Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby aguaman » September 25th, 2012, 10:55 am

Too many cooks in the kitchen... It's not like they can hold a referendum on the options. This is representative gov't in action.
this is a huge public amenity, like a lrt cooridor or a regional park. in those cases, the public has opportunity to provide comment on design. is that going to happen once the decision has been made on the design team selection? or does the public not have any say from here out?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 25th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Too many cooks in the kitchen... It's not like they can hold a referendum on the options. This is representative gov't in action.
this is a huge public amenity, like a lrt cooridor or a regional park. in those cases, the public has opportunity to provide comment on design. is that going to happen once the decision has been made on the design team selection? or does the public not have any say from here out?
We will find out soon enough.

From the Strib...
The architectural and engineering firm that will design the new Vikings stadium is expected to be named this week.

The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, which is working with the Vikings to oversee construction of the $975 million project, has scheduled a special meeting for 8 a.m. Friday at the Metrodome to announce the decision.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 25th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Is this to only announce the design team, or will they reveal the design as well?
My flickr photos.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 25th, 2012, 3:35 pm

The candidates were required to submit preliminary concepts, and there's a chance that some of those concepts will be revealed when the architect is named. But the real work hasn't really begun yet. My understanding is that there won't be a final design for several months.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 25th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Is this to only announce the design team, or will they reveal the design as well?
Friday's MSFA meeting is to announce the winning Architect/Engineering firm. Not what the actual stadium will look like. According to a Pioneer Press story, once the winning firm is made public so will their design ideas. I am hoping at some point every firms' design ideas will be made public.

As far as the actual design goes, the proposals that were submitted were only conceptual ideas. It was to give the Vikings and the stadium authority an idea of the firm's capabilities and to show their qualifications for working on a project like this. So the drawings that we will see when they are made public will resemble very little if anything of what the final stadium design will look like.

For having any public input, the Vikings have stated that the public will be given an opportunity to make suggestions for how they would like the stadium to look and feel.

Finally, the overall design stage of the stadium will take roughly a year. I want to say I remember seeing about 9 months or so.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 27th, 2012, 4:11 am

Does anybody remember what Target Field initially looked like when populous was first awarded the contract? I don't... But I am curious.

These design firms are putting their best concepts forward. I would imagine that the final design would look, in large part, like their best idea that they just proposed.... ?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 27th, 2012, 5:04 am

Does anybody remember what Target Field initially looked like when populous was first awarded the contract? I don't... But I am curious.

These design firms are putting their best concepts forward. I would imagine that the final design would look, in large part, like their best idea that they just proposed.... ?
I believe these were the preliminary design ideas for Target Field. Please correct me if I am wrong.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 27th, 2012, 10:45 am

That's right... now I remember. The final design of Target Field is basically the initial design... with a few differences. Mainly, a different look of downtown than what was illustrated, no trees in the outfield, and lighting included in the canopy... But, basically the same idea.

My point is that maybe/probably the final design, of the new vikings stadium, will look in large part like the concept design... but with detail adjustments. Right? Anyone want to tell me I'm a moron? In today's culture somebody is bound to...

Thank you jfuss for those initial TF drawings. You clearly have the initiative, that I do not, to find those illustrations. ;-)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 27th, 2012, 11:28 am

The biggest change is in left field, which has the Budweiser tower thing and another upper deck of seats.

Neat pictures though.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 27th, 2012, 11:36 am

The biggest change is in left field, which has the Budweiser tower thing and another upper deck of seats.

Neat pictures though.
ok fine.... that's another thing they changed from the initial design. I've been drinking... forgive me. But seriously, my initial statement stands: Broad strokes will follow through. Details will be changed. (as I bow down) We await you King Friday (Understand the Mr. Rogers allude or vanish).
Last edited by m b p on September 27th, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 27th, 2012, 12:04 pm

I think the biggest and most important difference is that the original is very Square in all of the extended glassy areas, and the finished products has all of the great angular faces. Those shard like faces are really what make the stadium unique and dynamic in the space.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm

I think the biggest and most important difference is that the original is very Square in all of the extended glassy areas, and the finished products has all of the great angular faces. Those shard like faces are really what make the stadium unique and dynamic in the space.

yes... you are correct. I see that too. I guess what I am saying is that the general idea will prevail AND many details will be changed... And we'll get a much better idea in less than 24 hours. I am waaaaaaaaay excited.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » September 28th, 2012, 7:36 am

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 28th, 2012, 8:09 am

Well, this wasn't my first choice from a design perspective, but the positive is that both of HKS's signature NFL stadiums are also the two most successful multi-use NFL stadiums. I just hope our stadium looks nothing like Cowboys Stadium or Lucas Oil Field.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 28th, 2012, 8:25 am

Agreed. I like the way Lucas Oil functions, but I don't like the way it looks. Also, it's interesting that even after HKS is named, Bagley still says it's "premature to say whether the stadium will have a retractable roof". That would seem to indicate that any designs that may exist at this point are very preliminary and the process has yet to evolve.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 28th, 2012, 8:38 am

I got this quote in an e-mail from Minnesota Momentum, which was a stadium advocacy group back in the day.
“We collectively selected HKS because they have exceptional qualifications and offered the most unique approach. They have designed world-class stadiums and they understand how to create successful multi-purpose stadiums,” said MSFA Chair Michele Kelm-Helgen. “They have exceptional experience in roof design which really set them apart from the other firms. They consistently raise the design bar on every project they are involved in.”

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » September 28th, 2012, 8:55 am

Actually there is a LOT that is different between the two. But it's hard to see it in those types of drawings unless you are a real geek about that sort of stuff.

Neat pictures though.
ok fine.... that's another thing they changed from the initial design. I've been drinking... forgive me. But seriously, my initial statement stands: Broad strokes will follow through. Details will be changed. (as I bow down) We await you King Friday (Understand the Mr. Rogers allude or vanish).

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 8:56 am

If it isn't butt-ugly it will be a first for them. Hopefully they hire one of the other firms to design the exterior so they can focus on the roof which may or may not exist and may or may not function properly once it does.
Towns!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 28th, 2012, 8:57 am

No renderings or preliminary sketches yet?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 28th, 2012, 9:11 am

No renderings or preliminary sketches yet?
In case people were wondering what HKS brought to the table back in 2009 for a new Vikings stadium.

During the "Metrodome Next" days the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission had HKS and Mortenson put together a proposal.

From the "Metrodome Next" HKS proposal...
The new stadium adds 1,500 more seats to bring total capacity to 65,000 (expandable to 7,200 for a Super Bowl). It would also include, in addition to a suite level, a club level that would accommodate 6,500 premium seats–a significant jump of the current 242 club seats available. Suite capacity would get a bump from the current 1,500 to a seating capacity of 2,677. Because of the additional premium/club seating revenue, there is a possibility that suite seating may also see a commensurate drop in price. Total square footage would go from the current 900,000 sq. ft. to 1.6M. (NFL average for modern facilities is 1.5M and Indianapolis/Dallas stadiums are 1.7M /1.9M respectively.)

Mechanically speaking, it brings some innovations as well. The surrounding roof construction would be 4th generation PTFE (Teflon fabric)–stronger and more efficient than the existing roof on the dome. The north facing end zone would be all glass, showcasing downtown Minneapolis. The primary support structure “arch” would be constructed in the same way as the new 35W bridge supports.