Dock Street Flats II (cancelled - see T3 Office Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Dock Street Flats II (cancelled - see T3 Office Building)

Postby woofner » October 18th, 2013, 11:41 am

Noozzz:
The Dock Street Apartments building is currently under construction. The developer is anticipating continued residential growth in the North Loop Neighborhood and as such is beginning to work on the next phase of the development (Building #3). Since 2011, it has been determined that the liner building will not be constructed since the lot area for this parcel of land was reduced to 6,664 square feet due to the final location of the Dock Street Apartments building. Also, the composition of Building #3 has changed. It will now contain 291 dwelling units, 15,715 square feet of commercial space and will be 25 stories tall.
According to the same doc, the original configuration of Building #3 was 200 units, 16,500 sq ft commercial, and 16 stories. So happy Friday to this board. The dearly departed liner building was 15 units, 1k sq ft commercial, and 4-5 stories. I'm curious how they'll landscape the former liner building site now that they have a bit more room to work with - it could be a really nice little plaza.
"Who rescued whom!"

Avian
Union Depot

Re: Dock Street Apartments - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Postby Avian » October 18th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Very cool. A 25-story building will really stand out at that location! It'll be nice to see a high-rise jump the 394 chasm.
Last edited by Avian on October 18th, 2013, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 18th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Nice find. 16 to 25 stories is quite the jump. Happy Friday, indeed!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Dock Street Flats Phase II

Postby lordmoke » October 18th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Additionally, should we go ahead and start a "Building #3" topic?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 18th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Noozzz:
The Dock Street Apartments building is currently under construction. The developer is anticipating continued residential growth in the North Loop Neighborhood and as such is beginning to work on the next phase of the development (Building #3). Since 2011, it has been determined that the liner building will not be constructed since the lot area for this parcel of land was reduced to 6,664 square feet due to the final location of the Dock Street Apartments building. Also, the composition of Building #3 has changed. It will now contain 291 dwelling units, 15,715 square feet of commercial space and will be 25 stories tall.
According to the same doc, the original configuration of Building #3 was 200 units, 16,500 sq ft commercial, and 16 stories. So happy Friday to this board. The dearly departed liner building was 15 units, 1k sq ft commercial, and 4-5 stories. I'm curious how they'll landscape the former liner building site now that they have a bit more room to work with - it could be a really nice little plaza.
It should be 28 stories! Don't developers know anything?
(kidding)

the kid
Block E

Postby the kid » October 18th, 2013, 12:39 pm

this is great, will really extend the skyline into the north loop, hopefully will be the impetus for more high rise density in this area; this may be the first step in developing a "Twinsville" high rise district like what we might see in San Diego near PETCO field.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 18th, 2013, 12:43 pm

It should be 28 stories! Don't developers know anything?
(kidding)
They should have reduced it to 10 stories. Don't they know tall buildings are uneconomical!?!
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2013, 12:55 pm

So I got excited and made a quick model @ about 290 ft, just to see what the impact would be from multiple angles. Just for Giggles, nothing concrete here obviously.

From North Loop Strip Bldg https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmy7o7nr9ee4g ... 03%201.jpg

From HWY 55 Approach https://www.dropbox.com/s/otfaqfxtuky5j ... 03%202.jpg

From Twins Stadium https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fxm7zpwqzld4 ... 03%203.jpg

From Washington Ave near ING https://db.tt/VZKTxRPT

From Nic Island https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwqm1r3tji39a ... 03%205.jpg

From i394 Approach https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezzpj6jr5ue0s ... 03%206.jpg

From NE near Mill and Main https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr9bnn1hxlznr ... 03%207.jpg
Last edited by Nathan on October 18th, 2013, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 18th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Pretty cool that it will poke out over the stadium like that. Reminds me of those awesome twinsville renderings.
Towns!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 18th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Seriously, how cool would it be to have a deck overlooking Target Field? Actually, it surprises me this is the first proposal with such views...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 19th, 2013, 10:04 am

The 1st and 3rd pics were awe-inspiring and brightened my day. The 2nd and 4th pics brought me immediately back down to Earth.

Is there any timeline on this? Very fun though to have an upgrade for once (or twice, if 4Marq is also upgraded), and this will be a very fitting exclaimation mark to their project and presence in the North Loop. I was actually kind of wondering if they were going to do something fairly substantial with one of the remaining phases of this project (also potentially the office/mixed-use portion) because it seems that nationally Hines is making big waves with big projects.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » October 19th, 2013, 1:32 pm

The amenities of the coming Interchange, the great nightspots of the NL, game-day excitement in the neighborhood, expanded green space, prospects of a new downtown school, the potential for true high-speed Zip Rail and the added security of having the transit police headquarters at it's core, combine to make this area fertile for sustained, robust residential, commercial, hospitality development and a powerful lure to bring commerce and visitors to this amazing area.

Twenty years from now, don't be surprised to see a thriving cosmopolitan district comprised of a dozen or more 25-40 story buildings, filing out the area bounded by the stadium on one side, the Farmers Market to the north and onward toward the Basilica -- all linked by an expanded, comprehensive, 24-hour-a-day LRT system and dedicated Zip Rail line to Rochester's Destination Medical Center.

Imagine living in such a district, boarding a Zip Rail train in the morning, traveling 150-210 mph, arriving at your job in Rochester a mere 30 minutes later. After work, back on the high speed train to catch a Twins game or concert at Target Field or dinner at Bar LaGrassa with friends, then on to enjoy a live set at Bunkers, concluding with a short stroll home. Awesome.

2trill2spill
Block E

Re: Dock Street Flats Phase II

Postby 2trill2spill » October 22nd, 2013, 6:42 pm

I agree, i feel that the north loop is reaching a critical mass in the next 5 years or so, especially if the city puts in some parks and a school or two.
Once all these amenities are in place i believe the north loop will continue to grow despite any economic slowdowns albeit at a slower rate.

But Minneapolis has a good amount towers proposed or already going up. There's this proposal, the two under construction, the atlus one, 4marq, that hotel on first, the hines office project, the ryan project's two towers and that 13 story in the U. I expect all the apartment towers to go up, i bet the developers are banking that if there is a significant increase in the vacancy rate the owners will just convert to condos. But i don't think the hines office project will pan out but i hope im wrong. But ima check out some kansas city and some milwaukee forums because its seems like we could have the second most towers proposed or under development in the midwest. i feel like kansas city and millwaukee are the only contenders besides the obvious, chicago.

wchirsch
Block E

Postby wchirsch » October 22nd, 2013, 7:51 pm

I live in Kansas City, there really isn't much in the works here. One new apt tower downtown near power and light is supposed to break ground soon, maybe 25 floors, other than that, not much going on. Lots of proposals, but most never pan out

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 23rd, 2013, 6:25 am

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am

That's a lot of supposing...