Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
sushisimo
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Restaurant News

Postby sushisimo » April 5th, 2014, 1:40 pm

And since that's years away, my hope is that some Figlio-esque establishment moves into the ground level of Nic on 5th. Other than that site, I'm not sure there is much opportunity for many restaurants on the upper end of the Mall.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 5th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Nice to see that they're restoring the street level fenestration to its original configuration. Less nice to see that they plan on hacking out a chunk of the cornice.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Agreed. Jeromeo tweeted this photo of the 1940s facade buried behind later remodels. Look at that lovely vitrolite!

KLAD-EZEE apparently was a children;s clothing shop owned by Arlene Martin Carlson's family, Curt Carlson's wife

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9928598138
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 5th, 2014, 5:11 pm

I look forward to having the north end of the mall having the same levels of activity. But that will only happen if the CITY and developers make it mandatory to have a true street scape with more than one door of retail or restaurants at street level. The old Sheraton block has a lot of weight to carry on it's shoulders.
If I remember correctly, The new Xcel building will not have any retail frontage. A negative note on what is otherwise a great project. Makes the Ritz block development even more critical to have street level shops if we want to maintain Nicollet Mall as a major retail corridor.
I heard a while back Nic on Fifth is planning to have a restaurant facing Nicollet Mall but no recent news.
Last edited by John on April 5th, 2014, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2014, 5:13 pm

That is, unfortunately, correct.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 5th, 2014, 6:12 pm

In totally minor downtown restaurant news, Downtown Diner, across from the Warehouse District light rail station, is remodeling and rebranding to Sal's on Fifth.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » April 5th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Haha, who's doing their marketing? Sign in the window appears to say "same great pizza". Right. Lucé, please.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 5th, 2014, 6:48 pm

there was a diner there?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 5th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Yup, same great pizza, new look.

Also, the Tobacco & convenience store right next door appears to be closed closed.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » April 5th, 2014, 7:35 pm

That whole corner is a mess.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Makes the Ritz block development even more critical to have street level shops if we want to maintain Nicollet Mall as a major retail corridor.
I heard a while back Nic on Fifth is planning to have a restaurant facing Nicollet Mall but no recent news.
There is also the RFP on The Nicollet Hotel Block that could bring some action up there.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » April 5th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Not sure if this belongs in the (now moribund) Soo Line Building thread, but Brasserie Zentral will begin taking reservations later this month, April 21 according to Facebook: http://zentral-mpls.com/ https://www.facebook.com/zentral.mpls

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 7th, 2014, 9:35 am

In totally minor downtown restaurant news, Downtown Diner, across from the Warehouse District light rail station, is remodeling and rebranding to Sal's on Fifth.
More Information:

After dad's sudden death, brother and sister run restaurants in his honor
Apr 3, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... iness.html

Amanda and Adam Elazab grew up in pizzerias, spending so much time in them that the smell reminds Amanda of her late father, Abdelsalam "Sal" Elezab, who died last April after a short bout with cancer.

The siblings are keeping their dad's businesses alive, continuing operations at Flameburger on Rice Street in Roseville and remodeling his closed Downtown Diner pizzeria in Minneapolis and renaming it Sal's on Fifth. "With everything we do, we are trying to do a good job, because we want to carry on his legacy and make sure everything he accomplished wasn't for nothing," said Amanda Elazab. She said her father moved to the United States from a small farming village in Egypt in 1979, when he was around 30 years old with just $30 in his pocket.

He worked his way up from washing dishes to eventually opening a couple Slice of New York pizzerias, operating Mickey's Diner on West Seventh in St. Paul and buying Flameburger in 1999. Last March, the 64-year-old began feeling stomach pains and found out he had liver cancer that had spread to the rest of his body, his daughter said. He died two-and-a-half weeks later. ...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 22nd, 2014, 12:30 pm

Kim Bartmann has applied to the HPC to replace windows at 1612 Harmon, the former home of Nick & Eddie's/ Cafe Maude2. She had her wedding reception in that space last summer. I guess she liked it!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 22nd, 2014, 12:33 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 22nd, 2014, 12:38 pm

Prepare yourself for an Alley Entrance only restaurant.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » May 4th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I didn't know whether to throw it in here or the North Loop forum, but work appears to have begun on converting the 3 story building attached to Deja Vu into the sports bar (named The Office) that was proposed a while ago. This includes a full restoration of the exterior, which I'm pretty excited to see.
Are they restoring the exterior on the entire building or just the area where the new bar is going in?
Walked by this today and the first floor is looking great, although it will be absolutely tragic if the rest of the building remains pink.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 5th, 2014, 9:13 am

I noticed that as well...the upper floors look untouched.

Maybe we'll just have to hold a happy hour there and hassle them about it.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » May 6th, 2014, 1:53 pm

does anyone have internal floorplans of the office? How much interior space from the Vu does it now use?

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » May 6th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Red Cow is opening a North Loop location. I'm starting to lose track of the restaurants / chefs looking to open spots in the NL.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... on-is.html