Orchestra Hall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Orchestra Hall

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Didn't see any striking flutists, though there was a small group of Occupy protesters a couple blocks away.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2012, 11:42 am

The Orchestra Hall website has a webcam to view construction of the renovation project. The time-lapse movie is really cool!
http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/give- ... the-future

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » October 16th, 2012, 1:28 pm

That is a cool webcam. Thanks...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Does anyone else feel like this should have been done like three months ago? Not that they're in any rush, I guess.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 5th, 2013, 10:18 pm

That's funny, my brother and I made the same comment a couple of days ago...seems like they're dragging their feet....

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 6th, 2013, 1:08 am

I agree, but not until recently... when I was thinking, "Is that done yet?" ...did I realize how much work they were doing inside the actual hall too. Air system is being worked on seats were taken out, floors being restored and they also laid a new steam line into the buildings new basement.
That said, are they done yet?

Edit: Also the Plaza going for historic status may have a monkey currently stuck in the wrench.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 6th, 2013, 12:06 pm

They are about one month behind in construction with the building scheduled to be open by approx June 2013. They ran into some old foundation that had to be removed, and there were issues with underground utility pipes (this was according to the construction worker I spoke to around Thanksgiving).

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » January 7th, 2013, 7:42 am

dragging their feet? it's a one year project. if anything seems a rapid pace to me. they're adding a new lobby it's not a small addition. supposed to open in june/july seems pretty quick to me.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 7th, 2013, 12:22 pm

dragging their feet? it's a one year project. if anything seems a rapid pace to me. they're adding a new lobby it's not a small addition. supposed to open in june/july seems pretty quick to me.
I noticed today most of the steel frame for the new lobby is up. Very exciting project. The big question now is what will become of the beleaguered Peavey Plaza? I'm hoping some revised renovation plans surface soon. I'm thinking it will be closed all summer :(

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 7th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I noticed today most of the steel frame for the new lobby is up. Very exciting project. The big question now is what will become of the beleaguered Peavey Plaza? I'm hoping some revised renovation plans surface soon. I'm thinking it will be closed all summer :(
Shouldn't be long now until the National Historic Registrar has decided whether or not it is of National Historic Significance, at which point the Law Suit already filed against the city will be incredibly bolstered, and it would be tough for the city to win. (They'd be going up against the same MN law that saved the Armory)

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 7th, 2013, 1:11 pm

I hope there is going to be a decent orchestra playing in the hall once it does open. :(

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Well I wasn't thinking of the timeline they set out, it's just funny to think that you can build a 36 story skyscraper in about a year and a half and a three story concert hall takes a year. Different construction, for sure, but even then you'd think the hundreds of toilets in the skyscraper would take more time to install than some acoustic panels. I just walk by it pretty much everyday and it seems to be crawling, but then again I don't know anything.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 7th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Shouldn't be long now until the National Historic Registrar has decided whether or not it is of National Historic Significance
Is this in addition to the National Register of Historic Places?
Mnpreservation.org posted on Nov. 19th :
On Tuesday evening, November 13, the State Review Board of the Minnesota Historical Society unanimously approved the nomination of Peavey Plaza to the National Register of Historic Places. The next step is for the State Historic Preservation Office to forward the nomination to the National Park Service...
But I haven't heard any news since then...

Uptown46 posted this over in our Peavey Plaza reconstruction project thread on Nov. 20th
The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota also had an update on their blog yesterday:

http://www.mnpreservation.org/2012/11/1 ... vey-plaza/

Apparently the Alliance is going into some sort of mediation with the city in early December from the lawsuit they filed against the Peavey demolition.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

I'm friends with Peavey Plaza on facebook so I'll let ya'll know when something comes up ;)

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » January 8th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I hope we have have another summer of drunks, panhandlers, police-ambulance calls, drug dealers, and public urinating at Peavey Plaza. It's historic after all. :D

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 9th, 2013, 9:38 am

You forgot drug dealing police!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 9th, 2013, 11:53 am

I hope we have have another summer of drunks, panhandlers, police-ambulance calls, drug dealers, and public urinating at Peavey Plaza. It's historic after all. :D
What better way to follow up on the 15 years previous of deliberate negligent lack of maintenance and programming?

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 9th, 2013, 5:43 pm

http://d.pr/i/rfGZ

Tower crane is gone.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 10th, 2013, 12:48 pm

The project will proceed more rapidly now. The glass facade is going up on the front of the building, and the "city room's" concrete horizontal levelors are in place. The project is supposed to be completed in June.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2013, 9:38 am

The project will proceed more rapidly now. The glass facade is going up on the front of the building, and the "city room's" concrete horizontal levelors are in place. The project is supposed to be completed in June.
I thought you said "concrete horizontal elevators" and I was like :shock: did not see THAT in the rendering :D