Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Current & Proposed Downtown Minneapolis Projects

Postby Wedgeguy » September 4th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Unless they are planning on mini micro suites I don't see enough floor plate for decent sized rooms. 2 of the 4 floor have walls adjacent to their wall so no windows for those two levels on the east side. Quite small windows on the west side facing the alley and the Hotel M only on the upper 2 levels. Not sure of the window situation on the upper 2 level of the east side. But a parking ramp level will be directly outside your room window.
The are buy for a Million, and they will have to cut larger windows in to get rid of the claustrophobic feel. You will have to spend a lot of money on plumbing which is not cheap. I don't know how they have the room count to make it fly!!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 5th, 2014, 8:33 pm

On the alatus website there is mention of a future development project on both the surface lots on Hawthorne between 10th and 11th. Any info on this or is this all just speculation

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 5th, 2014, 8:49 pm

On the alatus website there is mention of a future development project on both the surface lots on Hawthorne between 10th and 11th. Any info on this or is this all just speculation
They own both sites, but at this point I have never seen anything really proposed since the condo boom when they were working to get Lunds as part of one of the block. So it is just out there in case someone else wants to partner with them on a future project.
Personally I see that sitting dormant until much of the North Loop's land values start getting to far out of reach. Maybe once the Mall is revitalized that area of town may become more of a hot spot as it is very close to the downtown core and the Mall. At this point it only has Lund's as an amenity to draw people. The area does not have a lot going on for potential to the south and west of it due to 394. It is the southern fringe of downtown and unlike the North Loop as little potential to be much of a retail hub without several massive highrises to bring in enough people to support it.
The other draw back is you are looking at mega projects to fill the block up. Unless they can figure a way to do it in logical phases it will be too much to absorb at one time. Even if you are doing a block at a time.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 5th, 2014, 9:25 pm

They own both sites, but at this point I have never seen anything really proposed since the condo boom when they were working to get Lunds as part of one of the block. So it is just out there in case someone else wants to partner with them on a future project.
Personally I see that sitting dormant until much of the North Loop's land values start getting to far out of reach. Maybe once the Mall is revitalized that area of town may become more of a hot spot as it is very close to the downtown core and the Mall. At this point it only has Lund's as an amenity to draw people. The area does not have a lot going on for potential to the south and west of it due to 394. It is the southern fringe of downtown and unlike the North Loop as little potential to be much of a retail hub without several massive highrises to bring in enough people to support it.
The other draw back is you are looking at mega projects to fill the block up. Unless they can figure a way to do it in logical phases it will be too much to absorb at one time. Even if you are doing a block at a time.
Something, anything needs to happen on those three blocks of surface lots along 11th. Its a huge disconnect between the residential area of northern loring park and the downtown core. IMO it would be great for a school.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 5th, 2014, 9:32 pm

A school might work on the old Ramada site, but you really need residential and retail fronting Hennepin Ave. But with Harbor Light and the Salvation Army shelters, I don't see a school going in there unless the shelters were to move.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 5th, 2014, 9:42 pm

2 20-30 story condos with retail on the bottom would be really good. It wouldn't have trouble with vacancy with being so close to 3 major sports teams; lynx, t-pups and twinkies. And it would be close to first ave, the theater district, grocers, a large park and downtown

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 5th, 2014, 9:46 pm

2 20-30 story condos with retail on the bottom would be really good. It wouldn't have trouble with vacancy with being so close to 3 major sports teams; lynx, t-pups and twinkies. And it would be close to first ave, the theater district, grocers, a large park and downtown
You are correct with those, but until the shelters are moved which would not be an easy thing. I see not that much of a market for condo's on those blocks. I see residential and retail between Hennepin and 1st. I think that office might be the best use of the old Ramada site.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 5th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Isn't the need for condos on the upswing though? I feel like there will be more proposals for condos in this part of downtown soon. I with Mary's place would expand to accommodate more homeless

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 6th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Mary's Place is more for homeless families, where Harbor Light's is more for homeless single folks. There maybe some cross over. But the Harbor Lights is a large facility to replace as far as bed units go. Mary could not afford to even add half enough capacity to allow for Harbor Lights to close. The Salvation Army is already looking to close and sell their property in the North Loop on 4th and 10th. They have living facilities above the store that will need to be replaced if that is closed and sold.
You are correct in the future need for condos, but having a homeless shelter next door will not get you many buyers I'm afraid.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby mamundsen » September 11th, 2014, 5:40 am

Top of the IDS is Red, White and Blue today.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 11th, 2014, 6:59 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 11th, 2014, 7:21 am

Ish, ice bucket challenge isn't going to be any fun this morning! Good on them though!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2014, 7:34 am

and growing! that's good!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 11th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Ish, ice bucket challenge isn't going to be any fun this morning! Good on them though!
Definitely not fun.

But really, they're just so late to the game. My Facebook has finally cleared of them for the most part. Kinda shows how far behind corporations can be. :D

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 11th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Definitely not fun.

But really, they're just so late to the game. My Facebook has finally cleared of them for the most part. Kinda shows how far behind corporations can be. :D
It could be worse, my company just made a Harlem Shake video :oops:

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » September 12th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Interesting insights from one of minneapolis' most prolific developers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOR93a ... ud&index=3

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 13th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Valspar always confused me. When you go to Home Depot and take a look at their paint cans they say "Valspar Corporation, Wheeling Illinois." You'd think it would say Minneapolis.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 14th, 2014, 6:33 pm

More info on the botique hotel plan in the Federal Plaza building

http://www.startribune.com/business/274981411.html

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 15th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Valspar always confused me. When you go to Home Depot and take a look at their paint cans they say "Valspar Corporation, Wheeling Illinois." You'd think it would say Minneapolis.
That is possibly where their production facilities are located. Minneapolis maybe where their headquarters and R&D is at. But I can't say that they have any production facilities here in the Twin Cities area anymore. Remember that Valspar has bought other companies that probably had newer production facilities that were more up to date with pollution standards that they utilized when they took those companies over.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 15th, 2014, 1:12 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspar
In 1932, the Valspar Corporation was formed, with Valentine & Company retained as a subsidiary. In 1960, Valspar merged with Ralph Baudhuin's Rockcote, which gave them more manufacturing in the Midwestern United States and a new headquarters in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. Under the leadership of Ralph and F. J. Baudhuin, Valspar averaged almost two acquisitions per year through the 1960s. In June 1970, Valspar merged with Minnesota Paints and relocated to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and its former president, C. Angus Wurtele, became chairman of Valspar in 1973. The influx of cash from this latest acquisition boosted Valspar's acquisition power and by the end of the decade, their annual revenue had increased by $74 million.