Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
gpete
Union Depot

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby gpete » May 22nd, 2013, 8:56 am

Not sure if this was already posted, but there will be a public meeting tonight at the Metrodome to discuss the Draft EIS. Meeting starts at 5pm: http://www.msfa.com/content/DRAFT%20ENV ... e%20v2.pdf

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 10:34 am

This is in the off-topic/pipedream realm of things, but I would love to see this venue host an MLB all-star game, using the baseball configuration. I don't know what MLB's specific rules are (if any) about hosting games outside of MLB venues. I also don't think it's likely because of the issues of revenue sharing between MLB, the Vikings, the Twins, etc. Also, with Target Field hosting in 2014, Minneapolis isn't getting an AS Game again for some time. But, yeah, the thought crossed my mind...

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 22nd, 2013, 10:42 am

Well, we missed out on Superbowl L and LI. But Here's hoping we're ready for Superbowl LIV!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 22nd, 2013, 10:54 am

This is in the off-topic/pipedream realm of things, but I would love to see this venue host an MLB all-star game, using the baseball configuration. I don't know what MLB's specific rules are (if any) about hosting games outside of MLB venues. I also don't think it's likely because of the issues of revenue sharing between MLB, the Vikings, the Twins, etc. Also, with Target Field hosting in 2014, Minneapolis isn't getting an AS Game again for some time. But, yeah, the thought crossed my mind...
The baseball configuration is less than ideal. Good enough for the Gophers, not good enough for MLB.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 22nd, 2013, 10:55 am

Minneapolis has released their comments of the stadium DEIS. Some links here.

The biggest concerns seem to be about the closure of 5th Street and its impacts.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 22nd, 2013, 11:27 am

The baseball configuration is less than ideal. Good enough for the Gophers, not good enough for MLB.
And why would anyone want to host an MLB All Star game indoors in this thing when we have Target Field a mile away? It's not like the ASG is played in March..

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 22nd, 2013, 11:44 am

Minneapolis has released their comments of the stadium DEIS. Some links here.

The biggest concerns seem to be about the closure of 5th Street and its impacts.
Looks like they took a good number of comments in, but without having attended it's tough to say what some of them mean ("Views Looking North on 11th Avenue S" means what, of the stadium? pedestrian experience? ??)

I still think they need to consider this once in a 30 year opportunity to redo the areas north/east of the stadium to reconnect the grid (link). It aligns with the neighborhood master plans for connectivity, the Downtown Council's vision to reconnect West Bank/U with downtown, and adds options for people entering/exiting the freeway. It also removes the pesky LRT crossover with 4th St. All while using value capture to fund at least part of it. Those newly developable areas don't need to be 20 story buildings.. 2-4 story apartments/rowhouses/mixed-use would do just fine.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 22nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Well, we missed out on Superbowl L and LI. But Here's hoping we're ready for Superbowl LIV!
We do not even have a shovel in the ground. So I wasn't very surprised we did not get the super bowl during this round. I am pretty sure we would get one before the decade is up. :D

Also in each of the videos I have seen on youtube the large walls on the north side looks more dark purple then gray. If it is dark "Viking" purple then I find that to be a very nice touch.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Ah, I looked it up. 285 feet to dead right field? Yeah, no thanks. In fact, "good enough for the gophers" is being incredibly generous...

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 6:17 pm

And why would anyone want to host an MLB All Star game indoors in this thing when we have Target Field a mile away? It's not like the ASG is played in March..
You're kidding, right? I think this belies some ignorance about MLB's AS game....it is increasingly a venue through which to showcase new stadiums.

Plus, climate controlled baseball in Minnesota in July is by no means a bad thing....

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 22nd, 2013, 7:23 pm

The ALS game is used to show off new BASEBALL venues. The fact that baseball CAN be played at this stadium does not make it on MLB's priority to showcase. Particularly since if they are at a point where there isn't a relatively new MLB park to show off (like, all the other recently opened ones have hosted), they will more than likely put it at a location with big tourism draw and/or population base, likely east coast or LA area. Exactly like how the Superbowl will rotate to new NFL stadiums but in the off years will be held in FL, CA, or other warm-weather areas.

And yeah, Minnesota in July is just so unbearable. We should build an indoor baseball stadium for the Twins.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 22nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Maybe the MLB will put the all star game at the new Saints stadium the year after it's at the Vikings stadium...

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 8:02 pm

The ALS game is used to show off new BASEBALL venues. The fact that baseball CAN be played at this stadium does not make it on MLB's priority to showcase. Particularly since if they are at a point where there isn't a relatively new MLB park to show off (like, all the other recently opened ones have hosted), they will more than likely put it at a location with big tourism draw and/or population base, likely east coast or LA area. Exactly like how the Superbowl will rotate to new NFL stadiums but in the off years will be held in FL, CA, or other warm-weather areas.

And yeah, Minnesota in July is just so unbearable. We should build an indoor baseball stadium for the Twins.
The Superbowl rotates to warm weather climates because climate is a consideration. It's really not for baseball.

LA is the only market you mentioned that would have a tactical advantage. NY and San Francisco have both hosted very recently; there are five "new" venues that have not yet hosted and aren't scheduled to: Petco, Citizens Bank, New Yankee, Marlins, and Nationals. By 2020, they will have conceivably staged an AS game at every "new" stadium.

MLB tries to rotate venues for the AS Game much, MUCH, MUUUUUCH more than the NFL does for the Superbowl. They're not going back to Anaheim or Citi Field anytime soon. Sorry.

So, besides the cities that are lined up to host an AS game currently, or that won't in the near future because they have recently, can you name a market that is a tourist draw with an appropriate venue, besides LA?

It's a moot point, of course, since I've already acknowledged that after actually seeing the configuration, the field is too small. But I feel as though if you are going to go out of your way to p.i.ss on what another poster has acknowledged as their PIPEDREAM with such vehemence, you should at least make a cogent argument....
Last edited by 612transplant on May 22nd, 2013, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 8:03 pm

Maybe the MLB will put the all star game at the new Saints stadium the year after it's at the Vikings stadium...
Aren't you cute?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 22nd, 2013, 9:37 pm

So, besides the cities that are lined up to host an AS game currently, or that won't in the near future because they have recently, can you name a market that is a tourist draw with an appropriate venue, besides LA?
Miami fits the bill for new stadium that hasn't hosted, has an appropriate venue, and is a tourist draw.
Nationals Park also hasn't hosted. I hear DC is a great tourist drawing city.
PETCO Park. San Diego is perfect at all times of the year, has plenty of tourist attractions, is ~1 hour from LA, and also hasn't hosted since 1992.

That brings us through 2018. At which time I'm sure the Athletics will have their new ballpark, possibly the Tampa Bay Rays as well. Let's assume only 1 gets it in time, leaving the next open date at 2020. By then it will have been 7 years since a NYC host and 10 since LA hosted. 13 since San Francisco hosted. And who knows what other parks may be opened by then. My point was that the MLB is far, far less likely to host it at an NFL venue than any existing MLB venue in a big city even if it has been as little as 10 years since they last hosted.
It's a moot point, of course, since I've already acknowledged that after actually seeing the configuration, the field is too small. But I feel as though if you are going to go out of your way to p.i.ss on what another poster has acknowledged as their PIPEDREAM with such vehemence, you should at least make a cogent argument....
I didn't feel the need to get testy with you until you called me ignorant. Howbout this for a cogent argument: name the last time the MLB hosted an ASG at a field/stadium that wasn't at least a shared MLB facility.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » May 22nd, 2013, 10:09 pm

Miami fits the bill for new stadium that hasn't hosted, has an appropriate venue, and is a tourist draw.
Nationals Park also hasn't hosted. I hear DC is a great tourist drawing city.
PETCO Park. San Diego is perfect at all times of the year, has plenty of tourist attractions, is ~1 hour from LA, and also hasn't hosted since 1992.

