Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Xcel Energy HQ

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2012, 11:10 pm

Also I think Xcel Energy may agree with the idea of creating a skyway to the library. The fact they are creating the option into the design shows they have an intent to possible consider the option which is all I can ask for
They aren't. They're designing in the possibility for there to be a private skyway between the two Xcel buildings, for employees to get from one to the other. The new one might get a connection to the Nicollet Residences, but the current Xcel building will never be connected to the library. Too much of a security risk, to say nothing of the extensive remodel it would require.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 22nd, 2012, 11:44 pm

I have seen comments about security a couple times now. As someone who honestly doesn't know, what about Xcel's building or business requires such security? Thanks.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 23rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

Oh I don't know, they jus might be responsible for the power supply of millions of people, including three nuclear reactors?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 24th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Yep. That's about the size of it.

Specifically, the top couple floors of that building are the control center that runs the transmission grid for the upper midwest. Almost every big substation from the Dakotas to Michigan is controlled remotely from there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 25th, 2012, 6:12 am

As much as I hate the Idea, do you think that they could bandaid a skyway to run along the outside of the old Xcel builing and have secure enterances like Northwest Mutual used to have to get into their building so we will have a skyway to the library?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 25th, 2012, 8:43 am

I've always assumed that were somebody so inclined, a skyway could be threaded between the Xcel building and the parking ramp in a fairly artful manner. The only trick is who would pay for it -- obviously Xcel isn't too excited about it (and having no prospect for skyway level retail, wouldn't get much benefit from it), and the library certainly doesn't have the cash laying around.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 25th, 2012, 8:59 am

I've always assumed that were somebody so inclined, a skyway could be threaded between the Xcel building and the parking ramp in a fairly artful manner. The only trick is who would pay for it -- obviously Xcel isn't too excited about it (and having no prospect for skyway level retail, wouldn't get much benefit from it), and the library certainly doesn't have the cash laying around.
I'd that would have to be a big Public/private thing, with the downtown council finding corporate sponsorships to get the skyway open and to maintain it. Might even be able to get some stairs going down to 4th street on the same side as the Xcel building.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 25th, 2012, 9:40 am

I'd that would have to be a big Public/private thing, with the downtown council finding corporate sponsorships to get the skyway open and to maintain it. Might even be able to get some stairs going down to 4th street on the same side as the Xcel building.
Not gonna happen. The Downtown Council is moving away from skyways according their 2025 Plan. Seriously though, it's not that hard to walk outside for a block to go the library. Any money to build a skyway could be put to a much better use.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 25th, 2012, 9:44 am

I'd have to agree with you on that except for those with disablilies a skyway would be a blessing!!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 25th, 2012, 12:00 pm

hmm interesting comments.

I guess with all this information I would imagine the best option would to have a skyway cross 4th street and have a stairs and small elevator down. Kinda like they are planning for more access to transfer to and from the skyway.

http://www.downtownmpls.com/page/show/423275-2025-plan

Although their will also be entrance point over on 5th and Nicollet I think it would be grand if they created a skyway to about 1/3 way into the block (where the 1st stairs is across from the Library entrance) and had a stairs and elevator down to street level. Also they could create a mid block crossing (just add paint re-curb a 4-6ft section and add a few crossing signs) for better access to the Library (not that by not having a cross walk that stoped anyone anyways :roll:)

I think it would be a much better option than a full skyway (although I still would love a full skyway lol) it would allow another connection from skyway to street. Also with the future Park at that location it would be a big draw to bring people out of the skyway to enjoy the park. I think what the skyway needs most is more stairs so they can switch faster between skyway and street. Also anybody traveling to the Libary via the skyway would be funneled to walk past the park which would generate and encourage more Park visitors.

