Minneapolis Skyway System

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby mattaudio » February 7th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Can we return this to its original location, connecting Nic on 5th to Gaviidae 2?
http://m.startribune.com/lifestyle/home ... 74971.html

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 7th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Can we return this to its original location, connecting Nic on 5th to Gaviidae 2?
http://m.startribune.com/lifestyle/home ... 74971.html
In order to do that they would have to remove or cut down the metal spires that would right now obstruct the placement of the skyway. That is part of the art part of the transit station so I'm not sure what kind of effect that would have on the rest of the station. I can tell you there is not space to put any stairs or elevator from the skyway to the station platform. Until there is a real density on the north end of the mall I don't see a need for that skyway at this time. IMO

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 7th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Agree that there's no need now, but there's going to be another 2,000 Xcel employees connected to the Nic on Fifth in mid-2016, and hopefully Opus will get something built on their lot not too long after that.

Probably unlikely that Centerpoint runs a skyway through their brand new office, though. Maybe 510 Marquette would be more amenable?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 7th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 8th, 2015, 1:08 pm

I think the most we'll see in awhile will be public skyway access starting at Xcel 2, then to Nic on Fifth, to 5th Street Towers, etc. And, what about a diagonal skyway from the Library to Xcel 2 *waits for emotional meltdowns*. But with the Library, I'm betting nothing will connect until Ritz gets developed. Then that to Xcel.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 9th, 2015, 6:09 am

The Ritz Block could also theoretically connect to a new development on the parking lot by the Family Justice Center (across Marquette) and from there to the Towle Building next door, or across 3rd St to 111 Washington, right?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 9th, 2015, 11:22 am

The Ritz Block could also theoretically connect to a new development on the parking lot by the Family Justice Center (across Marquette) and from there to the Towle Building next door, or across 3rd St to 111 Washington, right?
If you want another bandaid approach like the Thrivent building or the 100 Washington that sure could be done. I doubt the usage rate would justify the investment.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » February 9th, 2015, 11:27 am

I think the most we'll see in awhile will be public skyway access starting at Xcel 2, then to Nic on Fifth, to 5th Street Towers, etc. And, what about a diagonal skyway from the Library to Xcel 2 *waits for emotional meltdowns*. But with the Library, I'm betting nothing will connect until Ritz gets developed. Then that to Xcel.
I think your right we will just have to wait until Ritz block is developed before we see the Library connected. A diagonal skyway wouldn't work very well plus considering the Ritz block already plans on including the skyway it's in everybody's best interests to wait for the Ritz block development so they can help pay for the cost. One concern I do have is considering the Ritz blocks plans on building two different towers one "now" and one in the future I wonder what the design will look like. Meaning perhaps both towers will need to be built before the skyway will be built? Hopefully the skyway will be completed with the first Ritz block tower so we won't have to wait even longer before we can connect the skyway system. I'm sure the Nicollet Block development will be putting some pressure on Ritz to have a development that includes a full skyway segment on the completion of the 1st tower if they didn't have such a design from the get to.

Sure will be something grand to see the skyway connect all the way kitty corner to Whole Foods, I think it will make that grocery store much more accessible than Trader Joe's. I still think Trader Joe's might be making a big mistake if they plow through without a skwyway, sure they will still be successful but I do wonder what percent of sales they would be loosing without having the skyway.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » March 4th, 2015, 11:56 am

Have we seen/shared this map yet: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/ ... 6ty4xs.png

How accurate/useful is it? What would you change to make it more accurate and/or usable?
Found this version done by Carticulate while browsing the new Walker MN site...

Lots of other cool things on there as well: http://www.walkerart.org/minnesotabydesign

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 5th, 2015, 5:57 pm

That map is cute but it's trying too hard. Since people are on foot the arbitrariness of the "paths" increases confusion instead of lessening it. And the "transfer station" markings don't make any sense since, without a train car present, there's no transfer that takes place.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 5th, 2015, 9:05 pm

I would love to track down a map of the number/color coding system that I recall from around 1980. If you want to get to Powers, just follow the Green/4 (or something like that... my memory is a little fuzzy on the details.)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2015, 1:48 pm

How exactly does one enter the very northern end of the skyway system? Through the Churchill apartment building lobby? Is it open to the public (during the daytime)?

I'm heading to the Post Office, then hoping to backtrack to the core of downtown to do some other stuff. I don't think I've been north of 5th Street towers in the skyway before.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 6th, 2015, 1:53 pm

On a beautiful day like today? Shame.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 6th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Yes, there's an entrance on the Marquette side of the Churchill. It's open during the day.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » March 6th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I would love to track down a map of the number/color coding system that I recall from around 1980. If you want to get to Powers, just follow the Green/4 (or something like that... my memory is a little fuzzy on the details.)
You might be thinking of the Saint Paul skyway system; I know that used to be color-coded in the 80s and 90s. That said, color-coding the skyways is a solution in search of a problem.

One HUGE skyway improvement would be to standardize the doors, like in the St Paul skyway system. Automatic opening sliding doors are so much more convenient and amenable to large volumes of traffic passing through.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2015, 4:47 pm

On a beautiful day like today? Shame.
It was an intentional effort to see that end of the skyway. I don't get over to that area much. And it's not that nice out ;)

I'll post something later with my findings

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 21st, 2015, 6:09 pm

I've seen these signs in a couple different places now, and not at all near each other either. This one pictured, from the wrong side of Washington, in the commercial building next to The Churchill Apartments. Just yesterday I saw an identical sign (yellow too) in a building off 4th Ave S (don't remember if it was Thrivent or 701 3rd Ave or Accenture Tower).

Weird to see these signs at the very fringes of the skyway network (two distant corners too) but not at all in the heart of the system.

IMAG1262 by twincitizen, on Flickr

mulad

Postby mulad » March 21st, 2015, 6:18 pm

Who registered that trademark?

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » March 25th, 2015, 1:55 pm

There's one of those in the TCF Bank building as well. I think they are remnants from the 90s, perhaps? I actually do like their consistent and authoritative look.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 25th, 2015, 2:42 pm

It would be a cool (but expensive) guerrilla project to design & print a sheet of vinyl that size with a new logo, colors, include a map & just wrap it over the existing signs. Or ask to get the DID involved in skyway system wayfinding, I suppose.