Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
eastharrietguy
City Center

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Postby eastharrietguy » October 7th, 2015, 4:26 pm

I like this building a lot and am surprised at all the negative comments. Then again, no form of art elicits the range of reactions... good and bad... as does architecture. I like everything about this building. The red/beige color combo is warm, the large square windows are a nice break from a continuous row of glass, the corner is handled very well. I think it turned out much better than the renderings. This design wouldn't work as a high-rise but I like it at 10 stories.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 7th, 2015, 5:01 pm

I like this building a lot and am surprised at all the negative comments. Then again, no form of art elicits the range of reactions... good and bad... as does architecture. I like everything about this building. The red/beige color combo is warm, the large square windows are a nice break from a continuous row of glass, the corner is handled very well. I think it turned out much better than the renderings. This design wouldn't work as a high-rise but I like it at 10 stories.
I don't disagree that this is an OK agreeable building. But the problem isn't if it's OK, it would have looked many times better clad in brick and stone. Yes red and tan brick and stone. It's what our main Street deserves. The tenant and the builder cheaped out on materials and quality to save a few bucks. What makes me dislike it is how simple it would have been to make it great and likeable. Which is merely material usage.

We need to stop blurring or eyes as we walk down the street and demand the best. What does Nicollet mall deserve?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 8th, 2015, 7:23 am

This week is apparently the 50th anniversary of the opening of 414 Nicollet. Fun quote from the 1965 informational brochure posted to the company network today: "Provision has been made in design and construction of the building for addition of more floors in the future, as necessitated by NSP growth."
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 8th, 2015, 8:02 am

Xcel Energy, being a company that is ceded certain functions of a monopoly, probably has to be careful on how ostentatious its corporate buildings look. That could be an explanation for the austere appearance.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2015, 8:20 am

I once worked on the 8th floor of 414. Man, not enough windows.

Pre-war utilities took pride in what they built, even generating stations.
Minneapolis: https://goo.gl/maps/3mVuRfDPjiS2
Duluth: https://goo.gl/maps/xNCok4KdKwJ2
Owatonna: https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithjsem ... 4368925063

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2015, 8:34 am

Xcel Energy, being a company that is ceded certain functions of a monopoly, probably has to be careful on how ostentatious its corporate buildings look. That could be an explanation for the austere appearance.
orly?

here's their recently completed building in Denver.

http://www.paintsquare.com/news/images/1800-Larimer.gif

ostentatious?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 8th, 2015, 10:10 am

401 looks better.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 8th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Why does Excel have a signature building in Denver but not Mpls?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 8th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Apparently there was a time capsule in the other building.

http://connect.xcelenergy.com/minnesota ... le-opened/

It ends up being marketing for Xcel, but whatever, the first minute or so is kinda interesting.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 8th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Lol @ "Excel" being used in the title of a video posted by Xcel's own community relations department.

Also... when it mentions a "huge underground transformer" at about 0:41... that's a circuit breaker. Sigh. It is pretty ginormous, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 9th, 2015, 6:27 am

I thought that Xcel, a Denver company, bought NSP back in the 80's during merger mania after Reagan years of deregulation. Minneapolis is one of their corporate office because NSP had a staff here that took care of the regulatory issues already for the upper Midwest. Much like when WF was bought, MPLS stand their there main Office center, until they bought Wachovia, Now the largest concentration of WF workers is in Charlotte, North Carolina, where Wachovia had their own corporate headquarters.
Buying a company does not always mean shutting down office and transferring work to the main corporate.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » October 9th, 2015, 7:48 am

ostentatious?
Does anyone know if Xcel is the sole tenant/owner in that building? Or is it a multi-tenant building that Xcel has the naming rights?

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » October 9th, 2015, 7:58 am

Xcel is the sole tenant. I work for Xcel Energy, and they posted a floor plan on the employee website for what will be in both the new and old HQ. They want to quit their lease with the Marquette building so a lot of the folks working in there will move to one of the two HQ's. I'd post a picture of the floor plan, but everytime I try, it says the file is too big.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 9th, 2015, 8:12 am

Ah, remember the good old days when Xcel had people in Ren Square and US Bancorp Tower too? Always fun walking a few blocks down the mall to a meeting. #noskyway

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 9th, 2015, 8:17 am

I thought that Xcel, a Denver company, bought NSP back in the 80's during merger mania after Reagan years of deregulation. Minneapolis is one of their corporate office because NSP had a staff here that took care of the regulatory issues already for the upper Midwest. Much like when WF was bought, MPLS stand their there main Office center, until they bought Wachovia, Now the largest concentration of WF workers is in Charlotte, North Carolina, where Wachovia had their own corporate headquarters.
Buying a company does not always mean shutting down office and transferring work to the main corporate.
In 1995, PSCo (Colorado) merged with SPS (Texas panhandle and New Mexico) to form New Century Energies. In 1998, NSP merged with NCE to form Xcel. The corporate headquarters are Minneapolis. However, since the three operating regions were built independently, to different standards, and are regulated by different system operators, they still are run semi-independently. Hence, there's regional headquarters in Minneapolis, Denver, and Amarillo.

As to why 1800 Larimer is taller and fancier than 401 Nicollet, my guess is that it's mostly down to being designed pre-recession, instead of during the recovery.

Matt, I agree with you from March to November. Come winter, I'm going to be all about that skyway. (Well, next winter. Not this one.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » October 9th, 2015, 8:42 am

Xcel Energy didn't exist until 1998 when NSP merged with Public Service Company of Colorado and Southwestern Public Service Company and became the umbrella company for the three.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » October 9th, 2015, 8:49 am

ostentatious?
Does anyone know if Xcel is the sole tenant/owner in that building? Or is it a multi-tenant building that Xcel has the naming rights?
Xcel occupies about 75% of the Larimer building.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » October 9th, 2015, 8:54 am

Ah, remember the good old days when Xcel had people in Ren Square and US Bancorp Tower too? Always fun walking a few blocks down the mall to a meeting. #noskyway
It's funny you say that, people still park at the Chestnut Service center and walk to G.O. and Marquette just so they have free parking. They still walk everywehre for meetings too. Some things never change!!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2015, 9:02 am

ostentatious?
Xcel occupies about 75% of the Larimer building.
I believe it isa lot like how target corps building was built for them.

https://youtu.be/VqkJPdLOA9Y

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 9th, 2015, 9:03 am

Have we decided that ostentatiousness is now a positive trait that we should be aspiring to?