Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby mattaudio » September 18th, 2012, 12:24 pm

On Sunday I figured the shadows were the reason the refs penalized things that didn't actually happen.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » September 18th, 2012, 1:41 pm

those arches aren't going anywhere.
Yes they are.

Also, it looks like RT & Co. want to test out the arterial tailgating idea well before 2016. While it certainly won't replicate a traditional tailgating experience, I think this could work for the majority of fans.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... ml?refer=y

That would be "so Minneapolis" to destroy those arches. But I still think they are staying there...

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 19th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Going to the game Sunday. I'll have to check this out.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 19th, 2012, 9:43 pm

by JMS9 »

Going to the game Sunday. I'll have to check this out.[quote][/quote]

Let me know how many people walk in front of the train.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 19th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Won't the food trucks be on the outside of the tracks, essentially forming a wall separating the trains from the pedestrians?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 20th, 2012, 7:42 am

by JMS9 »

Going to the game Sunday. I'll have to check this out.
Let me know how many people walk in front of the train.
I'd be willing to bet there will be fences (orange?) along the tracks except at stations and intersections.

But as others have pointed out, yeah, this is definitely the Mayor's attempt to see if the Vikings can "get away" with JUST "railgating" and not have to build a (semi-useless) area for people to tailgate near the stadium. I'm sure BOTH parties don't want land near the stadium to have to be dedicated to tailgating any more than they absolutely have to, and I'd bet that many of you here on urbanmsp.com don't really want that land going to that use either (again, not more than is absolutely necessary).

I'm kind of hoping this idea not only works, but becomes even MORE popular than tailgating! We invented tailgating, and we'll invent railgating -- pretty cool! If not, no big deal -- it's worth a shot.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 20th, 2012, 7:48 am

Also, the city will have to forgive fans who want to drink in public though....maybe 5th street will be an exception to the rule? I don't see how else you can drink on the street legally. Also, people can and should be allowed to bring their own food (and beer) if they want to, and use the food trucks at their own discretion.

I'm basically asking for Minneapolis to be as laid back about social drinking as Wisconsin or California!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 20th, 2012, 8:01 am

I've always wonders how it was legal to drink from your car during normal tailgating. Isn't even being near it considered 'intent to operate?'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » September 20th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Also, the city will have to forgive fans who want to drink in public though....maybe 5th street will be an exception to the rule? I don't see how else you can drink on the street legally. Also, people can and should be allowed to bring their own food (and beer) if they want to, and use the food trucks at their own discretion.

I'm basically asking for Minneapolis to be as laid back about social drinking as Wisconsin or California!
Mission Impossible: For Minneapolis to be as laid back about social drinking as Wisconsin

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 21st, 2012, 1:43 pm

Hahha True. But it is possible to be a bit more lax. People openly drink on Hennepin during the pride parade.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 21st, 2012, 2:03 pm

Shooter from the Pioneer Press quotes Lester Bagley saying an architect might be named within two weeks.

Also, apparently Vikings officials were in Indy checking out that stadium. They didn't like the shadows either. Also, Bagley said if was 50-50 whether the Vikings stadium has a retractable roof, but he mentioned that the issue of snow cover might make it more realistic to do a door or a window.

Read this one my phone otherwise would provide a link.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 24th, 2012, 10:57 am

Apparently the railgating worked out pretty well.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 93361.html

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » September 24th, 2012, 1:21 pm

why aren't people outraged about this secret backroom decisionmaking approach? it seems so strange that the public isn't able to see what the public paying for or have a voice at the table? i'm not one to get outraged, but it seems others should be outraged and i haven't seen any of that yet...

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 24th, 2012, 1:56 pm

why aren't people outraged about this secret backroom decisionmaking approach? it seems so strange that the public isn't able to see what the public paying for or have a voice at the table? i'm not one to get outraged, but it seems others should be outraged and i haven't seen any of that yet...
Outraged? Really? This is how this stuff is always done. We'll see the render and either love it, meh, or hate it.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » September 24th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Too many cooks in the kitchen... It's not like they can hold a referendum on the options. This is representative gov't in action.

mark
Block E

Postby mark » September 24th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Yeah I think the time to be outraged was when they were purposely avoiding a quorum.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 24th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Apparently the railgating worked out pretty well.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 93361.html
They were great. A little pricey, but you got food you can't get in the Dome. Really hope this is more than a one week experiment.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 25th, 2012, 6:13 am

the wilfs have been paying lip service to a retractable roof since the bill passed the legislature. we're going to get a retractable "feature"....window onto the city skyline.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 25th, 2012, 7:52 am

I think it was made pretty clear from the start that a retractable roof was not part of the bill, and that the decision to have one would basically come down to whether the Wilfs wanted to pony up approximately $50 million more.

That said, where are you seeing that a retractable roof is off the table? As somebody who hopes to see soccer in here someday, a fixed roof all but ends that dream.