Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2015, 9:05 am

Have we decided that ostentatiousness is now a positive trait that we should be aspiring to?
I was just proving that Xcel wasn't obligated to build/reside in boring buildings because of their corporate status.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 9th, 2015, 9:23 am

That Xcel building is tall and interesting-looking; it's also built on an immensely ugly parking podium that covers all of the street level on Larimer except the corner lobby. In some ways, we should be very relieved that it wasn't built here.

edit: Though there is a floating bus stop next to a protected bike lane around the block, for the people interested in how those could work here.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 9th, 2015, 1:31 pm

That Xcel building is tall and interesting-looking...
"Interesting-looking." How very Minnesotan of you.

I'd say it's just faux-innovative bad architecture, but maybe that's just me.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » October 9th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I prefer the Nicollet Mall xcel building over the Denver one - even if the Denver building lost the parking podium.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2015, 2:27 pm

The question was never if the Denver building looked better, but if being an energy company required them to be in a modest looking building. Which it doesn't. I don't particularly like the Denver building, but it is leed platinum and has a lot of innovative features.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 9th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Yeah. But it immediately got pulled into the "Is Denver building better stuff than we are?" conversation going on in the other thread. Understandably.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 9th, 2015, 6:14 pm

That Denver building reminds me somewhat of the US Bank apartment building in NE. Has those weird all glass block of glass that punctuate the building's facade.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 9th, 2015, 6:57 pm

The question was never if the Denver building looked better, but if being an energy company required them to be in a modest looking building. Which it doesn't. I don't particularly like the Denver building, but it is leed platinum and has a lot of innovative features.
Yeah. While there is of course argument about whether LEED certification is all its cracked up to be, and even about whether the whole thing is a scam, it's kinda disappointing that Xcel went for LEED Platinum for their regional HQ, watched peer utilities GRE and Manitoba Hydro get LEED Platinum for their HQs, and then decided "Well, Silver's good enough". Especially since Silver's pretty close to a gimmie for a new building in a CBD, these days.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 9th, 2015, 7:04 pm

You give money to take LEED classes to be a LEED certified architect, then give more money to LEED for your building. So yes, it's a bit scammy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 10th, 2015, 6:58 am

Greenwashing. "Yes, of course your curtain wall building connected to a parking ramp can be LEED platinum!"

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 12th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Why does Excel have a signature building in Denver but not Mpls?
I thought that Xcel, a Denver company, bought NSP back in the 80's during merger mania after Reagan years of deregulation. Minneapolis is one of their corporate office because NSP had a staff here that took care of the regulatory issues already for the upper Midwest. Much like when WF was bought, MPLS stand their there main Office center, until they bought Wachovia, Now the largest concentration of WF workers is in Charlotte, North Carolina, where Wachovia had their own corporate headquarters.
Buying a company does not always mean shutting down office and transferring work to the main corporate.
Tell that to Delta/Northwest Airlines.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » October 12th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Xcel is headquartered in Minneapolis

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 13th, 2015, 7:37 am

You give money to take LEED classes to be a LEED certified architect, then give more money to LEED for your building. So yes, it's a bit scammy.
Scam city.

Don't forget paying for different "levels" of LEED certification and "continuing education."

I've been a LEED AP since 2009 aaaaaaand, I've never worked on a LEED project. So much promise to the idea, so little delivery, more bureaucracy with another group skimming off of the top.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 13th, 2015, 8:18 am

I considered going through to LEED AP as my boss was going through it. After starting the process I decided to wait and see what it did for him. The course came with the assurance that he would be able to consult on projects, build new relationships and be on the inside track for new business. The reality is simply that in the 8 or so years he has been a LEED AP he has consulted on one project specifically because of the credential and had no more LEED opportunities than I have in that same time period. Glad I didn't go through the process.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 13th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Anyone else notice how clear this glass is? It's almost like it has 0% tint.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 13th, 2015, 1:42 pm

No. But I hate dark glass so word up.
Towns!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 13th, 2015, 1:53 pm

All the better to stick window clings and stuff to.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » October 14th, 2015, 7:37 am

There's still a good number of people working in MSP. Really only building A was lost. Buildings C and J are still full of office workers. There's no rumors of that changing going around that I have heard.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 14th, 2015, 10:03 am

There's still a good number of people working in MSP. Really only building A was lost. Buildings C and J are still full of office workers. There's no rumors of that changing going around that I have heard.
Okay.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 16th, 2015, 4:32 pm

There's a large mobile crane being assembled on 4th St. this afternoon. The tower crane must be coming down this weekend.

Update: It did.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]