Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Current & Proposed Downtown Minneapolis Projects

Postby Nathan » September 15th, 2014, 1:14 pm

the granite arch above the front door is the most beautiful feature on the building and they're getting rid of it? a little upsetting.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 15th, 2014, 1:18 pm

the granite arch above the front door is the most beautiful feature on the building and they're getting rid of it? a little upsetting.
I actually thought the same thing...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 15th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Does sound like the partners have a strong hotel background. The difficult part will be marketing and playing with the big guys. If they can have a good room rate they may be able to do well. I see parking as an issue like many other hotels here in the downtown area. While a plus is this will be within easy walking distance of the LRT stations on 5th. Not sure if they would have a way to get connected to the skyways or not. With the Century Link parking ramp next door I have a hard time figuring out their room configuration. Doubt that they can have rooms without windows. What they do have for windows may need to be enlarged and added to for number count.

I've seen sure bets fail and long shots go on to surprise critics with a great success. They have the back ground, they may just surprise me with a great product.

The granite arch is out of place on this building as it is. It was someones misguided attempt to make the building look newer, but it fails to fit in with the rest of the linear aspect of the rest of the windows. The first floor reface helps to reenforce that aspect.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Is this old news? I remember seeing a very similar render but this looks even more professional
The Minneapolis 360 Tower Proposal (pictured) aims to establish a new urban district, enriching the city of Minneapolis. The 1,500,000-square-foot building is envisioned as a landmark project on the skyline while positively enhancing the pedestrian experience. Proposed to occupy what is now a surface parking lot, the project’s design intensifies the street by creating a gateway on Hennepin Avenue, anchored by a diverse mixed-use program. The broader vision of the project included workforce housing and green space on the adjacent block, supporting the development of a live/work district within the city.
http://www.archfieldoffice.com/architec ... t-of-view/

http://www.archfieldoffice.com/wp-conte ... -copy1.jpg

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 18th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I'm taking that proposal is on the block bound by Hennepin, 10th, 11th, and Hawthorne?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Probably the one, was just looking through Mic Johnson's profile and found the site. I remember seeing the building or something similar brought up before and now they're saying "proposed" and it has me wondering

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 18th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 18th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Is this old news? I remember seeing a very similar render but this looks even more professional
The Minneapolis 360 Tower Proposal (pictured) aims to establish a new urban district, enriching the city of Minneapolis. The 1,500,000-square-foot building is envisioned as a landmark project on the skyline while positively enhancing the pedestrian experience. Proposed to occupy what is now a surface parking lot, the project’s design intensifies the street by creating a gateway on Hennepin Avenue, anchored by a diverse mixed-use program. The broader vision of the project included workforce housing and green space on the adjacent block, supporting the development of a live/work district within the city.
http://www.archfieldoffice.com/architec ... t-of-view/

http://www.archfieldoffice.com/wp-conte ... -copy1.jpg
It looks like an ice castle turret. Kind of a perfect fit

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2014, 4:47 pm

I hears that the two story Episcopal Church office building at Groveland and Clifton is potentially going to be torn down to make way for a few floors of below grade parking and ~4 stories of market rate senior housing. Loring Park's fillin' in.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2014, 11:01 pm

That seems very cost-prohibitive considering the scale of the development!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 19th, 2014, 11:52 pm

I know that it sounds expensive but they have had parking problems for years and since they are a non profit this rental model could both pay for the parking and increase attendance... That land is valuable but I was thinking that 4 stories was not tall enough to produce enough revenue.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2014, 9:13 am

I know that it sounds expensive but they have had parking problems for years and since they are a non profit this rental model could both pay for the parking and increase attendance... That land is valuable but I was thinking that 4 stories was not tall enough to produce enough revenue.
4 stories maybe all they can get by with at this site without affecting the church views. Remember this area of town does not like anything over 4 stories or they put up a hissy fit.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 20th, 2014, 3:51 pm

That site slopes away pretty quickly, to the point that two stories that are underground on one end of the site would be completely above grade at the other.

We'd have to go back to the old forum, but once upon a time there was a neighborhood endorsed plan for the site that was quite a bit taller than four stories, with some very nice massing and setbacks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2014, 11:58 am

...do you know of any publicly accessible parking in the immediate area that could serve residents around here who don't have off-street parking of their own?
There's the giant, mostly empty Walker garage that's just across the street...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 12:01 pm

Not very walkable, even after the upcoming enhancements, due to the Lyndale-Hennepin Cluster.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 23rd, 2014, 12:02 pm

...do you know of any publicly accessible parking in the immediate area that could serve residents around here who don't have off-street parking of their own?
There's the giant, mostly empty Walker garage that's just across the street...
You mean the obnoxiously busy street? Cuz that's fun to cross.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2014, 12:14 pm

FYI reminder, tomorrow and Thursday are the Development displays at the IDS Crystal Court. I'm looking forward to this exhibit.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2014, 12:38 pm

Agreed that it's no fun to cross. But I think you'll be hard-pressed to convince somebody that they can make money on parking, when there's a giant money losing garage literally 500 feet away.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 12:42 pm

Maybe because you can park for free literally 500 feet away from the garage. I drove around Loring Park yesterday (I know I drove, I'm sorry) and there was literally no parking in sight. I drove about 8 blocks up and down before I said screw it and parked off of Summit closer to the walker. Loring needs parking

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » September 23rd, 2014, 1:56 pm

http://www.beinbusinessdowntownmpls.com/

Someones trying to make it easier to get more downtown. No surprise here, it's Sport Ngin!