Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby go4guy » August 28th, 2012, 11:45 am

Do we really think that the problem with downtown retail is that there aren't enough vacant retail spaces?
Agreed. Shouldnt we concentrate on filling all the current retail before adding more?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 28th, 2012, 11:52 am

Xcel tends to have a high level of security and likes to limit access to their facilities, mostly as a protective measure to their clients; this does not lend well to having retail space in thier headquarters. I for one would appreciate any efforts they can put together to keep their building secure!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 11:54 am

Do we really think that the problem with downtown retail is that there aren't enough vacant retail spaces?
Agreed. Shouldnt we concentrate on filling all the current retail before adding more?
This seems pretty shortsighted when we are talking about new construction which could be around for 100+ years.

Didn't the city make the Target HQ add a bunch of retail spaces which are currently not being used?
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 28th, 2012, 12:04 pm

There's nothing magical about building retail space. There's nothing to say that in five years, they couldn't convert some portion of the conference rooms on the first floor into retail space. I'd rather see an active office use than vacant retail.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 28th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Ha.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 12:22 pm

There's nothing magical about building retail space. There's nothing to say that in five years, they couldn't convert some portion of the conference rooms on the first floor into retail space. I'd rather see an active office use than vacant retail.
OK. But sometimes the cost of the retrofit would make it uneconomical. For example, I bet if U.S. Bancorp Center had another 1 or 2 retail/restaurant spots facing Nicollet, they would be leased no problem. But at this point, there is no way they would retrofit. They'd have to completely rework the first couple floors. Now we are stuck with what is there.

I guess I'd say if they build it with at least the idea of converting it to retail /restaurant space int he future I think it's fine. Some designs would be much more difficult and costly to retrofit than others.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 28th, 2012, 12:28 pm

OK. But sometimes the cost of the retrofit would make it uneconomical. For example, I bet if U.S. Bancorp Center had another 1 or 2 retail/restaurant spots facing Nicollet, they would be leased no problem. But at this point, there is no way they would retrofit. They'd have to completely rework the first couple floors. Now we are stuck with what is there.
I guess I'd argue that US Bancorp Center is a pretty ideal layout -- a nice amount of retail, and a generous, active public lobby that helps facilitate the transition from the street level to the Skyway level.

And looking at the submitted plans for this site, I don't see anything that would prevent them from carving off a chunk of the space for retail. They'd have to put in a new storefront, but that should be about it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Hmm... every time I pass it I think it's such an unnecessary dead zone. Across the street is way better.

And yes, looking at the plans, it doesn't look overly difficult.
Towns!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 28th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Maybe I'm short sighted, but I see nothing wrong with the amount of retail at US Bank Place, the entire second level is retail as well as most of the first floor. You have thousands of people to move in and out of the building, you NEED that much of a lobby to accomodate that number of people. The last thing Nicollet Mall needs is another half dozen empty spaces. Just because you build it does not mean people will come! Let's be realistic. If Minneapolis could support that much retail it would already be supporting it. Instead we hear of retail closing on a pretty consistent basis.
At this point I dare you to open a shop...good luck!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 28th, 2012, 12:38 pm

As far as the US Bancorp Center, I think that's a pretty good example of non-retail space working well with the overall flow of the street. You can't go in and buy postcards, but you can still go inside. The building opens up to the street and provides one of the more obvious connections to the skyway. Its current setup might even be more valuable to the street life than a CVS.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Where are all these vacant spots? Nicollet Mall between 7th and 12th is pretty damn healthy. And while I don't really like it's interaction with the street I'm not saying US Bancorp Center is some abomination. My point was regarding the feasibility of adding retail in the future.
Towns!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 28th, 2012, 2:09 pm

There are plenty of vacant retail spaces...Too many. A lot of retail has been converted to office downtown over the past decade due to low demand. Gaviidae and City center are both about 30-40% vacant I would say. Target Commercial doesn't even use their storefront on the mall anymore, and there is a spot in the old Retek building that has been vacant for years as has the entire prime street level corner of city center(which drives me nuts as it is such a prominent space, Sam Goody looked good on that corner for years until they went under). Lack of retail space certainly isn't as issue:) Both on the street and in the skyway. On a side note, Len Druskin is opening up yet another store in Gaviidae II, which is good. It will take a spot on the 2nd floor which is currently 1/2 vacant. Of course, Gaviidae is beyond the 7th to 12th street limit you put on there, I am just babbling randomly about downtown retail.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 28th, 2012, 3:01 pm

That's what I was gonna say...I dunno how I'd feel about taking out a $500,000 loan to open any kind of retail on ground level at 4th and Nicollet, except maybe a McDonald's or something.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 28th, 2012, 3:04 pm

yes, that! haha.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Restaurants, IMO. Enough places have stuck around long enough to show it's a prime location for them.
Towns!

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 28th, 2012, 8:35 pm

That's what I was gonna say...I dunno how I'd feel about taking out a $500,000 loan to open any kind of retail on ground level at 4th and Nicollet, except maybe a McDonald's or something.
Are you poking fun at the McDonalds that used to be on this block? Does anybody remember that ... tree? that hung from the center atrium?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 29th, 2012, 8:04 am

There was a Walgreens under the ramp when I worked at 414 Nicollet.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2012, 10:53 am

And looking at the submitted plans for this site, I don't see anything that would prevent them from carving off a chunk of the space for retail. They'd have to put in a new storefront, but that should be about it.
I was by this site today, and the one thing that could be problematic (and something that the City might want to consider as a Condition if they grant this variance) is that there is a modest change in grade around the site, and the proposed entrance appears to be near the high point, so they may need to do a bit of extra work to accommodate future new storefront doors from the sidewalk.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 29th, 2012, 3:44 pm

It's not all that difficult. Builders seem to have forgotten how to create storefronts on a sloping site, instead opting for the awful raised sidewalk, ramps, stairs and railing method.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I understand it's not difficult, but it's much easier if it's done as part of the initial building design rather than a change later on.