Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nasa35

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby nasa35 » July 31st, 2012, 2:59 pm

Keep on keepin' on nasa... Your attitude never gets old.
My attitude? Priceless.

I bet there's maybe 4 people, who post here, who will ever go to a game. The snobbish attitudes here are odd *and* ignorant.
FYI, I'm going to ban you from the site if you don't either A) Find a better way to express your feelings or B) Actually contribute something other than hyperbolic criticism about anything and everything the city or the people in it do. I don't spend my time trolling Anoka websites calling the people there terrible, and I doubt anyone else here does.
You really don't get it Elf, the "hyperbolic criticism" is coming from the people I'm commenting on. My bigget crime is calling them snobs. The attitude and name calling towards anyone not living in the city and the nasty generalization's of anyone going to a football game is the issue . And I'm not trolling; I love the city, lived there for many years. Your anoka comment just supports the attitude which permeates here. I didn't realize the absolute hatred some of you have towards people just becuse they don't live where you do; that's stunning to me. Ban me if you'd like, but at least be intellectually honest about it. Thanks.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 31st, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm one of the 4 Nasa! I don't have season tickets, but I go when I can, usually a couple of times a year.
The drunk driving statements actually made me laugh out loud! Have you been in the warehouse disctict on a weekend?!!! There are more inebriated people on a random Saturday night stumbling down 1st Avenue than you would find at a Vikings game.
I'm looking forward to seeing some real sletches of this stadium and the plazas; then we can get the real arguing going on this thread...

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 31st, 2012, 3:50 pm

I don't think banning nasa is really appropriate. He's certainly not the only person on here slinging the mud and during all the years of Minnescraper he's shown that while he doesn't back down from his opinions, he knows where the boundaries are. I really don't think it would be fair to single him out and punish him alone.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 31st, 2012, 3:57 pm

1949 Star Tribune building dedication and some interior pictures, not sure if any are the lobby:

http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... ib1949.pdf

The facade is probably of some value, particularly the 6 stone medallions they show close up. They are really too high to appreciate by foot, I didn't know until now what they represented--very cool! The rest of the old building I wouldn't force anyone to love, or to live in. The Star Tribune Heritage Center is located at 800 North First St. in Minneapolis, where they do tours. I wonder if they already have plans for anything if the Portland facility is razed.
Not sure if this link will work correctly, but yeah, without the cool facade, it's just a plain old building:
http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresou ... Type=Basic

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 31st, 2012, 5:06 pm

yer REALLY having a hard time with this aren't you?

Look it's happening and no mater how much you complain about how you didn't get your way it IS happening. Deal with that. Just... Deal... With... That...

It's happening, this thread is about it happening. I don't think your crime and drunk driving stats play here. I really don't. If they did we should shut down every single bar and restaurant in downtown because "Gasp!" some people like to drink.... especially after work before having to return to their homes in the suburbs that you so detest. But there they are every day dumping tax money into Minneapolis.

Our city can't just be a bunch of rainbows and lollipops and a place where nobody would ever experience anything unsavory or have their little feelers hurt. It is a city. We aren't the first city to have pro sports housed in or near their downtown.
Every year, more people die from drunk driving than murders. There were 126 impaired driving deaths in 2010 in Minnesota. Source. There were 96 murders. Source. But this is starting to get OT . . .
No, I'm really not. That quote was in direct response to a statement that violent crime, specifically homicide, is a greater public safety concern than drunk driving, which is factually inaccurate. And I noted that it was getting off-topic.

And I'm actually *mostly* glad that the stadium is going to be built downtown. Read my first post on this and you'll see it was only a "small part of me" that thought, perhaps, the culture of the NFL belongs more in the Bud Light drinking burbs than the cocktail pouring city.

What an excitable bunch.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » July 31st, 2012, 9:37 pm

Cocktail city? Where the f**k do you think you live, Beverly Hills? Upper East Side? Good Lord....there are far more "cocktail" places in the 'burbs then there are in Minneapolis. Every time I walk by the outdoor seating of restaurants on Nicollet or 1st Ave, I see FAR, FAR more beer bottles then martini glasses in peoples hands or on tables. Jesus....get over yourself and your warped delusions.

LOL at your constant "NFL culture" snide remarks too. Maybe you and your martini glass should just stay in your bubble wrapped house. Or at the very least find another thread to troll with your snobbish attitude.

