Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Rich » September 7th, 2012, 10:06 am

Here's a handy summary of the bidders - just posted:

http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2012/ ... adium-deal

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » September 7th, 2012, 11:20 am

Is it just me, or did it seem to anyone else like this open house presentation at the Dome was a colossal waste of time?

We already knew who the competing firms were. Couldn't those interested...simply go to each of the candidates' websites to view their portfolios? It sounds like many of the people who attended last night were expecting to see competing stadium models/renderings and were completely disappointed.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2012, 11:41 am

Is it just me, or did it seem to anyone else like this open house presentation at the Dome was a colossal waste of time?

We already knew who the competing firms were. Couldn't those interested...simply go to each of the candidates' websites to view their portfolios? It sounds like many of the people who attended last night were expecting to see competing stadium models/renderings and were completely disappointed.
It was pretty explicitly stated that that's what it was going to be.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 7th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Not that is really matters, since the Vikings stadium likely wont be a carbon copy of any previous stadium anyway, but the two that interest me the most from the outside are AECOM and Populous. Both have some experience with really forward-thinking and unique stadiums. Not that either would fit in here, but Dallas and New York are two of the most generic stadiums out there. San Francisco's new stadium doesn't do much for me either.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » September 7th, 2012, 1:02 pm

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/09/06/12/ ... eedID=3793

Report: Vikings put in bids to host Super Bowl

"...ESPN1500.com reported Thursday that the Vikings have submitted bids to host a Super Bowl in their new $975 million stadium, which is scheduled to open in 2016. Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley told ESPN1500.com that bids have been placed to host either the 2018, '19 or '20 Super Bowls in the new stadium..."

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 7th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Does anyone else think that they'll use a "mill" theme for the stadium? Should they? I could see a stadium with "mill-like" columns surrounding it kind of look cool. I guess it doesn't have to be mills, but I'd personally like to see a design that really incorporates the local culture and looks and says "Minnesota" or "Twin Cities". I'll leave that up to the creative Type B types though! :geek:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 7th, 2012, 2:16 pm

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/09/06/12/ ... eedID=3793

Report: Vikings put in bids to host Super Bowl

"...ESPN1500.com reported Thursday that the Vikings have submitted bids to host a Super Bowl in their new $975 million stadium, which is scheduled to open in 2016. Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley told ESPN1500.com that bids have been placed to host either the 2018, '19 or '20 Super Bowls in the new stadium..."
I thought they were shooting for 2017? That's good news though -- can't say it's unexpected!

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 7th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I'd still like a Scandinavian/Vikings theme.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 7th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Question - with a new DTE light rail station eminent - what is going to happen to the arches at the current station? Considering how much money was spent to build them, not to mention how cool they are as a piece of art, I'd hate to see them simply torn down. Hopefully they are incorporated into the new station or plaza somehow.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 8th, 2012, 11:27 am

I agree Aville.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » September 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm

The arches look like an afterthought in a barren sea of parking lots. Like the Target Field station, the implementation of light rail was poorly thought out for the most predictable usage scenarios. Target Field is lucky enough to get a redo with a little thought and I hope the metrodome station does too - especially since this is the last downtown stop before the hiawatha and central lines split.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 12th, 2012, 7:57 am

Apparently the architect decision has been put off indefinitely:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... s-stadium/

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 12th, 2012, 8:06 am

I wonder why that would be? Were the designs lackluster, or maybe some indecision from the committee?

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » September 12th, 2012, 9:39 am

I wonder why that would be? Were the designs lackluster, or maybe some indecision from the committee?
Not necessarily. Keeping the pool of architects larger means they can play the firms off one another longer. Gives the Stadium Authority a little more leverage. A commission like this is worth millions. Perhaps they can get a better deal by drawing out the negotiations.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » September 12th, 2012, 7:48 pm

I usually don't post on here, but believe me I read much, not all, of what's on here so please forgive me if this one has been uploaded before. I like this concept and truly hope the new Vikings Stadium is along these lines.

http://farmersfield.com/pages/sizzle-reel

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 13th, 2012, 8:04 am

Not necessarily. Keeping the pool of architects larger means they can play the firms off one another longer. Gives the Stadium Authority a little more leverage. A commission like this is worth millions. Perhaps they can get a better deal by drawing out the negotiations.
I agree with your accessment. This will make the teams be more creative and they will have better bargaining power. There are not alot of commissions like this out there. They all want this work. We are in the driver's seat right now. We have to do the best to get the best stadium with the best cost structure.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 13th, 2012, 9:43 am

I don't know -- naming "finalists" always seemed like a silly intermediate step anyway. You were only looking at five teams to start with, it's not like they were drawing from a pool of dozens. So, they take an extra week and just announce the winner straight up... nothing to see here, move along.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 13th, 2012, 9:56 am

I usually don't post on here, but believe me I read much, not all, of what's on here so please forgive me if this one has been uploaded before. I like this concept and truly hope the new Vikings Stadium is along these lines.

http://farmersfield.com/pages/sizzle-reel
Farmers does look like an awesome stadium, sleek fairly timeless looking design, LEED certified, nice plazas.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 13th, 2012, 10:03 am

Zygi Wilf has built tens of thousands of homes and over a hundred malls and commercial properties. He's likely got more experience entertaining bids from architects than any NFL owner ever. The point of the delay is just to buy him more time to milk these bidders for all their worth.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 13th, 2012, 1:38 pm

I just want to say that having a stadium named "Farmers Field" and a team named "Lakers" makes no sense in LA.