Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Rich
Rice Park

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Rich » May 24th, 2013, 10:03 am

Most of you will find this interesting. The drawings...

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 108657.pdf

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » May 24th, 2013, 12:03 pm

This is the product ("Mediamesh") that is being installed on the front of the stadium atop the triangular spire.

http://www.gkdmediamesh.com/

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » May 24th, 2013, 1:18 pm

This is the product ("Mediamesh") that is being installed on the front of the stadium atop the triangular spire.

Cool stuff, too bad they aren't covering the entire face of the spire in it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 24th, 2013, 3:00 pm

That won't annoy the neighbors at all...

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm

With regards to the clear panels on the stadium, does anyone know if these will be inserted into a frame like window, or will this be stretched over a frame like you would with a fabric? All of the images make it look rigid, but if you look at other facilities that use it, the product looks more like a fabric. Any insights?
An actual architectural question!!! ;)

ETFE is stretched over the supporting framework. It is self-cleaning, elastic and very strong but can still be punctured with a knife. The one downside is that you hope it never catches fire. It releases the highly-toxic hydrofluoric acid.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » May 24th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Cool stuff, too bad they aren't covering the entire face of the spire in it.
I agree, to me the current one looks small and dinky compared to the GIGANTIC size of that triangle

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 25th, 2013, 1:20 pm

^^^ It would look better in a standard format like 16:9 rather than the 50'x50' square.

Looks like ~$200sq/ft. So $500,000 for the 50'x50'
I would suggest 40'x72' or 45'x80' ($576,000 to $720,000)

Like you said, it looks like there's room. :)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Pedestrians & LRT are top concerns- http://finance-commerce.com/2013/05/ped ... -concerns/.

I assume this is how they will justify tearing out the Andrew Leicester designed station and putting up iron fences in the middle of the streets.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 27th, 2013, 10:04 am

I hope it means that they are keeping the current station and opening it up to the plaza! It's kind of ridiculous that when I am going to work, I either have to walk an extra half block or jump a fence just to get to the station.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Personally I'm hoping for more jersey barriers
http://goo.gl/maps/InFn1

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » June 1st, 2013, 6:49 pm

First rendering of the landscape design...

From the Strib story...
Nearly 300 trees — likely a mix of elms, maples, lindens and other varieties native to Minnesota — will frame the plaza and building facade. Two walkways or paths — an outside loop near bordering streets and an inside loop that wraps tightly around the stadium — will circle the site, along with shard-like-shaped sections of park distinguished by a mix of perennials and native, ornamental and turf grasses.

Oslund said the designers’ intent was to create “an open space area for people to gather,” much like they can at the plaza at Target Field or at Gold Medal Park near the Guthrie Theater.

Entire story can be found here...http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 11201.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 1st, 2013, 9:05 pm

Well there are a lot of trees but it certainly does nothing to address the issue of the giant wind-swept plaza feel. I'm not shocked, as I'm sure this is by design to preserve views, provide for vendors/activities, and even media presence. Just disappointing, I suppose.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » June 1st, 2013, 9:42 pm

I am not sure why this is disappointing. Windswept? What do you think would happen in Arden Hills with all of that surface parking?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 1st, 2013, 10:23 pm

Also from Star Tribune:
Plans also call for creating a 190-space surface parking lot buffered by trees on the southeast corner of the site. The lot would be used by players, coaches and stadium staff. Several hundred bike racks also would be installed.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 1st, 2013, 11:49 pm

It's not a great rendering of what the landscaping will look like in reality. I really like the idea of all the trees , but I wonder how they will thrive in an urban environment and/or with drought conditions. If they are able to mature though, they will look beautiful.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 2nd, 2013, 6:52 am

It's not a great rendering of what the landscaping will look like in reality. I really like the idea of all the trees , but I wonder how they will thrive in an urban environment and/or with drought conditions. If they are able to mature though, they will look beautiful.
I don't think a drought will be an issue with these trees, not with all those beer drinkers.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » June 2nd, 2013, 9:58 am

I'm sure this is by design to preserve views, provide for vendors/activities, and even media presence.
That may have been part of it. The views will be awesome for sure. But I think primarily they just need plenty of room to accommodate tens of thousands of people as they exit those massive doors.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 2nd, 2013, 4:58 pm

I am not sure why this is disappointing. Windswept? What do you think would happen in Arden Hills with all of that surface parking?
I don't know how a comparison to the AH site matters. Yes, obviously that location would likely have been Miller Park-esque and horrible from any urban design perspective. I was a fan of the downtown location because it is closer the the majority of the metro's population, is situated right near existing and future transit lines, and there's already a stadium there. (actually, my preference was over by Target Field which would utilize the Interchange, existing bar/restaurants, parking garages, etc while opening DTE for some really cool stuff, but DTE > AH). That doesn't mean that since this design is better than AH we can let it off the hook. To integrate as best as possible with the surrounding neighborhood (existing and future) us citizens need to demand the absolute best design to keep this stadium from being a hindrance to street and city life. For the $500M (+ long-term costs) we're putting in, I think we have that right.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 3rd, 2013, 2:37 am

Love the clusters of trees and the "windswept" plaza design. As the Strib story also points out, the trees and indigenous perennials to be planted surrounding the stadium will provide a welcoming, green, cushioning effect for fans arriving from every side of the building.

The plaza area, like the one outside Target Field, offers opportunities to install oversized bronze statues of former Viking greats, like Fran Tarkington, Jim Marshal, Carl Eller, Bud Grant, Allan Page, Chris Carter, Adrian Peterson etc. And why not use part of the plaza area for live pre-game and post game broadcasts like they do outside the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The game day atmosphere is going to be outstanding, nothing like what we have experienced to date.

Still waiting to hear more about the on-sight Vikings Hall of Fame to be built at or near the stadium. Was money for the HOF earmarked in the legislation or is this something the Wilf family will pay for out of their contribution? By the way, aside from Wells Fargo's pending plans to develop "The Yard" and surrounding office and retail, the Wilfs have been conspicuously mum on any development plans they have to upgrade the area. After all, they are developers. They should be bursting with ideas to build adjacent hotels, housing and retail.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » June 3rd, 2013, 6:43 am

The Vikings Hall of Fame will be inside the stadium. You can see it in the drawing on page 4.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 108657.pdf