Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 9:17 am

I was thinking it was between a giant barn or flying saucer, but this adds the possibility of a giant circus tent. I guess we'll know soon.
Towns!

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 28th, 2012, 9:18 am

Here is the press release from the MSFA about the selection of HKS. http://msfa.com/content/PRESS%20RELEASE ... elease.pdf

For the people that are wondering when the public will be able to give the input...

From the press release...
HKS, the MSFA and the Vikings will begin a public meeting process on October 15 in front of the
Minneapolis Stadium Implementation Committee at 4:00 pm followed by a second public meeting in
Minneapolis as well as meetings across the state.

manicmsp
Block E

Postby manicmsp » September 28th, 2012, 9:20 am

Does anybody know who the local partner is on this project?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 9:33 am

Thank god the recent trend for Stadium designs is for a more futuristic and contemporary appearance, and away from the faux historical look. I think HKS has followed that trend with their Copenhagen and Liverpool designs which are better than both The Lucas and Dallas Stadiums. Yet, I'm still wary that there has been so much reference to the HKS designed Lucas Stadium as a prototype for the new Vikings Stadium. And the 2009 proposal looks decidedly clunky and awkward. I hope there will not be a strong temptation by the architects and Vikings officials to be copycats of either of these. If that happens it will be an architectural disaster.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 9:43 am

HKS did not design Copenhagen Arena, 3xn did. HKS helped design the "guts" only.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 9:49 am

HKS did not design Copenhagen Arena, 3xn did. HKS helped design the "guts" only.
So they didn't have much input into the aesthetic design of the Arena? Well, let's hope they learned a thing or two from 3xn! Actually, I'm thinking you were right in your previous post. It may have been better to have HKS collaborate with another more creative firm to achieve a beautiful design with HKS designing the "guts".

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 10:08 am

Agreed, I'm totally confident in their ability, I just don't want anything they've done. LOL.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 28th, 2012, 11:26 am

This story sheds a bit more light on today's choice than the Strib story did:

http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2012/ ... ball-homes

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 28th, 2012, 12:30 pm

well... that was fairly uneventful. Here's what I'm getting out of this announcement: HKS can do modern, classic, and everything in between. HKS loves retractable roofs or features... and has experience in doing them.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 1:07 pm

I was checking out their website, and I do really like a lot of their work... especially the Smith Center for the Performing arts. I would be totally cool with a modern stadium with some cool art deco cues. especially for the development of the armory area around there. but NOT feauxstorical lol...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm

well... that was fairly uneventful. Here's what I'm getting out of this announcement: HKS can do modern, classic, and everything in between. HKS loves retractable roofs or features... and has experience in doing them.
The architects sound like they sincerely took feedback from the public in both designing the Lucas and Dallas stadiums. That is a positive because they don't have any particular aesthetic "formula" which they will impose on the community. I also think their recent experience with designing international sports facilities have made them more sophisticated. However, If they hear a great deal of feedback that people want a post-modern historical looking stadium, they will probably design it that way. I'm hopeful (and crossing my fingers) most people will feel we need something more modern and "cutting edge" (with a regional twist) that connects to our strong modernist Minneapolis architectural tradition. We will see.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 2:11 pm

That part actually scares me even more. Dallas asked for something modern and cutting edge and got a spaceship from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 2:17 pm

That part actually scares me even more. Dallas asked for something modern and cutting edge and got a spaceship from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
:lol:

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » September 28th, 2012, 2:18 pm

The architects sound like they sincerely took feedback from the public in both designing the Lucas and Dallas stadiums. That is a positive because they don't have any particular aesthetic "formula" which they will impose on the community. I also think their recent experience with designing international sports facilities have made them more sophisticated. However, If they hear a great deal of feedback that people want a post-modern historical looking stadium, they will probably design it that way. I'm hopeful (and crossing my fingers) most people will feel we need something more modern and "cutting edge" (with a regional twist) that connects to our strong modernist Minneapolis architectural tradition. We will see.
All of us on UrbanMSP better be at those meetings then, because I don't have much faith that Joe Schmoe from Brainerd and Diane Stepford from Chaska have the same appreciation for innovative, artistic, inspirational modern design as you or I might.

I have a feeling that the public is going to get what they want; a nondescript Lucas Oil Stadium-shaped box (with a Kasota stone facade and arches to match the adjoining LRT station for extra pizzazz!) :|

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 28th, 2012, 2:22 pm

The Journal has obtained "schematic" images from HKS's original bid. Only one of the pictures is showing up for me, but it certainly is different.

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ic-images/

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 2:34 pm

The Journal has obtained "schematic" images from HKS's original bid. Only one of the pictures is showing up for me, but it certainly is different.

It's 2 different concepts. Not sure which one is showing for you. But I kind of like where this is headed. Maybe they hired some new talent...
Towns!

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 28th, 2012, 2:39 pm

first picture is gorgeous. second picture is wonky/sluggish looking... but I see where they are going. These look like world class designs. Super excited.
Last edited by m b p on September 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » September 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Just took a look at these. So far...not bad! The second concept looks a bit too ribbon-y for my tastes, but not horrible.

The first one looks promising, though. Not at all what I was expecting. Hopefully they'll stick with the same aesthetic style.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » September 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I like those. It's the 21st Century; it's past time that our architecture starts looking like it. :)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 28th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Both are working for me now, previously it was only the glass one. The second one is interesting; it's almost like a mix between the Bird's Nest and the Water Cube from the 2008 Olympics. I like that both seem to be playing up the natural light quite a bit.