ABC Parking Ramps

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Jfuss
Metrodome

ABC Parking Ramps

Postby Jfuss » November 7th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Indoor golf, playing fields, restaurants, retail, performance space coming soon to a parking ramp in downtown Minneapolis...

From KSTP
"It's a downtown development idea that's been around for more than a decade. And now, it's coming back from the dead: Golfing on the top of a parking ramp."

Entire story can be found here
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3211359.shtml

From the Strib
"Now, two groups, Downtown Rooftop Golf LLC and Downtown Rooftop Youth Center LLC, are proposing additional activities for the vast space, including playing fields, a running/walking track, clubhouse, retail/food outlets and perhaps a green roof performance space — in addition to some type of golf facility. Part of the space is expected to be indoors, part outdoors."

Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Ramp A

Postby Jfuss » November 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Here is some info from 2008 regarding using Ramp B for a tailgate plaza by the Minnesota Twins.

I also found a link to some golf dome renderings that were on The Journal's website back in 2008, however the link no longer works.

Courtesy of Ballparkmagic.com
MnDot rejects ideas for parking ramps rooftops
UPDATED June 5, 2008, 3:25pm

By Michelle Bruch

Patrons of the new ballpark could have had an unusual view of the parking ramps next door — the Minnesota Twins wanted to build bleacher seats, tailgating space or wind turbines on top of the ramp at North 5th Street & 2nd Avenue North, and another developer wanted to build a golf dome above the ramp at 9th Street and 1st Avenue North.

Staff at the Minnesota Department of Transportation turned down those ideas this week, saying they weren’t convinced the proposals provided the "highest and best use" for the airspace above the ramps. ...

The Minnesota Twins offered to lease the top level of Ramp "B" at 516 2nd Ave. N. for every home game and turn it into "Tailgate Plaza." The roof would have 125 tailgating locations, new lighting, sanitation facilities, and painted graphics. More than 400 bleacher seats would slope down the side of the parking ramp.

Another option the Minnesota Twins offered was a "city wind farm" above Ramp B. The vertical axial wind turbines would be placed on top of columns on the top level, with two small voltage management buildings on the roof for electrical control and monitoring equipment. The wind farm would provide year-round electricity generation to Downtown. ...

[Darryl Anderson, a staff member of the Minnesota Department of Transportation,] said the Twins’ proposal might be taken up in the future, however, and it could probably be done without a formal airspace leasing process.

Matt Hoy, the Twins’ director of operations, said he would be open to continued discussions about the ramp.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 7th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Cool ideas, but aren't there plenty of surface lots around that could serve similar purposes? I just wonder about ease of access, etc.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » November 7th, 2013, 4:33 pm

From The Journal Minneapolis 2007

A vision for a golf course in the sky
The $30 million project would add two stories to the "A" ramp, which is located at 101 N. 9th St., across from the Target Center. A fabric-like dome would cover the structure, and Downtown's legendary "Weatherball" could return to the skyline and offer color-coded weather forecasts from the ramp's rooftop. Inside, amenities would include a private clubhouse, 53 tee boxes, an 18-hole putting course, a 175-yard driving range, a pub and a patio facing Southwest Minneapolis.

Entire article
http://www.journalmpls.com/node/10656

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 8th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I'm confused. Are these proposals due to a lack of demand for parking here?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 8th, 2013, 12:47 pm

No, these proposals are due to a lack of golf downtown.
"Who rescued whom!"

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 8th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I'm glad society's WAR ON GOLF is finally starting to turn around.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » November 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Tall order, considering the weatherball was scrapped in 2000.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » November 9th, 2013, 9:11 am

Tall order, considering the weatherball was scrapped in 2000.
Can't we just put the Weatherball back on a parking ramp too?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 9th, 2013, 10:24 am

Not if it was actually sold for scrap as Mdcastle is saying. There is no longer a weather ball. It was recycles for the metals I would assume.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » November 9th, 2013, 4:46 pm

At one point I thought I had heard it was sitting in a warehouse somewhere on the State Fair grounds, but I guess I never looked into it beyond that. Alas. We could also just recreate one with nice energy efficient LEDs as a historical nod, but I'm sure that won't be happening even if I think it might be fun.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » November 9th, 2013, 7:47 pm

One of the TV stations did a story on what happened to the Weatherball a few years ago. It was donated to the State Fair, but remember there was pretty much zero investment the fairgrounds from the 1970s to the early 2000s. They kept it in storage the Cattle Barn, when they finally took it out in 2000 to look at it had deteriorated beyond repair so they sold it for scrap.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 10th, 2013, 11:03 am

I think San Diego has a cool driving range and putting green downtown. At least they use to.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 10th, 2013, 11:40 am

A white domed space and a green outdoor space, all nice as a way to reduce urban heat. Nice side effect to efficient use of central urban space. I'd never use it, but this is an amenity for someone that makes downtown more attractive. Hope it happens.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 14th, 2013, 10:01 pm

WCCO is teasing a story about the return of the weatherball. Watch the news for more...

Edit: they covered the history of the weatherball. They also plan to have a new WCCO logo tower on top of their newsroom on Nicollet that will mimic the old ball. It will be installed soon and lit in time for the holidazzle.

web

Postby web » November 15th, 2013, 1:12 am

holidazzle still happening?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 15th, 2013, 6:40 am

scaled back this year. downtown council hinted at something in the coming years just not the status quo

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 15th, 2013, 10:13 am

I think this year is going to be the last "holidazzle" but there will be something in the future, they're just not saying what.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 16th, 2013, 12:29 pm

The implication was that they wanted to spread the money spent on Hollidazzle throughout the entire downtown, rather than just on a nightly parade.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » November 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

WCCO is teasing a story about the return of the weatherball. Watch the news for more...

Edit: they covered the history of the weatherball. They also plan to have a new WCCO logo tower on top of their newsroom on Nicollet that will mimic the old ball. It will be installed soon and lit in time for the holidazzle.
I like that other people have still been thinking about it. It'll do. Just too bad it's not on a taller structure so it would be more visible outside of the immediate area. Hopefully if one of those aspirational observation towers that have floated around here on the fantasies and speculations side is ever built, they'll put a nice shiny LED one right at the top.