Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Avian
Union Depot

Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Postby Avian » May 31st, 2012, 7:01 pm

Here we are with a new forum. Discuss the new Vikings stadium!

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

benjbb114
Block E

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby benjbb114 » June 1st, 2012, 9:40 am

Really hoping it looks something like this:
(and that it has a retractable roof!)

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 1st, 2012, 10:17 am

I like that one. I also loved the partially reused dome concept Ellerbe Becket also did from a few years ago. http://www.ellerbebecket.com/success/ne ... tion_.html

I do hope they get the job. Qwest is awesome so they do have a track record as well. I also like a lot of the talk from both the Wilf's and Minneapolis. What they are saying is important to them I agree with.
Towns!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 1st, 2012, 6:04 pm

I liked the one that was pictured for Linden Ave. It looked like a thick silver frisbee and slick as shit! Vikings or no though, I'm just as excited for the surrounding area near the (current Dome) as that neighborhood continues to transition from a historic Minneapolis legacy to a modern one!

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm

The above Linden Ave design is my favorite. But I always liked this one below,

I just hope we don't get a Lucas Oil repeat. I know lots of people love it, but to me, it's just hokey. I wants something moden, sharp, and cutting edge looking.

ace
Block E

Postby ace » June 1st, 2012, 8:35 pm

Here's an interior shot of the Linden Ave rendering-

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 9:24 pm

I'm in complete agreement with everyone here that the new stadium should be futuristic and cutting edge in architecture. There has been some reference in the media that some people want to emulate the worn-out, cliche' faux historical design of the Indianapolis stadium . No fricken way!! Our new stadium should say " Minneapolis ", or "Minnesota" when people see an image of it. The new design should take its cues from the Target Field, which integrates the best tradition of a good ballpark, while using indigenous materials to the region, and a design that is unusual and modern. This is the spirit and approach the architects should take when designing the new Viking's Stadium. The old Metrodome site also has the advantage of being away from the tallest buildings downtown allowing the complex to have a strong iconic presence in the city. It is a wonderful opportunity to build something very bold , prominent , and unique.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 2nd, 2012, 1:41 am

Bravo, John. Just wanted to echo your sentiment regarding the opportunity we have to create a unique, futuristic-yet-functional, architectural structure that will be dazzling, open and will make a bold, vibrant statement that will excite and inspire us for decades to come.

A bland knock-off, a la the barn-like structure that is Indianapolis' Lucas Field, would be colossally disappointing and a tragic missed opportunity for cosmopolitan downtown Minneapolis. Target Field is a smashing success for it's thrilling design and it's natural beauty. We want the new stadium to exceed all expectations.

Given Minnesota's natural resources, it would be great to incorporate a spectacular water element, perhaps a dramatic waterfall of some kind into the design or landscape. I hope also, the early plans for a year-round "Winter Garden" might be revisited. I think most of us agree, there must be a retractable roof to allow us to enjoy the spring, summer and early fall weather. I eagerly look forward to seeing the designs in about 6-8 months.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 4th, 2012, 7:12 am

i agree, i hope we go with something in the vein of what target field did for baseball stadiums. i personally find lucas oil field stale and boring.

minneapolis can do better. there is enough vision for forward thinking design here that something awesome emereges, (at least I hope)

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » June 4th, 2012, 11:16 am

And it begins...

From a Strib article dated May 31, 2012 by Sid Hartman...

Big stadium meeting
The Vikings ownership will have its first big meeting on the building of the new stadium next week in New York.

Attending the meeting with Mark and Zygi Wilf and Don Becker, the real estate lead on the stadium who is employed by the Wilfs, will be Lester Bagley, the team's vice president of public affairs and stadium development; Steve Poppen, vice president of finance/chief financial officer; and Kevin Warren, vice president of legal affairs and chief administration officer.

Bagley said he hopes that Gov. Mark Dayton will have made his three appointments and Mayor R.T. Rybak his two appointments to the new Minnesota Sports Facility Authority by the time the meeting is held. The panel will oversee the stadium construction and work out the team's 30-year lease.

"We're very anxious to get going on the stadium plans," Bagley said.

Meanwhile, it was learned that the Vikings spent $300,000 on radio, television and newspaper advertising and $600,000 on lobbyists to get the stadium vote.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 6th, 2012, 2:59 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Linden Ave. design! The design that was shown with the peaked roof and touted as a re-model of the dome was hideous. I'm curious what the time line is for design work? I'm guessing they're just getting started on putting together the RFP right now, so I'm guessing 3-4 months...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 7th, 2012, 7:44 am

yea i wouldn't have a problem with something similar to the linden ave rendering. just please not a knock-off of what Indy has. it's a functional stadium but looks like an enormous shed.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 7th, 2012, 8:51 am

yea i wouldn't have a problem with something similar to the linden ave rendering. just please not a knock-off of what Indy has. it's a functional stadium but looks like an enormous shed.
No kidding. This is not some of ESG's finest work.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 9:53 am

I really hope the architects resist the temptation to emulate Indianapolis or the Linden Ave copy of it. The Indianapolis stadium was designed in the context of the character of that city , which is just fine for them. However, Minneapolis has a very different personality and the new stadium should reflect that. I can just imagine people turning on the TV with an image of a Vikings Stadium (looking like Lucas ) thinking: " Oh , that's the stadium in Mindianapolis !"

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 7th, 2012, 10:57 am

I'm pretty sure people were just using Lucas Oil Stadium as a stand-in for scale purposes. It was new and being used for the Super Bowl last season so it was a good reference point for people who aren't quite as hooked into the NFL as Larry Spooner. I would be very surprised if we consciously copied another team's stadium.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » June 7th, 2012, 11:02 am

" Oh , that's the stadium in Mindianapolis !"
I was at the Philly airport two weeks ago and that is exactly what she called Minneapolis!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 7th, 2012, 11:25 am

Personally I'm really glad the Vikes Stadium isn't going next to the Twins' Stadium. (like in that picture) Target field is scaled so well for that neighborhood and a football field would just dwarf it. DT East is way better (and with better potential) scaled for a football field.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I'm pretty sure people were just using Lucas Oil Stadium as a stand-in for scale purposes. It was new and being used for the Super Bowl last season so it was a good reference point for people who aren't quite as hooked into the NFL as Larry Spooner. I would be very surprised if we consciously copied another team's stadium.
Good comment and I hope you are right!

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 7th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I'm also doubting they will simply just copy another stadium, but Homerdome v1.0 had two close cousins in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Dome and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Place.

Also, I was curious how the Cowboys Stadium compared in size to the "Purple Oval" they keep showing in the downtown east renderings, so with minimal Photoshopping (No scaling) I dropped the new Dallas stadium into the dome site and was rather surprised to see it is the same size as what the vikings are proposing. I think its going to be very interesting to see how the money get spread around.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 8th, 2012, 12:24 am

It has always been my impression as well that the Lucas Oil Field comparisons are in regards to the functionality more than the design.