Minneapolis Skyway System

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Sacrelicio » January 22nd, 2016, 3:25 pm

I agree with just about everything he said. Especially the ending:

"How can the skyways be improved? The non-uniform opening hours have burned me more than once as have the limited weekend hours. There needs to be better grocery options and more places to sit. And I still feel passionately about retrofitting the Nicollet Avenue light rail station to be enclosed and skyway-connected, effectively making the airport and Mall of America skyway-connected."
Count me in agreement as well.

Recent example: My Wife and I recently went to Dinner followed by a show at the Pantages on a Saturday Night. Living Downtown getting there was a simple, comfortable walk, a $50+ meal, followed by a show that was at least that much in additional spend. The only issue? the Show ended at 11:00pm, which meant a 6 block walk home in -10 degree weather.

In the Summer months of course this is no issue (although even there I'd argue that a heavy rain would dampen the evening), but given the climate the Skyway system keeps selling itself way short by hours of operation that actually discourage downtown patronage of the Food, Arts & Entertainment scene, lousy mapping/directions, and a generally highly disorganized, our-little-secret attitude to it's existence.

The irony is that the very businesses that seem to resist the promotion and support of the system are failing to realize that I'd be spending more $$$ downtown if I had better "shirtsleeves" access to things after hours and on weekends.

It's going to have to change as the Urban Influx continues.
Yeah I'm not a skyway fan myself but as long as we do have it, a more useful system would probably be better for everything/everyone.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 9th, 2016, 11:06 pm

So, the City of Minneapolis is once again looking to appoint people to various boards and commissions. As discussed recently in another thread that I'm not going to bother finding, the Skyway Advisory Committee has seventeen vacancies for its seventeen slots.
The City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Downtown Council would like to announce an open application process to join the Skyway Advisory Committee. The City of Minneapolis’ Skyway Policy calls for an advisory committee to advise the City Council on all matters related to skyways and funding of skyways.

The Skyway Advisory Committee is a group of 17 regular voting members, along with 4 ex-officio non-voting members representing the City of Minneapolis. The Committee meets as needed to review plans for the renovation and expansion of the Minneapolis skyway system. They also provide guidance for groups and individuals wishing to hold events in the skyway system. Each member serves a two-year term before re-applying.

Regular members shall be owners or occupants of a property connected to a Minneapolis skyway; as being part of the overall skyway system.
I know a few of you guys meet those requirements, if you want to apply. It doesn't appear to be too competitive to get in.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2016, 11:30 am

Eric Dayton hates the skyways, and he wants to do something about them.

http://mspmag.com/shop-and-style/ali-sh ... e-society/

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 15th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Good for him. At least I know where I won't run into him.
North Loop is pretty much skyway free, he should be happy there.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 15th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Not sure you're going to get people to the sidewalk until you fix the streets so they aren't dominated by speeding cars.

And yeah, having skyways probably helped lead the streets to that condition, but there are lots of American cities with no skyways and exactly the same streetscapes.

Which is to say, the skyways might be a problem, but they are not the first problem.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2016, 12:52 pm

The areas doing very well in retail and growth are skyway free too. Maybe there's a correlation.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 15th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Getting rid of lanes downtown is the solution. There's no reason a downtown street should have more than two lanes, with the possible exception of dedicated transit lanes. Wide sidewalks, bumpouts, and a pleasant pedestrian realm. And tear those parking ramp offenders down, especially Gateway Ramp.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 15th, 2016, 12:57 pm

The addition of vertical connectors will go far to cut down on total skyway/street disconnection. If you work downtown in a skyway connected building, it's rare to extemporaneously end up on the street, unless planned in advance. Ultimately, they aren't going anywhere and have their place, but there are two worlds downtown that could stand to meet from time to time.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Man we've been so conditioned

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 15th, 2016, 1:16 pm

The areas doing very well in retail and growth are skyway free too. Maybe there's a correlation.
There might be! But I think that the retail boom in the North Loop correlates more to the "retail follows rooftops" adage. Hundreds of condos and apartments were built between Washington and the river in the 2000-2008 timeframe, and now, starting in like 2011 or so, (or whenever) there's a retail resurgence in the adjacent commercial area.

Relative to that, the current downtown core housing boom started in, what, 2012 with the Soo Line and the Nic on 5th, so we're 4-5 years in. What was the North Loop retail scene like in 2005-2006?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 15th, 2016, 1:30 pm

So if we disagree we're conditioned? There are plenty of cities around the country with no skyway system and downtowns that are desolate. San Antonio's riverwalk is a unique feature compared to other cities, why not try to make the skyways a more positive experience by creating more open areas with seating, adding artwork, etc.?
I agree with bubzki2; create more vertical connectors, make it easier to get to the street level from them.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2016, 1:44 pm

You're set on your opinion, I'm set on mine.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 15th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Or maybe those areas are performing better because (1) we built a ton of housing in those areas about ten years ago, (2) there was almost zero retail there for a long time, allowing cheaper rents than the downtown core.

Meanwhile, downtown has only had a housing boom come online in the last 2-3 years, and even still have a large core where no one lives.

Again, skyways might be a factor, but it's hard to see them as the driving factor given the magnitude of the others in play.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Anything I say, you'll find a way to disprove it. Like I said, I have my opinion, you havd yours. I'm not going to argue this. Just gonna avoid the skyways.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » November 16th, 2016, 11:44 am

Not adding anything new, just chiming in. I've been a downtown resident for 16 years, and I love the skyway system. Well, maybe appreciate is a better word. I always opt for sidewalks, because it just humanly more normal, fresh air and city experiences, and as the crow flies, skyways don't have efficient traveling patterns.

There are a lot of little businesses that may never exist on the street. The thing that irritates a dull nerve are the disjointed skyway hours and the hours of operation of the businesses themselves. It really reeks of an "F You" to residents. It's 11-2 Mon-Fri, or screw off, asshole. I understand business and trimming the fat to make the most money. But for example, a few Sundays ago, I wanted to get a My Burger. I would've had an easier time getting into Fort Knox. Skyways closed, here, there. Of course the business wasn't even open anyway. I don't know if this is a chicken/egg thing or what. Maybe skyway businesses could hold an Open House weekend and test the waters of what non traditional hours could mean for them?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 16th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Couldn't Minneapolis put together some sort of fund/task force to standardize the skyways and make them more useful? (increased and consistent hours, more and better street-skyway connections, ect.)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 16th, 2016, 12:14 pm

To sushisimo's comment, I was pretty bummed that Naf Naf Grill wasn't open on Saturday, as they for sure would have gotten my business last weekend. We ended up going to Potbelly in IDS - pretty much the only fast/casual restaurant open on the skyway or street within the CBD, as far as I know (not including that one Arby's). We were there at 2pm on Saturday and it was relatively busy, considering the deadness all around it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 16th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Like an advisory committee?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 16th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Something with actual funds and teeth (authority) to improve things.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » November 16th, 2016, 1:34 pm

I love our skyway system and take particular joy when I'm able to navigate to some place new, even when walking on the street is more direct. We should focus on making what we have (the skyways) be the best they can be and realize that they are a unique feature of our city rather than trying to recreate what other cities have. I agree with most of the complaints that others have mentioned. Let's make the system better, not tear it down.