Orchestra Hall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
at40man
Rice Park

Re: Orchestra Hall

Postby at40man » September 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm

that's funny you were able to just walk in off the street and actually got into the auditorium space itself. they are really emphasing security almost to the point of being fortress like.
Perhaps they ought to close and lock their doors. ;)

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » September 18th, 2013, 1:48 pm

that's funny you were able to just walk in off the street and actually got into the auditorium space itself. they are really emphasing security almost to the point of being fortress like.
You mean like they did to the musicians?

Too soon?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 18th, 2013, 4:55 pm

tell me about it. there were thousands of people at the musicians concert at lake harriet sunday. it's been quiet on the negotiating front the past couple days. i hope this is a good sign and something happens this week.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 18th, 2013, 7:44 pm

You mean like they did to the musicians?

Too soon?
Perhaps a Trojan Horse will do the trick! :mrgreen:

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » October 1st, 2013, 3:27 pm

I hope there is going to be a decent orchestra playing in the hall once it does open. :(
Sorry, I just had to quote myself. From last January. :cry:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » October 1st, 2013, 5:27 pm

National embarrassment! Really!

The leaders backing the lockout of the musicians must be held to account for costing our Minnesota artists the opportunity to play at Carnegie Hall and should for the deliberate inaction which forced out our world class maestro.

Check out the article that was on yesterday's MInnPost.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 1st, 2013, 6:58 pm

We all saw it coming. Osmo said he would leave if the Carnegie concerts were cancelled.

But it was still all I could do not to cry when I saw the official news that he was gone, along with likely most of the top musicians who made this orchestra truly great.

I don't have it in me to be angry right now. There's certainly a lot of blame to go around. Today I'm just sad.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 2nd, 2013, 5:58 am

it is really sad and the reality is that this orchestra will revert to what exists in cities such as kansas city or cincinnati. a minor league of sorts for players waiting for the chance to perform with symphonies in larger music capitals like nyc, chicago, philly, LA. an ensemble playing more pops than classics. the blame can go all around on this one. i never understood why these two parties couldn't even sit at the bargaining table. (and they basically didn't for the duration of this fiasco)

what major conductor is going to want to take up residence here after this mess?

i think the majority of this orchestra board should summarily resign. their crash and burn strategy has succeeded. and these musicians should look in the mirror also. they are not blameless in all of this. a 110 year old minneapolis cultural institution has become a sad farce.

Southside
City Center

Postby Southside » October 2nd, 2013, 11:35 am

The remaining musicians' fiat is foolish at best. Those who could get a comparable deal at another orchesta have done so already. The remaining musicians will have a difficult time earning anywhere near what management is offering now or has offered from the beginning; many will be lucky to even find work at a different full time orchestra.

These 'left over' musicians would be wise to consider a contract that will allow the long-term sustainability of their careers, which is exactly what management has offered them.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 2nd, 2013, 11:41 am

^ This is not even close to on topic. Admin?

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 2nd, 2013, 12:21 pm

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the MN Orchestra, but orchestras throughout the world have been and will continue to struggle (see below). As far as the Orchestra Hall and the renovations are concerned, I wonder what the board has in mind. Are they hoping to only attract visiting acts?

Berlin Philharmonic leads mass orchestra strike
http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/Art ... trike.aspx

"Over 100 German state and local orchestras have gone on strike, protesting against the steady decrease in jobs for orchestral musicians around the country."
Last edited by Unity77 on October 2nd, 2013, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 2nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

The remaining musicians' fiat is foolish at best. Those who could get a comparable deal at another orchesta have done so already. The remaining musicians will have a difficult time earning anywhere near what management is offering now or has offered from the beginning; many will be lucky to even find work at a different full time orchestra.

These 'left over' musicians would be wise to consider a contract that will allow the long-term sustainability of their careers, which is exactly what management has offered them.
^ This is not even close to on topic. Admin?
Although I don't agree with Southside's sentiment, I don't see how his comment is more off-topic than the other posts here lamenting the developments between Orchestra labor and management.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

I wasn't only referring to his/her post. ^ as in, above, is not on topic. It just so happened that his/her post had virtually no ancillary relation to the building that is Orchestra Hall. IMHO this thread needs moderation and should try to stay a bit more focused.

Southside
City Center

Postby Southside » October 2nd, 2013, 1:25 pm

I agree, the commentary on the Orchestra contract negotiations is off-topic.

The new lobby itself I happen to think is poorly timed (considering relations with labor) and a garish ode to short-term architectual fads at the expense of the building's modern, international style.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 3rd, 2013, 6:20 am

garish in what way? it's stone? how is that understated lobby an architectural fad exactly? i'm really searching to find something "garish" about that lobby addtion.

and the lobby money was separately raised. the orchestra musician money and other cultural endeavors has a pool of fundraising separate from the building. the building addtiona planning and fundraising took years. this addtion was 25 years planning and deliberation. if you don't think the new lobby was not sorely needed you probably never set foot in that building. the old lobby was meant as a 15 year bridge until something better was built. it stood for nearly 30. it was inadequate and sucked for anyone using the building.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 3rd, 2013, 10:08 am

^Bingo! I think it fits rather nicely, and the quality of the finishes is superb. The old lobby was too small and cramped. When I went to concerts I would "hold it" to avoid the crush of humanity. I am having a difficult time seeing how it conflicts with the rest of the building's architecture. I do, however, miss the old air intake tubes; I always thought those looked pretty cool.

I'm actually glad the funding had been cut several times. I approve of constructing the new lobby, but was nervous about the performance space being mucked around with too much.

I have noticed several of the windows facing Peavey Plaza have been covered with newspaper, presumably as a make-shift window shade. Hopefully they fix that soon! Now, if only Peavey Plaza could be restored to its original glory!

Southside
City Center

Postby Southside » October 3rd, 2013, 5:06 pm

The old lobby certainly was too small, but I liked the cleanness of the international style and how it harmonized with the auditorium.. This might be because I'm used to seeing it from above, but the new main window on 10th seems comically large, hence the garish.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » October 4th, 2013, 3:48 am

"US orchestras are greedy and overpaid"

"While the stand-off between Republicans and Democrats continues on Capitol Hill, another rancorous dispute has brought one of America’s great orchestras to a dead halt. The Minnesota Orchestra hasn’t played a note since October 2012. The reasons for this reveal the mind-set of greed and astonishing complacency that has brought several top tier US orchestras to the brink of ruin."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... rpaid.html

Considering not a single note of the MN Orchestra will be playing I hope for not to much longer. Might as well keep up with this being the MN Orchestra lock out thread.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 4th, 2013, 5:14 am

In the mean time I hope they are using it for high school talent contests. College as well.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 4th, 2013, 7:28 am

Wait.....that's a good point: who's going to play here? I mean, we're refurbishing this thing for the Minnesota Orchestra, no? The St. Paul Chamber Orchestra is getting their own digs.