TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby ztr421 » February 23rd, 2016, 1:03 pm

I agree with Silophant, it's hard to believe there's some big conspiracy at *city hall to keep buildings shorter. Doesn't it make a bit more sense, as he says, that because we're in an area without geographic constraints that it's easier and cheaper for companies to spread out instead of building up? Chicago is tall because of the lake. NYC is tall because it's an island. We don't have those barriers.

There's no way a secret height limit would stay secret. This is crazy talk.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 23rd, 2016, 2:30 pm

..Chicago is tall because of the lake. NYC is tall because it's an island. We don't have those barriers.
You know that's a simplistic reason. Because you can't make that argument for LA, Dallas, Houston, Philly, etc...

I think it has something to do with the fact that, say, NYC and CHI have many times the population of MSP? And many times the numbers of corporations?
Last edited by Avian on February 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 23rd, 2016, 2:32 pm

But those cities aren't really that tall are they? They don't have the massive amounts of skyscrapers that NYC and Chicago do?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 23rd, 2016, 2:35 pm

We also effectively have barriers in the river and the freeway system.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 23rd, 2016, 2:42 pm

I think it has something to do with the fact that, say, NYC and CHI have many times the population of MSP? And many times the numbers of corporations?
Chicago doesn't have many times the population of LA or Houston though... and the lake is only a barrier on one side, but it is an amenity for views. It's just way to multifaceted to accredit one thing...

Minneapolis isn't tall cause it's cold... or has too much land or doesn't have the policy... who knows.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 23rd, 2016, 2:57 pm

Or because developers understand that as you build taller, every floor gets more expensive than the one before it.* And they're in the business of only supplying office space when there are people willing to lease it for a high enough rental price that they'll make a good return on their investment.

*This is something of a simplification, because there are certain fixed costs that you can distribute over more floors (like, for example, elevators or fire pumps). But when you add enough more floors, you'll need to add another elevator bank and a bigger fire pump. And everything (steel structure, concrete, exterior cladding) costs more to install the higher up in the air you are.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 23rd, 2016, 4:45 pm

Let's everyone please knock it off with this imaginary height limit nonsense. No one's gonna get banned over it (yet), but please stop making yourself look stupid and making everyone else waste 5 posts explaining how stupid you sound. It's not real. The end.

Thank you.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 23rd, 2016, 5:17 pm

Everytime I see that there has been position on the TCF page I think - Cool I hope I see a rendering!!!! And everytime I get sad ... Let's everyone try to not make me sad for a whole week. Sad face...

MS3

Postby MS3 » February 23rd, 2016, 7:13 pm

Keep in mind this is a commercial building construction job superintendent. Is he a reliable source of information? I personally would not bet everything I own on his info. Despite Minneapolis's track record of skyscrapers over the past decade, i'm confident something will get built well past the 500 foot barrier soon. Hopefully this is it and with more to follow. I just get that feeling. We're do.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » February 24th, 2016, 8:34 am

Will First Avenue finally update their logo when this thing gets built?

(I actually like the moment in time aspect of the logo, but the gap between the IDS and Foshay is a distinct feature that will cease to be I assume.)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 17th, 2016, 1:10 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ormer.html
"We’re evaluating our costs and options to continue to maintain the time/temp structure or replace the four panels with something else. There is quite a bit of corrosion in the time and temp sign in the sockets, wiring., etc," Borst wrote in an email. "It is also an energy hog."

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 17th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Strangely, the lights are actually just large spotlight bulbs in a frame.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MS3

Postby MS3 » March 18th, 2016, 9:49 am

No news is bad news for this proposal..

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 18th, 2016, 10:15 am

No news is bad news for any proposal.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 11:52 am

IF they were to keep the time and temp I think that going the LED route would be a good thing all around. Both for cost to run and maintenance.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 26th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Flop
Regarding our redevelopment efforts at 801 Marquette Avenue in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, after extensive costing analysis with our potential development partners and outside professionals, we have decided to redevelop the existing building ourselves, rather than raze it and build a new, mixed use tower with outside development partners. As previously announced, Ryan Companies US, Inc. will be the development manager and design/builder, Perkins+Will will lead the architectural design work and CBRE Group, Inc. will be the exclusive leasing agent. We are fully engaged with our outside professionals on this exciting redevelopment and will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Not surprising at this point.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 26th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Well that was a shitty tease. Guess minneapolis isn't getting a skyscraper any time soon.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 26th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Wow what a disappointment.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 26th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Well lame. I hope they will at least make the building look better.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 26th, 2016, 2:43 pm

http://ir.franklinstreetproperties.com/ ... D=34021973

I wouldn't say that Minneapolis isn't getting a new skyscraper anytime soon because of this project. I think they biggest thing was the hotel portion of the project. Every single rumor I heard mentioned Four Seasons working on this project, but then United picked up Four Seasons. If anyone was going to develop a new skyscraper in Minneapolis, did we really think itd be this public company out of a suburb of Massachusetts who just recently started focusing on the CBD? I had a little optimism, but it waned as time went on. I do feel kind of screwed over though.