Having a skyway comming into the Library from the East would look awful and be to long of a walkway above Nicollet Mall. Also with the option to cross into the old Xcel building being mostly out of the question because of the design I doubt that option would work either. I think this would be the only option for "connecting" the Library to the skyway even if it's one crosswalk short ;)

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 25th, 2012, 12:32 pm

What's up with your new avatar Lance?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » June 26th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Can i just be a bit of a curmudgeon and say (like I did at SkyscraperCity) that this building looks like it was carved from Target's HQ? Totally non-offensive interplay of curtainwall with precast-punched-openings with the usual Scotch-Brand plaid detail. So totally inoffensive that it is rapidly becoming pretty offensive??

Hey look! I'm a cubic glass building surrounded - like a toasty warm overcoat(!) - of warmly-colored stone panels!! Notice the layering! Notice the "Grand Gesture" to the corner!

This was interesting in 1992. Not so much 20 years later.

BUT, I realize this is just another infill building, so I'm actually pretty OK with it (I'm sure Xcel is relieved to hear that! :lol: ). It's just that this is just one more anonymous office building that purports to be a Corporate Headquarters for an Energy Company. No symbolism allowed. No communication of the essential nature of the business via the Art of Architecture is necessary.

Apparently Minnesota Nice strikes again.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 26th, 2012, 9:44 pm

It's a conservative building yet has a nice design. I agree it looks similar to the shorter Target building, but a better version of it. The street level is well defined and it greets the intersection of 4th and Nicollet in a pedestrian friendly way. It looks like they are going to spend some money on the facade using nice materials to give it a dignified presence. It doesn't look cheap. This building will get rid of one of the worst parking ramps in the city, so in my book it gets major bonus points for that.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2012, 9:03 am

Re: skyway to the library... They used to have some architectural plans up on the library site, and the 2nd floor showed provisions for skyways roughly midblock/midbuilding across Hennepin (!), Nicollet, and 4th.

Re: security, yes I once worked on the 8th floor of the 414 Nicollet building and they had badged doors to even get around parts of the floor.

My own thoughts... I think if we do it right, improving and expanding the skyway within its existing footprint would be better than abandoning/removing it as policy. Obviously better connections to the street are important, and better wayfinding in some of the retrofit skyway areas. Xcel, Nicollet Residences, etc provide an opportunity to expand this northward, and hopefully the Library Park goes between Hennepin/Nicollet/3rd/Washington so then the Nicollet/Marquette/3rd/4th block could see infill development.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 27th, 2012, 9:37 am

well my old avatar of a LRT train in front of the St. Paul Union Depot wouldn't work. the limitations are a bit more limiting than the old site. I attempted to re-size it several times, but what I was left with was something that didn't do the site justice. haha So instead I decided to go with my all time favorite move "Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar" Staring Patrick Swayze. I also actually just named my dog Vida after his character in the move. I couldn't think of anything else for fitting to set as a Avatar than that.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » June 27th, 2012, 10:01 am

well my old avatar of a LRT train in front of the St. Paul Union Depot wouldn't work. the limitations are a bit more limiting than the old site. I attempted to re-size it several times, but what I was left with was something that didn't do the site justice. haha So instead I decided to go with my all time favorite move "Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar" Staring Patrick Swayze. I also actually just named my dog Vida after his character in the move. I couldn't think of anything else for fitting to set as a Avatar than that.
I'll let you guys get back on topic feel free to pm me the avatar guidelines from old site I will try to loosen up restrictions

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2012, 11:26 pm

I went to a seminar at Xcel HQ a couple days ago, and there's a couple boards set up in the SE corner of the lobby detailing the new HQ building plans, including a footprint drawing. (I tried to get a picture, but my phone crashed instead) So, I can confirm that they're definitely planning to include a skyway connecting this building to the Nicollet Residences, as well as building to allow a future connection to the current Xcel building, and a future skyway heading north across 4th St, if and when that parking lot gets redeveloped.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2012, 10:46 am

Here's what the block used to look like...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 13th, 2012, 11:25 am

Why was Power's pulled down and not just renovated into office space?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » August 13th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Here are some more pictures of Powers:
http://lileks.com/mpls/powers/index.html