Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
uptowncarag

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby uptowncarag » April 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Why would be want to copy another design. Something modern and unique please. If anything, Target Center should have been designed like the American Airlines Arena as it is in the warehouse district.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 20th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Why would be want to copy another design. Something modern and unique please. If anything, Target Center should have been designed like the American Airlines Arena as it is in the warehouse district.
I actually prefer something futuristic too. My point is that if the architects at HKS designed the stadium with more historical references (taking cues from the Armory) it could actually be quite attractive.

jp1316
Block E

Postby jp1316 » April 21st, 2013, 5:28 pm

Great. Were finally finished with the big inflatable toilet and in its place we are planning on building a stadium that looks like an unspooled role of toilet paper. HKS's design is just plain ugly.

Garrett
Block E

Postby Garrett » April 22nd, 2013, 8:40 am

Not a copy, just similar architecture style.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 22nd, 2013, 9:45 am

Why is it such an architectural sin to copy something, especially if it is beautiful and renowned? It seems like we'd be better off copying a successful architectural example than going for something new but weird just to satisfy the egotistical cravings of the insulated architect-class.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » April 22nd, 2013, 10:55 am

Why is it such an architectural sin to copy something, especially if it is beautiful and renowned? It seems like we'd be better off copying a successful architectural example than going for something new but weird just to satisfy the egotistical cravings of the insulated architect-class.
um... progress? I don't see what's wrong with being individual and pushing the envelope. This is going to become a focal point of the city no matter what, i would just personally hope it is something interesting versus cliché or redundant.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 22nd, 2013, 3:55 pm

One of the biggest things I learned from a professor was that there is a HUGE difference between imitation and inspiration.

For Example, the Foshay Tower was inspired by other Towers of the 20's as well as the Washington Monument, BUT it wasn't imitative, It's not square with set backs, etc etc... Similar buildings like the Rand tower are more imitative and are considered beautiful, but aren't as iconic. Residents and Visitors alike STILL pick out the Foshay as a remarkable building. And then there are just things that break the mold entirely... Personally I'd rather be the city that is iconic and people try to imitate, but I realize there are some modest humble Minnesotans out there too.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 23rd, 2013, 7:55 am

Agreed. I would say the IDS is inspired by the Pan Am tower and the Wells Fargo tower is inspired by the GE building, but I would consider both iconic to our city.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 23rd, 2013, 10:42 am

Pan Am: Original (NYC)
IDS: Inspired (MPLS)
Thanksgiving Tower: Imitiative (Dallas)

And I think IDS is the best of the 3 by far. SO to relate to the topic, let's be the best, and utilize technology and innovation so we can continue that kind of trend. Dallas and Indianapolis' stadium get accolades for certain things... let ours be the inspired iconic one that gets it all right :)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 23rd, 2013, 10:58 am

Apparently this isn't the IDS. (It's the Thanksgiving Tower)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 23rd, 2013, 11:09 am

Good comments. "Inspired " architecture is what great buildings are all about. The Viking's Stadium is not an isolated project. It will be part of an architectural continuum and legacy of stadiums already built. Whatever its "style" is, the major inspiration of the architect should be to give it a sense it uniquely belongs here in Minneapolis, with an iconic presence that reinforces our city's character on a grand scale. (similar to what Target Field does). I'm fairly optimistic we will do this one right.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 24th, 2013, 7:28 am

^^^ All of this with the added hope that both this and Target Field are woven into the city in such a way that they last long enough to create a legacy. How incredible would it be in 30 years if Target Field was historic and becoming overgrown with ivy, and the Vikings were looking for ways to enhance the tradition of their stadium like Green Bay. Oh, but what do I know; I'm young, inexperienced, and idealistic. :|

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » April 24th, 2013, 10:35 am

Are Vikings officials still hoping for an Oct. groundbreaking?

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » April 27th, 2013, 8:34 am

Given the recent discussion about architecture that is imitative vs. inspired, this seemed like an appropriate place for this:

http://www.startribune.com/video/204960 ... 1/video/1/

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 27th, 2013, 12:21 pm

The unveiling date is set for May 13. Mark your calendars.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 5617e80974

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 27th, 2013, 12:47 pm

The unveiling date is set for May 13. Mark your calendars.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 5617e80974
The Guthrie is an interesting location choice to unveil the design. :)

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 27th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I'll bet they wanted the event at a location from which one could view the stadium site. Lester Bagley says the building will have "lots of glass and light and a very open feel." Michele Kelm-Helgen says it'll fit in well with the neighborhood and downtown.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 16531.html

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 27th, 2013, 5:26 pm

"lots of glass and light and a very open feel" is a very promising comment. It sounds like the architect listened to the community.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 27th, 2013, 10:20 pm

"lots of glass and light and a very open feel" is a very promising comment. It sounds like the architect listened to the community.
I don't know. Reading between the lines, that sounded to me like they're preparing people for no retractable roof.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 27th, 2013, 11:15 pm

I don't know. Reading between the lines, that sounded to me like they're preparing people for no retractable roof.
Agreed, but even though it may have no retractable roof, it still can be great.