Downtown Riverfront - Mill Ruins Park - Waterworks

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MattW
Rice Park

Re: Downtown Riverfront - Mill Ruins Park - Waterworks

Postby MattW » October 10th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Secondly: the stairs down to the lower trail from the foot of the Stone Arch bridge have been broken all summer and chained off, but there was no signage directing visitors to use the other set of stairs (closer to the A Mill) that are not blocked off. This MPRB complaint is valid all the time, not just during this event. Closing a popular park feature and not directing people to a safer alternative is just willful disregard for safety. People are naturally going to hop the barrier and use the dangerous broken stairs. Government needs to be smarter. Also, MPRB could have been fundraising for fixing the damn stairs. Thousands (tens of thousands?) visited over 3 days. Surely enough money could have been raised.
I run through Father Hennepin all the time. The set of stairs closest to the Stone Arch Bridge have been chained off for years.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Those stairs have been closed (and broken) for half a dozen years. It is nothing new this year.

Austinite
City Center

Postby Austinite » October 10th, 2020, 7:06 pm

but damn it would have been nice to see food trucks lined up along Main Street and at each end of the Stone Arch Bridge.
This also brings into question why there's no convenience store in St. Anthony Main. Rent too high? 7/11 where you at?
Would be great to have something along Main Street with all the new apartments. I remain surprised why that retail space that was formerly a high end pet store was taken over by the eye clinic for expansion. I can't believe an eye clinic is able to survive in this location while other retail/services struggle. A convenience store, or even liquor store makes sense, though I know Surdyks is a car ride away.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » October 10th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Those stairs have been closed (and broken) for half a dozen years. It is nothing new this year.
Having just taken those stairs this past Wednesday, they’re not even in that bad of shape. Mostly just need to replace some missing boards. I wonder why they’ve decided to ignore them instead of repairing them.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 11th, 2020, 7:07 am

I think it's more that the path to them on the bottom is washed out to the point that you can't get anywhere when the water level is up.

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 11th, 2020, 7:33 am

Having just taken those stairs this past Wednesday, they’re not even in that bad of shape. Mostly just need to replace some missing boards. I wonder why they’ve decided to ignore them instead of repairing them.
My guess is $$$, specifically to meet code requirements. Something as simple as replacing boards still probably requires hiring an engineering firm, which then can lead to the conclusion that the whole thing needs to be replaced, etc. I'll ask Chris Meyer about it.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » October 11th, 2020, 9:29 am

Those stairs are definitely pulling away from the bluff. It's more than just repairs.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.