Latitude 45 - 301 Washington Avenue South

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Alatus Apartment Tower - (301 Washington Avenue South)

Postby Didier » August 26th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Build higher and higher and more rich people will rent from you. I can't believe the developer didn't think of that!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 26th, 2013, 12:58 pm

There seems to be a pretty good wall already along the river of residential buildings. This site is 2 blocks from that wall. I would think you would have to get pretty high up to see over those buildings to have a river view. Is it worth it to build 35 floors up so that the top 5 floors can have river views, and all the other floors to have the same views as an 11 story building? Doesnt seem like smart development. Nic on 5th is different because of its prime location. LPM will have great views because it is pretty much on its own. This Alatus building will fit in great on Washington Ave.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 26th, 2013, 2:53 pm

And ice skaters on half the rink at certain times of day in certain seasons will deal with ambient light instead of direct sunlight. It'll be fine.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2013, 3:23 pm

The Skating Rink is open 15 days a month, 3 (winter low light) months a year, Yes it would be nice to have some natural light, but this isn't nearly the kind of traffic that deserves special treatment bicyclists get on the Greenway...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 26th, 2013, 6:08 pm

The majority has spoken, let's build the WALL!!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 26th, 2013, 6:49 pm

The Skating Rink is open 15 days a month, 3 (winter low light) months a year, Yes it would be nice to have some natural light, but this isn't nearly the kind of traffic that deserves special treatment bicyclists get on the Greenway...
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we cancel the project unless the rink retains its natural sunlight. The argument we're making (or the one I'm making) is that if there is one drawback from this project it's that it will cast a giant shadow Northeast of Washington Ave, and if given the option I'd prefer a skinnier high-rise over a stocky mid-rise (but it's rare when that's not the case).

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » August 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Even if they decided to scratch the stocky and go the tall and skinny route the open space ideally would still get filled and the sun would still get blocked.

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » September 10th, 2013, 12:53 am

Delivered pizza to an attendant at the lot today and asked if he knew anything about this project. He claimed that "the owner of the lot had no clue any of this was going on until it was published in the journal".

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 12th, 2014, 12:10 pm

An updated rendering of the Alatus project at 301 Washington. Revised the top and added some variety to break up the massing. Looks great!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Looks much better, but still now reminds me of Bridgewater on steroids. Just my opinion. But do like the variety of cladding. Is it the trees that are blocking the view, or have they decided not to have the street level sit closer to the street, while the tower was set back some?

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » February 12th, 2014, 1:16 pm

What do they make in the basement that the need such a tall somkestack?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 1:27 pm

That is the pole to match the Guthrie's 3 light signs.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm

IMO, just my opinion. Nick is up to his tricks ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I hope that most/all blockfaces on Washington can get SUBSTANTIAL street trees. A tree canopy would do so much for this boulevard in a decade or two.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » February 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Has anyone heard what the status is on the project? I love the updated render, but I'm sure most of us want to know when this thing is going to be approved or when construction will begin.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 12th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Has anyone heard what the status is on the project? I love the updated render, but I'm sure most of us want to know when this thing is going to be approved or when construction will begin.
The developers website said 2015 completion which is a bit vague. They might be reconfiguring the project to include some other uses, possibly making it partially condo or a hotel etc. The original proposal was 319 rental units, but that seems risky given the flood of these projects opening the next two years. And the condo market is getting stronger. The complex has 3 components (at least from the exterior) so maybe there's some flexibility to make it multi-use if there's more than one grouping of elevator shafts.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 12th, 2014, 4:13 pm

the updated rendering excites me.I like the massing and simplicity, the crown detail is still a little strange,trying, but not. this is the kind of project thathas the potential to marry mill city to downtown and north loop.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Looks much better, but still now reminds me of Bridgewater on steroids. just my opinion (obviously). But do like the variety of cladding. Is it the trees that are blocking the view, or have they decided not to have the street level sit closer to the street, while the tower was set back some?
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't love all of the different shades of brown and gray, and I think it would look so much better with two or three tones instead of six or seven. It's analogous to an overly-busy sweater.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 12th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I may/may not have heard, from a person I can verify exists in the world, that there are plans for a 20 story mixed use building on the lot by the Depot. Presumably the one on Washington, because there were already some plans for that lot by Riverwest.
Maybe they're revisiting this original proposal, and that's why nothing has been finalized yet....

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 12th, 2014, 11:10 pm

I love the render. But when are we going to see some more curves or diagonal line use in this city? It's a lot of just horizontals and vertical. And everything is so symmetric!