Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby mamundsen » February 15th, 2013, 9:20 am

“We are extremely confident with our selection of Mortenson,” - Lester Bagley, Vikings VP of Public Affairs.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 15th, 2013, 9:25 am

from vikings press release:

Steve Laurila: Senior Project Manager for the roof, structure, enclosure and operable elements for the stadium. Past projects have included: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN; Amway Center, Orlando, FL; Conseco Field House, Indianapolis, IN; Pegula Ice Arena, University Park, PA.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 15th, 2013, 10:40 am

It's notable that Mortenson built Target Field ahead of schedule and under budget. Bagley and Kelm-Helgen touted Mortenson's relationships with local contractors as big factors in keeping costs down and deadlines met. This bodes well for those of us hoping for maximum bang for our buck.

Also, Bagley repeatedly suggested a 90 day period for the making of final design decisions. So I'm guessing we won't see renderings until May. Groundbreaking is in October, so they're in no huge rush to show people pictures just yet.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 15th, 2013, 10:49 am

they have said we will renderings late march, early april.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 15th, 2013, 11:23 am

Yes, my assumption is that we'll see initial design concepts very soon (within a couple of weeks), which will kick off a public comment/convince the public that they like the design/listening session tour.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 15th, 2013, 11:36 am

This morning Bagley said "90 days". I assume he meant 90 days from today. But maybe that's his worst case scenario.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » February 15th, 2013, 11:49 am

Minneapolis in general is relatively progressive when it comes to architecture. I hope hope hope that they make a statement with their design. I have a horrible gut feeling that it will look like a normal bland stadium. I just want them to go crazy with it.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 15th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Minneapolis in general is relatively progressive when it comes to architecture. I hope hope hope that they make a statement with their design. I have a horrible gut feeling that it will look like a normal bland stadium. I just want them to go crazy with it.
Hopefully you don't mean something like this... http://mlbreports.com/2012/04/04/marlinsreviewmartini/ Yikes!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 15th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Hopefully you don't mean something like this... http://mlbreports.com/2012/04/04/marlinsreviewmartini/ Yikes!
I don't understand how anyone would have been excited about that stadium. I hope the architects have been shunned and forced into exile.
I wonder if it's safe to assume that Mortenson will also be in charge of any construction at The Bank to make it ready for 2 NFL seasons.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I don't understand how anyone would have been excited about that stadium. I hope the architects have been shunned and forced into exile.
I wonder if it's safe to assume that Mortenson will also be in charge of any construction at The Bank to make it ready for 2 NFL seasons.
Not to mention the level of extortion the Miami Marlins exacted on the city... makes the 53% or whatever the state/city are putting in to the Vikings stadium look like we barely contributed anything!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 15th, 2013, 7:24 pm

While I'm not expecting a masterpiece, I would be just fine with a "relatively progressive" design. I'm a little wary this architectural firm was chosen, but I'm going to keep an open mind until the initial renderings come out next month. This is a very high profile building and it will weigh heavily on their reputation. I'm sure they are aware of this. I think they are going to try really hard to do a good job both inside and outside to make it attractive. My gut feeling right now is it will look "pretty good".

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 15th, 2013, 8:51 pm

We all have to remember that this is a collaborative design. The stadium authority and the Vikings need to push HKS for a progressive and iconic design. If HKS brings a "normal bland" design to the discussion table, then the authority needs to express their concerns over this. After all they are the voice for the people.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 15th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I hope that it does not resemble Miller Park either. That place is a dump.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 16th, 2013, 3:52 pm

I hope that it does not resemble Miller Park either. That place is a dump.
The parking lots surrounding Miller Park suck but the building itself is great!

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » February 16th, 2013, 8:09 pm

The parking lots surrounding Miller Park suck but the building itself is great!
No, that stadium is a dump. It already has a very dated feeling to it, I don't like it at all.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » February 16th, 2013, 11:51 pm

To each his own. I'm a fan of Miller Park. The roof has its issues, but is beautiful.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 17th, 2013, 11:35 am

Miller Park is horrible, it was built to get people in the building. There are rides in the concourses and it is more of an amusement park. There is no air movement and there are too many distractions in the outfield. Just an awful experience. It should have been built downtown.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » February 17th, 2013, 11:57 am

Well that was Mayor Norquist's POV. It would have left the valley for other development. I still think its a great first impression driving into the city from the west and suits the tailgating, beer swigging culture of my hometown just as Target Field fits our culture. I would never condone Zygi field having the parking they do or looking anything like it.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 17th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Miller Park is horrible, it was built to get people in the building. There are rides in the concourses and it is more of an amusement park. There is no air movement and there are too many distractions in the outfield. Just an awful experience. It should have been built downtown.
No doubt it should have been built downtown but I love it nonetheless. I think it is a beautiful building from the outside and I think the fan experience inside is just fine.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 17th, 2013, 5:11 pm

I totally disagree but this forum is about our urban area. These kinds of discussions about skyscrapers and urban planning would not even be taking place in Wisconsin.