Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2012, 10:07 am

How is it that we're talking about this in the Vikings thread again?
Whether or not The Stadium and HCMC could ever be good residential neighbors...

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » December 4th, 2012, 10:30 am

This particular tangent concerned the suitability of building with exposed concrete in Minnesota. I said that, given the climate, it was unsuitable.

The point about flat roofs was that they are similarly unsuitable to the Minnesotan climate; standing water or accumulated snow will cause water damage if there is the slightest wear on the membrane. They use highly toxic chemicals as sealants. Even grading them slightly doesn't allow for complete drainage. As a result, unnecessarily complex drainage systems are required. And so on and so forth. Sloped roofs don't require high-tech solutions that require constant maintenance. If insulated properly, the won't collect icicles. Snow has to be removed anyway. With proper roofing tiles, they will last a long, long time. They are also less expensive, in the long run. A roof like this, for example: (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AP9nz4DpiRQ/T ... ch-173.jpg) will be more expensive to install, but will have a much longer life cycle.

I suppose you could relate the conversation more directly to the new stadium by saying that hopefully we don't get another dome. No need to post the dramatic youtube video; we all saw how that turned out.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » December 4th, 2012, 11:01 am

I'd love for a sheet of ice to slide off a 30 story building and be under it. Ice can and does form on sloped roofs because of moisture in the air and builds until it can no longer cling to what it is attached to. Hope there are no sidewalks below. Flat roofs can be green roofs and can collect water and help insulate the building and reduce the heat zone found in large cities.

that said some good points about sloped roofs. As usual it really isn't all or nothing.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 4th, 2012, 11:15 am

This particular tangent concerned the suitability of building with exposed concrete in Minnesota. I said that, given the climate, it was unsuitable.

The point about flat roofs was that they are similarly unsuitable to the Minnesotan climate; standing water or accumulated snow will cause water damage if there is the slightest wear on the membrane. They use highly toxic chemicals as sealants. Even grading them slightly doesn't allow for complete drainage. As a result, unnecessarily complex drainage systems are required. And so on and so forth. Sloped roofs don't require high-tech solutions that require constant maintenance. If insulated properly, the won't collect icicles. Snow has to be removed anyway. With proper roofing tiles, they will last a long, long time. They are also less expensive, in the long run. A roof like this, for example: (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AP9nz4DpiRQ/T ... ch-173.jpg) will be more expensive to install, but will have a much longer life cycle.
As I said, sloped roofs work very well on small scale residential buildings, like the one you pictured. But on this board, we're usually talking about buildings at least 60' wide (the standard module for current multi-family residential layouts). Sloped roofs don't scale up well. And anyway, based on modern practice, that tile roof you show is going to have a layer of ice and water shield underneath it (made of toxic chemicals) and cost a bloody fortune. Flat roofs, if properly designed and installed, will perform well and last a long time. But apparently you're some sort of sloped roof evangelist and I'm not going to convince you that flat roofs ever make sense.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » December 4th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Ha, no. Sloped roof evangelism sounds like thankless business. I would push back against your point about width; many multi family projects enclosing courtyards - such as the Mill City District Apartments on Washington - allow for narrower building width, and by extension, sloped roofs (missed opportunity on that particular project).

Until architectural details of the stadium are released, I see no harm in people yammering on about their building preferences.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 4th, 2012, 2:48 pm

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Bwahahaha

mulad

Postby mulad » December 4th, 2012, 3:56 pm

The IDS is too tall to play Napoleon.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » December 7th, 2012, 2:34 am

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... terio.jpg/

What the...? Anyone know where the rendering came from?

Stumbled across this link after clicking on the images for Nic at 5th. Wow. If the stadium designers are developing something like this to replace the Metrodome, the words world class and spectacular leap to mind.

What an amazing architectural asset this would be for Minnesota. Love the towering, arching walls of glass and how they beautifully showcase the downtown skyline. This is certainly a far better structural representative for cosmopolitan Minneapolis than Indianapolis' industrial warehouse-style Lucas Field.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » December 7th, 2012, 2:42 am

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.co ... or-big.jpg

Here's an even better pic. FANTASTIC! Drooling...

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 7th, 2012, 5:45 am

This is the interior of one of two proposals HKS put out earlier this year. The exterior is show along with the interior earlier in the thread here: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=394

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » December 7th, 2012, 7:40 am

i do like that interior image. the only issue would be keeping all that glass clean. but it's a beautiful stadium for sure.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 7th, 2012, 8:22 am

Hahahahaha, this made me laugh out loud....thanks!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 7th, 2012, 8:24 am

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... terio.jpg/

What the...? Anyone know where the rendering came from?

Stumbled across this link after clicking on the images for Nic at 5th. Wow. If the stadium designers are developing something like this to replace the Metrodome, the words world class and spectacular leap to mind.

What an amazing architectural asset this would be for Minnesota. Love the towering, arching walls of glass and how they beautifully showcase the downtown skyline. This is certainly a far better structural representative for cosmopolitan Minneapolis than Indianapolis' industrial warehouse-style Lucas Field.
Two words pop in my mind when I see this: "Holy" and "Shit"!!!

Now I just want to see what it looks like from the outside and I may use these pics when I have "alone time" again! :oops:

Edit: Saw it....I'll keep my pants on......for now.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » December 7th, 2012, 10:34 am

we'll know in another month or so. they will release preliminary renderings then. final renderings in March. i'm hopeful of a dramatic skyline impact.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 7th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Groundbreaking set for October 2013:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... ml?refer=y

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm

That concept was revealed several months ago; I believe it was one supposed to show that the architects could think outside of the box.

It'd definitely be something different, and I'd love to see that much natural light in there, but I have to wonder if something like that is even feasible? I can't imagine the infrastructure needed to hold up a massive glass dome is any cheaper than a traditional retractable roof, and it would also need some mechanism built in for melting snow.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 7th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Imaginary finances of the pull tabs arrangement aside, does it bother anyone else that stadium opponents keep bringing up the interest costs of bonding like it's this big secret being hidden from the public? How do people think the state builds anything??
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 7th, 2012, 1:28 pm

How do people think the state builds anything??
I think the truth is that very few people have a real understanding of bonding.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 7th, 2012, 1:40 pm

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.co ... or-big.jpg

Here's an even better pic. FANTASTIC! Drooling...
Glass atriums like that are pretty notorious for leaking in our climate (i.e. Crystal Court, Galtier/CRAY Plaza). I just don't see that being very practical with our wild temperature shifts. But sure would be very cool.