Oh, and banning Nasa is hilarious. For what? Having an opinion? Teh Internets iz serious bizniss!! :roll: :lol:

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 31st, 2012, 10:23 pm

And where do you live, Dinkytown? I'm pretty sure there are, relatively speaking, a higher proportion of cocktail bar type places in downtown Minneapolis and higher proportion of cheap-pitchers-of-Natty places in the northern burbs.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 31st, 2012, 10:32 pm

Lol at how stupid this is.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 31st, 2012, 10:43 pm

I hate the vikings thread. No good on Minnescraper and no good here either.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 1st, 2012, 9:06 am

I hope people just take a breather from this. And I don't think it's prudent to ban anyone either. I really disagree with nasa sometimes but I'm glad someone offers counterpoints to mine. It would be very boring around here if all we hear is "Cool building!" "Yeah, I like it!" or "Nice pedestrian experience!"

I hope that people go back to what they learned in kindergarten about how to play nice.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 1st, 2012, 10:26 am

I hope people just take a breather from this. And I don't think it's prudent to ban anyone either. I really disagree with nasa sometimes but I'm glad someone offers counterpoints to mine. It would be very boring around here if all we hear is "Cool building!" "Yeah, I like it!" or "Nice pedestrian experience!"
ehh. nasa used to spark interesting discussion but he's been strictly trollin' for a while now. He adds absolutely nothing of value and consistently turns threads to shit. I'd say elf's ban hammer threat is appropriate.
Towns!

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » August 1st, 2012, 11:05 am

The Vikings thread has a lot of great ideas. Let's not focus on individuals or ourselves, but ideas, and get back on topic--anyone else find good (current) information to preserve the Star Tribune building or its history on site? It looked state of the art in 1949 in my earlier attachment.

The Armory could be the most relevant preservation effort in the Stadium area, believably playing toward the warrior/explorer aspect of the Viking, well decorated on game days, and be a Minnesota heritage site with a surprisingly tasteful, reverent and historic spin on the plaza/park on non-game days.

From the wikipedia page, "The team was officially named the Minnesota Vikings on September 27, 1960; the name is partly meant to reflect Minnesota's place as a center of Scandinavian American culture."

I see this as a unique opportunity to play into that. A festive place on game days, the building could have an inviting space for fans, also worth visiting as a tourist with museum, traditional foods, and history, opening from the 5th St side, and for athletics and indoor sporting events access could be preferred from the beautiful 6th St entrance.

Thinking of how much has been made of flour with Mill City Museum, this indoor/outdoor heritage site could compliment that well and be walkable easily from the Mill district.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 1st, 2012, 12:25 pm

I'd rather see the Armory as an indoor public market that serves the growing Riverfront and Elliot Park residential neighborhoods 365 days a year. Then have it front a public square at the Thrivent parking block (5th Av/Portland/6th St/7th St) surrounded by new residential and mixed-use mid-rises.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 1st, 2012, 12:32 pm

All this Stadium development could be used to preserve ROW for a double-level tunnel under 5th or 6th street.... Upper level for LRT and lower level for heavy rail connecting to the NP #9 bridge. Bummer we don't have infinite money and forward thinking.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 1st, 2012, 12:34 pm

All this Stadium development could be used to preserve ROW for a double-level tunnel under 5th or 6th street.... Upper level for LRT and lower level for heavy rail connecting to the NP #9 bridge. Bummer we don't have infinite money and forward thinking.
Infinite money would be nice.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » August 1st, 2012, 1:18 pm

I'd rather see the Armory as an indoor public market that serves the growing Riverfront and Elliot Park residential neighborhoods 365 days a year. Then have it front a public square at the Thrivent parking block (5th Av/Portland/6th St/7th St) surrounded by new residential and mixed-use mid-rises.
Even better if the light rail stopped right at the Armory, that could help it to include a market.

An inviting urban square of sorts south of the Armory could be a great way to get residential infill there, because it would take attention off the Thrivent/Hennepin County and HCMC walling the area now.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 1st, 2012, 1:34 pm

Infinite money would be nice.
I would argue that the forward thinking is more important than the money. Our forward thinkers at Hennepin County and Met Council have NO intention of grade separating LRT in downtown Minneapolis. Not before at least 2030 anyways. Hell we can't even correctly conclude that the next two LRT lines should be routed through urban areas, even though the first two are...

Anyways, back to stadium talk...

I'm intrigued by the renders that showed 5th Street being exclusive to LRT tracks and pedestrians, removing the driving lanes west of Metrodome/DTE Station. I hope that actually happens and wasn't just to make a pretty picture.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » August 5th, 2012, 9:29 am

Looks like the county morgue property isn't going anywhere soon.

(sorry for mobile link)
http://m.startribune.com/?id=165017426

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2012, 11:27 am

I feel like this would be a very good opportunity for them to Build a new facility, while still operating, instead of remodeling,and then make some $$$ selling their current location? Strange.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 7th, 2012, 7:01 pm

This article has a useful map showing the jurisdictions of the Met Sports Facilities Authority (as defined in the stadium legislation) and the Stadium Implementation Committee (which will help with plans for the surrounding area).

http://www.minnpost.com/two-cities/2012 ... g-building