That brings us through 2018. At which time I'm sure the Athletics will have their new ballpark, possibly the Tampa Bay Rays as well. Let's assume only 1 gets it in time, leaving the next open date at 2020. By then it will have been 7 years since a NYC host and 10 since LA hosted. 13 since San Francisco hosted. And who knows what other parks may be opened by then. My point was that the MLB is far, far less likely to host it at an NFL venue than any existing MLB venue in a big city even if it has been as little as 10 years since they last hosted.
Sorry, let me be a bit more specific:

I am *assuming* that all of the new venues that have not yet hosted will between 2015 (as far ahead as MLB currently has All-Star games scheduled). There are five of them, 3 of which you have mentioned (Petco, Nationals, and Marlins). So, in 2020, the door is wide open. I am highly skeptical that Tampa has a new stadium by then, and I am highly skeptical that the A's will get their new ballpark by their projected date of 2017 (since they have been pushing that date back every year for, what? Eight straight years now?). There is so much apathy in those markets that new ballparks will be a struggle to fund and build, and that's putting things generously. So, in 2020, there are a few options:

1.) Go to a ballpark where the AS Game has not been recently (there are really only two of those left: Dodger Stadium and Wrigley).
2.) Go to a ballpark where it has been hosted recently (Not gonna happen).
3.) Go somewhere brand new, and since there won't be many (if any) new MLB venues left, MLB is forced to explore other options.

As a caveat, when I say recently, I mean within the last 15-20 years, and I would challenge you to find a franchise in post-Expansion baseball that has hosted twice in fifteen years. There are very, very few.

Now, I know it is not necessarily likely that they go to an NFL venue, but I'll remind you: they have gone to shared venues that were much, much friendlier to football configurations (Metrodome, for instance) on more than one occasion. And, I mentioned in my initial post that getting an AS game at all was conditional on the Vikings, Twins, and MLB negotiating revenue sharing. So you don't need to bite my head off about the complexities of it-- I'm fully aware.
I didn't feel the need to get testy with you until you called me ignorant. Howbout this for a cogent argument: name the last time the MLB hosted an ASG at a field/stadium that wasn't at least a shared MLB facility.
I did not call you ignorant, I said that your statement belies ignorance. I am sorry that you took offense, but you ought to be able to distinguish between attacking the opinion and attacking the individual.

As far as hosting somewhere that was not at least a shared MLB facility, they haven't. But, what practical difference does it make to gameplay whether the facility is shared or not, so long as there's a baseball configuration (besides the fact that the right field foul pole at the Vikings Stadium will be too close to home plate, which another poster already pointed out)? Assume that the baseball configuration in the new Vikings stadium *was* the same as it was in the Metrodome: why does it make a difference that an MLB team does not play there? They've successfully hosted AS games in plenty of facilities not "designed" for baseball before, no?

MLB is concerned with showcasing world-class facilities, putting butts in the seats, and cashing in on huge merchandising opportunities. They don't care if they're in sunny Florida, or under the bright lights of New York. I would venture to guess that they plan/anticipate upon similar crowds for AS game festivities REGARDLESS of where it's hosted, and the TV/Radio broadcasting would almost certainly be more lucrative when they host in a new, state-of-the-art facility that American sports fans are excited to see, as opposed to, say, Fenway, which everybody already knows all about.

Again, is it complicated? Yes. But is MLB going to bypass markets with better facilities for New York or Florida? No.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 22nd, 2013, 10:47 pm

How do we get into these pointless discussions with pages upon pages of unnecessarily quoted text?
Could we get a little moderation?

Summary of above:
Could the MLB ASG ever be held in the Vikings Stadium?
Um probably not.
Oh I looked it up definitely not. -Ze End

I love baseball, more so than the NFL, but please be mindful many people come here to get updates on the Vikings Stadium, not who may or may not host a baseball game. You want to talk anything goes, move it there. -End of Rant.

Edit: Minor Typo.
Last edited by Le Sueur on May 23rd, 2013, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » May 22nd, 2013, 11:27 pm

So let me get this right Le Suer.... What I'm not hearing you say is that it couldn't host an NHL All Star Game. I think that would be really cool. Anyone else? Pls respond. Thx.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 23rd, 2013, 5:06 am

All 3 races of the Triple Crown? PGA Tournament? Milk Carton Boat Races?

Sorry..please delete.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 23rd, 2013, 5:52 am

So let me get this right Le Suer.... What I'm not hearing you say is that it couldn't host an NHL All Star Game. I think that would be really cool. Anyone else? Pls respond. Thx.
I believe in the ceremony a couple weeks ago they did show a rendering for hockey or basketball. Final 4 is a definite posibility and the NHL is desperate for attention so the NHL all star game could be a great opportunity. Plus it's in MN, so they could actually fill the place...