Downtown Riverfront - Mill Ruins Park - Waterworks

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MattW
Rice Park

Re: Downtown Riverfront - Mill Ruins Park - Waterworks

Postby MattW » October 10th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Secondly: the stairs down to the lower trail from the foot of the Stone Arch bridge have been broken all summer and chained off, but there was no signage directing visitors to use the other set of stairs (closer to the A Mill) that are not blocked off. This MPRB complaint is valid all the time, not just during this event. Closing a popular park feature and not directing people to a safer alternative is just willful disregard for safety. People are naturally going to hop the barrier and use the dangerous broken stairs. Government needs to be smarter. Also, MPRB could have been fundraising for fixing the damn stairs. Thousands (tens of thousands?) visited over 3 days. Surely enough money could have been raised.
I run through Father Hennepin all the time. The set of stairs closest to the Stone Arch Bridge have been chained off for years.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Those stairs have been closed (and broken) for half a dozen years. It is nothing new this year.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 10th, 2020, 7:06 pm

but damn it would have been nice to see food trucks lined up along Main Street and at each end of the Stone Arch Bridge.
This also brings into question why there's no convenience store in St. Anthony Main. Rent too high? 7/11 where you at?
Would be great to have something along Main Street with all the new apartments. I remain surprised why that retail space that was formerly a high end pet store was taken over by the eye clinic for expansion. I can't believe an eye clinic is able to survive in this location while other retail/services struggle. A convenience store, or even liquor store makes sense, though I know Surdyks is a car ride away.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » October 10th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Those stairs have been closed (and broken) for half a dozen years. It is nothing new this year.
Having just taken those stairs this past Wednesday, they’re not even in that bad of shape. Mostly just need to replace some missing boards. I wonder why they’ve decided to ignore them instead of repairing them.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 11th, 2020, 7:07 am

I think it's more that the path to them on the bottom is washed out to the point that you can't get anywhere when the water level is up.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 11th, 2020, 7:33 am

Having just taken those stairs this past Wednesday, they’re not even in that bad of shape. Mostly just need to replace some missing boards. I wonder why they’ve decided to ignore them instead of repairing them.
My guess is $$$, specifically to meet code requirements. Something as simple as replacing boards still probably requires hiring an engineering firm, which then can lead to the conclusion that the whole thing needs to be replaced, etc. I'll ask Chris Meyer about it.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 11th, 2020, 9:29 am

Those stairs are definitely pulling away from the bluff. It's more than just repairs.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 17th, 2020, 11:22 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 17th, 2020, 11:44 am

I would love a ruin-walk line that proposal!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm

They labeled it as a “rouge path”.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Here's the project page. Emailed the staff contact for an update this morning.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/park_c ... -planning/

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » December 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Love. It.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 17th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Will it be possible to make steps without making ADA ramps too?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 18th, 2020, 10:33 am

So much yes! It's a real trek to get down to the lower part and water feature right now, and it seems to get almost no use.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 18th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Got a response! In classic Minnesota form, it's going to be 3-4 years until there's really.. anything.
We are just wrapping up the preliminary project now. We will have a cost estimate and virtual walkthrough movie of the concept in the coming weeks. That’ll be posted to the website too. This project was only funded through preliminary design, and will need more funding in the future to incorporate interpretive elements and of course to construct it. This preliminary work will be a catalyst to get more funding and it’ll likely be a few years before funding is secured.

The project would be a big win for the park and for the Mill City Museum. It’d bring some life to the hillside and offer a place to stop and relax and check out some interpretive displays or stop during a museum tour of the ruins.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 20th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Those round things in the river lock system generally don't look round from most angles. I'd like to see them painted in various colors, put masts and sails on them, light them up at night, perhaps even synchronize them for various things like the 4th of July fireworks. Something to jazz up the river. This city just doesn't have enough things that capture the mind and spirit. Not to mention sailboats are part of the city logo.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 27th, 2020, 10:02 am

Those round things in the river lock system generally don't look round from most angles. I'd like to see them painted in various colors, put masts and sails on them, light them up at night, perhaps even synchronize them for various things like the 4th of July fireworks. Something to jazz up the river. This city just doesn't have enough things that capture the mind and spirit. Not to mention sailboats are part of the city logo.
This is a fun idea. More visual interest and decoration for its own sake. Love it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 29th, 2021, 9:55 am

walked past this water works area yesterday and it looks amazing. still under construction but beautiful what they've done. in fact, i can't recall a time when the downtown riverfront looked better. that new pathway connection from the north loop to the riverfront is also awesome. and add in the new residential completes the picture.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » May 18th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Looks open finally. Fences have been removed.