Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby bubzki2 » May 7th, 2013, 12:47 pm

1 Million sq ft from Wells Fargo? Are we talking a skyscraper? I'm guessing not, but wow that's a lot. I used to work at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage - holy hell that place was overcrowded! Very exciting!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 7th, 2013, 12:50 pm

As noted previously, you really need operable windows at both ends if you actually want any airflow through the stadium.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 7th, 2013, 1:06 pm

1 Million sq ft from Wells Fargo? Are we talking a skyscraper? I'm guessing not, but wow that's a lot. I used to work at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage - holy hell that place was overcrowded! Very exciting!
For reference, the IDS tower is 1.4 million square feet (according to wikipedia).

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 7th, 2013, 1:18 pm

i'm excited...heady times for downtown.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » May 7th, 2013, 1:52 pm

The person I know with one of the developers is telling me one office and two mixed use.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 7th, 2013, 2:37 pm

For reference, the IDS tower is 1.4 million square feet (according to wikipedia).
Keep in mind the Ameriprise Client Service Center is approximately 1 million square feet and it's only 15 stories.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 9th, 2013, 1:23 pm

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1025 ... CF-stadium

Looks like the Vikings will pay U of M $300k/game to use the TCF stadium. The article also mentions that a number of changes will need to be made to the stadium, unsure about who will be covering those costs...

"Capital Improvements

Certain improvements to TCF Bank Stadium are necessary for winter stadium operation and to meet specific NFL mandates, including:

Installation of new turf and an appropriate heating element for the playing surface to be determined by Vikings and University officials.
Installation of heat trace pipe to ensure cold weather plumbing functionality.
Potential installation of additional temporary seating in the western end zone plaza, subject to approval by the University's building code division (number of seats yet to be determined by Vikings and University officials).
Any necessary modification of existing video platform to meet NFL broadcast requirements.
Installation of additional insulation in various locations around TCF Bank Stadium.
Build-out storage space within TCF Bank Stadium."

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 9th, 2013, 1:47 pm

This reminds me, I see that diagram of the new Vikings field, with the big skyline windows. But where is the huge flipping Jumbo-jumbotron sitting over the middle of the field blocking off the view of everything?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Everybody in the stadium gets a free pair of Google Glasses. Jumbotrons are so 2012.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » May 12th, 2013, 7:11 pm

From Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press...

Pssst: The Vikings are in pursuit of 3M to become a corporate naming-rights sponsor for their new stadium. 3M could join U.S. Bank and Target.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » May 12th, 2013, 7:22 pm

From Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press...

Pssst: The Vikings are in pursuit of 3M to become a corporate naming-rights sponsor for their new stadium. 3M could join U.S. Bank and Target.
Oh... I get it. 3M the company... not 3 million dollars. I had to read that twice.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 12th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Huh. I half expected Target to go for the trifecta, and grab this too.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 12th, 2013, 10:28 pm

^^^if that hppened, may as well go the whole way. Welcome to Target, MN.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 13th, 2013, 9:11 am

The San Francisco 49ers just sold the naming rights to their new stadium to Levi's for $220 Mil over 20 years.

However other relatively new stadiums are much less (Indianapolis- 6 mil/yr, Houston- 10 mil/yr, Arizona- 6 mil/yr). I would imagine this stadium would not command as high of a rate as SF. Also, if you were wondering, 100% of the proceeds from the naming rights go to the team owner. So Zigi can pay for a big chunk of his contribution from naming rights alone...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 13th, 2013, 11:05 am

I know that's more of a financing issue, but yeah. Between the NFL G4 interest-free loan ($200M) that they can use premium seating revenues (that they don't have at the Dome today) and the naming rights (which will likely be another $200M over 20-25 years) the Vikings ownership has basically no skin in the game for a team that just ups its value by quite a bit.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » May 13th, 2013, 11:27 am

Courtesy of mprnews.org

From Bagley...
Vikings vice president Lester Bagley says fans will see a mix of high-technology, ancient mythology and a dose of politics in the final design of the new stadium in the works for downtown Minneapolis.

“What we’re going to see tonight is a vision with local architecture, our Vikings tradition, our sort of Scandinavian heritage here,” Bagley said. “All those things you’re going to see laid out tonight and ultimately worked through the design that we’re very excited about.”

We’re going to see tonight lots of light, lots of glass, a very open feel to this facility,” Bagley says.

From Kelm-Helgen...
“I don’t think there’ll be any thought that there’s anything about this facility that isn’t going to be a very high standard. But it is sort of Minnesota in that it definitely has a certain quality about it. Perhaps understated,” she said.

Kelm-Helgen also says the design will reflect the hard-fought negotiations over the stadium’s financing. She says Minnesotans shouldn’t expect the kind of multi-million dollar upgrades the Xcel Energy Center or Target Field got from their teams as the facilites were being built.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 13th, 2013, 11:31 am

Oooooo,.....and "understated quality" about it! How exciting!!

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 13th, 2013, 11:43 am

Kelm-Helgen also says the design will reflect the hard-fought negotiations over the stadium’s financing. She says Minnesotans shouldn’t expect the kind of multi-million dollar upgrades the Xcel Energy Center or Target Field got from their teams as the facilites were being built.
I'm familiar with some of the upgrades done to Target Field, but what was done to Xcel?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » May 13th, 2013, 11:55 am

[quote="Jfuss"]Courtesy of mprnews.org

“What we’re going to see tonight is a vision with local architecture, our Vikings tradition, our sort of Scandinavian heritage here,” Bagley said. “All those things you’re going to see laid out tonight and ultimately worked through the design that we’re very excited about.”
quote]
Maybe a stave church design? On a large scale, it might account for the height. :D

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 13th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I'm thinking "ice mountain" but we'll see tonight.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato