Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Restaurant News

Postby woofner » November 27th, 2012, 10:11 am

Would it be too much tribute to refer to this as phamming a space?

It seems to be most typical for restaurants to renovate the dining area to match whatever aesthetic they're going for. I would think that if they keep anything it would usually be the kitchen equipment. It's true, though, that Devil's Advocate kept a lot from the preceding restaurant, but I would guess that's the exception to the rule, at least for downtown. Although the Forum will be another exception.

I've always been under the impression that restaurants need to be larger downtown, as they live off of the huge crush loads that come with events. Maybe that is just the facile assumption that has led to so many vacancies on Hennepin.
"Who rescued whom!"

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 27th, 2012, 10:15 am

Not to picky, but Musashi just added a sushi bar to an Olive Garden. Loved that place.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 27th, 2012, 11:16 am

Not to picky, but Musashi just added a sushi bar to an Olive Garden. Loved that place.
Really? I thought they did a lot more work inside. They did spend a ton of money there regardless. They had like 6-8 beautiful teppanyaki tables in the back which I never saw used.
Towns!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 27th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Would it be too much tribute to refer to this as phamming a space?
I like it!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 4th, 2012, 1:59 pm

The Public House (700 Washington Ave N) has closed.

Spill The Wine (1101 Washington Ave S) is closing and moving to Uptown in April.

The Uptown store will be located at 901 W. Lake St., the former site of Sunrise Cyclery, which moved to a different location closer to the Midtown Greenway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ptown.html

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 4th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Not to be a dick but I'm not sad to see spill the wine go. Maybe something that doesn't suck will move in...
Towns!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Seconded.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » December 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Thirded. I live across the street from Spill the Wine and have only dined there twice, both with GroupOns. There is nothing redeeming about that place. I hope the space doesn't stay vacant for too long.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » December 5th, 2012, 10:36 am

Thirded. I live across the street from Spill the Wine and have only dined there twice, both with GroupOns. There is nothing redeeming about that place. I hope the space doesn't stay vacant for too long.
The benefit is all the $ and time they put into rehabbing it. Hopefully it's attractive to someone soon!

Also, I'm glad the public house closed. Solid location but terrible atmosphere and even worse hours. Someone with restaurant and bar talent can do good things with that place as well, especially with all of the new residents that are/will be taking root there.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 5th, 2012, 10:52 am

You know what would be great there? A coffee shop!
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 5th, 2012, 10:54 am

Maybe a Yoga Studio?

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » December 5th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Not to be a dick but I'm not sad to see spill the wine go. Maybe something that doesn't suck will move in...
I interviewed for the head chef position there a few months after it opened. It was the weirdest job interview I've ever had. I didn't get a good vibe.

It was obvious from body language and the stories they were telling me that the cooks hated the owners. You could tell it from the food too.

The space was beautiful, I would imagine some other restauranteur will snap it up pretty quickly.
Last edited by Chef on December 5th, 2012, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » December 5th, 2012, 9:56 pm

The benefit is all the $ and time they put into rehabbing it. Hopefully it's attractive to someone soon!
So you're saying Spill the Wine phammed this location?

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » December 9th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I have been told by people from the Northloop Board that Blue Plate Restaurant Company has signed a lease for the first floor space of the former HGA Building at 701 Washington Ave N. Most of the space is located in the newer extension on the north side of the building. Blue Plate owns the Longfellow Grill, Edina Grill, The Lowry and others.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2012, 10:11 pm

http://minneapolis.eater.com/

I just discovered this "Eater" website and I'll definitely be browsing again for future updates. It seems like mostly news, construction updates, openings, closings, and rumors with a lesser focus on reviews.

Smack Shack will reportedly open in January.

(not downtown, but) Kim Bartmann is opening a restaurant called Tiny Diner on 38th Street, south of Powderhorn Park.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 10th, 2012, 1:52 am

So you're saying Spill the Wine phammed this location?
Yes!

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 11th, 2012, 11:27 am

I have been told by people from the Northloop Board that Blue Plate Restaurant Company has signed a lease for the first floor space of the former HGA Building at 701 Washington Ave N. Most of the space is located in the newer extension on the north side of the building. Blue Plate owns the Longfellow Grill, Edina Grill, The Lowry and others.
Outstanding. The neighborhood could use something along the lines of any of those places.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 11th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Yes!!! 100% agree that NL could use a Blue Plate place.

This corner could be Smack Shack, The Loop, and Blue Plate. That's pretty good if you ask me!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 14th, 2012, 12:39 pm

A liquor license was approved by the city for a restaurant at 730 Washington Ave N called "Borough" that could be our Blue Plate spot?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 14th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Nope, that's across the street at Elsewherehouse Blue plate will be 701, or something odd in the 700s.
Last edited by seanrichardryan on December 14th, 2012, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.