Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Mdcastle » October 31st, 2013, 7:49 am

The Georgia Dome is what, only 20 years old?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 31st, 2013, 10:36 am

Not to mention that they did a $300 million renovation starting in 2007. What a waste of money.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 31st, 2013, 12:23 pm

What's their urge to build a new stadium then? Is somebody threatening to move the team to LA?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 31st, 2013, 1:20 pm

This isn't directly related to the Vikings stadium but I feel it is relevant enough to post here. If there can be any momentum here, this is where soccer should and could thrive in MPLS. The Vikings stadium will be a terrible soccer venue IMO.

http://www.mls4mn.com/minneapolis-farme ... ign=Buffer#!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2013, 1:47 pm

Why would The People's Stadium (TM) be a terrible soccer venue?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 31st, 2013, 2:34 pm

Giant cavernous indoor stadium with a plastic pitch. Sure, it would be fun for the world cup, but at the very least not ideal for MLS.
Towns!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 31st, 2013, 5:31 pm

This isn't directly related to the Vikings stadium but I feel it is relevant enough to post here. If there can be any momentum here, this is where soccer should and could thrive in MPLS. The Vikings stadium will be a terrible soccer venue IMO.

http://www.mls4mn.com/minneapolis-farme ... ign=Buffer#!
lol, no

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 31st, 2013, 7:10 pm

To continue to take this further OT, my cynic sense does give me a very faint feeling that football may be on its way out in the next couple decades. I say that as a Gopher football season ticket holder who enjoys watching football, and is going to a Vikings game next week, but...it's becoming increasingly clear that there are a bunch of guys in their 40s walking around with brain damage. Which isn't to say that Americans have no taste for blood sport, but if enough parents really start withholding their kids from football programs at the high school level, and the racket that is the NCAA eventually collapses (another subject altogether), it's not outside the realm of possibility that the NFL could fold.

So, hey, soccer.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 31st, 2013, 7:55 pm

In the southern states football is king and will be for the foreseeable future. I do see less football participation down the road but the south will continue to be a football pipeline. I've read stories about less football participation in Minnesota but nothing concrete. I'd steer my kids to other sports for sure.

I think the stadium will be fine for soccer albeit a tad cavernous. Ok more than a tad. And soccer is like baseball, it's optimally a grass sport. but the advances made in artificial turf have been huge since the days of astro turf.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 31st, 2013, 8:14 pm

Read this former player's twitter rant against the NFL in reference to concussions and deceit. People like this will spell the end of of the NFL as we know it our lifetimes.

https://twitter.com/HamzaAbdullah21

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 31st, 2013, 11:04 pm

It's exceedingly rare for high level soccer to be played on turf because it kills the players' knees. It's not uncommon for temporary grass fields to be installed for a single game. A few MLS teams do play on turf, though.

Obviously the Farmers Market soccer stadium talk is pretty premature at this point, but you can build a very good 20,000 seat soccer stadium for a fraction of the price of the Vikings stadium, so it's conceivable that one could be built with very little public funding (see Houston). This would be a great location, and a real soccer-specific stadium would be night and day different than trying to bring MLS into the closed roof, carnivorous Vikings stadium.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 31st, 2013, 11:12 pm

Just to be sure, there's a more relevant thread for this MLS discussion on anything goes, so we can continue it there, but I just felt it was newsworthy enough to mention here.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 31st, 2013, 11:58 pm

Rome killed people for sport and entertainment. Surely we, as a country, can give a few guys brain injuries for the same reason. It's way less severe.

I'm only half kidding. Every great culture has/had a great outlet for violence. Football is ours. It's not going anywhere... nick. ;)

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 1st, 2013, 8:14 am

...the closed roof, carnivorous Vikings stadium.
Yikes! :o

:lol:
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2013, 8:19 am

It's exceedingly rare for high level soccer to be played on turf because it kills the players' knees. It's not uncommon for temporary grass fields to be installed for a single game. A few MLS teams do play on turf, though.

Obviously the Farmers Market soccer stadium talk is pretty premature at this point, but you can build a very good 20,000 seat soccer stadium for a fraction of the price of the Vikings stadium, so it's conceivable that one could be built with very little public funding (see Houston). This would be a great location, and a real soccer-specific stadium would be night and day different than trying to bring MLS into the closed roof, carnivorous Vikings stadium.
A retractable component to the roof COULD allow for natural playing grass to grow on the field.....perhaps without having to move the turf outside the stadium (like they do at the University of Phoenix field in Scottsdale, where the Cardinals play).

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 1st, 2013, 8:43 am

A retractable component to the roof COULD allow for natural playing grass to grow on the field.....perhaps without having to move the turf outside the stadium (like they do at the University of Phoenix field in Scottsdale, where the Cardinals play).
Actually, real grass can easily grow inside now. No one has done it yet in a large indoor stadium, but it would really be no problem at all (probably better than outdoors since you could control the conditions exactly). The main reason for turf is durability and cost. Grass would be a bad choice here, not because it's indoors, but because Cru Jones and Bart Taylor racing helltrack tears the shit out of grass.
Towns!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 1st, 2013, 11:20 am

...the closed roof, carnivorous Vikings stadium.
Yikes! :o

:lol:
Sorry, I know there will be vegetables in the stadium as well!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 1st, 2013, 11:26 am

Vikings owner Wilf charges 'anti-wealth bias' in New Jersey court case
In papers filed in a New Jersey civil case, the Vikings owner explained why his family’s net worth should not be made public.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 39511.html
I always knew the extremely wealthy had unfair disadvantages to overcome.

Related Steve Sack Cartoon: http://www.startribune.com/opinion/230132371.html

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 4th, 2013, 11:29 am

As usual, Jon Tevlin is dead on:

Tevlin: The billionaire's burden – crying Wilf
http://www.startribune.com/local/230364451.html
For decades, they sought privacy. Fair enough. Privacy granted, in my book.

Then they bought an NFL team. And then they asked the taxpayers for a half-billion dollars.

I think they call that a game-changer.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm

can this thread be used to discuss the actual construction of a billion dollar edifice in our downtown and save the stadium whining for another part of the forum? construction begins this month...the bill passed a year and half ago. the debate last more than a decade. get over it.