Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 10:34 am

Other out-of-town coastal elites will probably be leaning heavily on Uber, etc.
"coastal elites", lol!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 25th, 2018, 10:37 am

Thanks, I try.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » January 25th, 2018, 11:59 am

Woooooow.

All I've heard, parkingwise, is a co-worker complaining that his contract spot in the C Ramp isn't letting him park there on gameday. Not that he'd be coming downtown that day anyway, but he feels he should be refunded the $4 or whatever his contract works out to per day.
There's likely some stipulation in his contract that allows them to do that, but if not he shouldn't be asking for $4, he should be asking for $200 (assuming that's the going rate). They are effectively forcing him to sublet his spot for free when the market value is $200...

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 25th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Yeah, I guess I'm surprised that they think there will be that much parking demand for the game. Nobody staying at the downtown hotels will need parking; presumably all of the outlying hotels will be running shuttles. They've set up the Blue Line and Green Line to offer pre-screened express service. Other out-of-town coastal elites will probably be leaning heavily on Uber, etc. I'd expect that there will be less demand than at a typical Vikings game, right?
I imagine locals might be visiting coastal elites who are staying downtown, and other fans just want to be near the game in a bar downtown. It’s the whole vibe thing. (Not that I care.)

P.S. If one moves to Minnesota, is one still a coastal elite, if originally from the coast?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 25th, 2018, 1:22 pm

P.S. If one moves to Minnesota, is one still a coastal elite, if originally from the coast?
That depends. If you move to Minneapolis or St. Paul, you become simply the "urban elite.

If you move outstate, you become a "real American" and are lauded as proof that everyone eventually wants to move out of urban areas.

If you move outstate but maintain a relationship with the Washington Post, you'll be "that reporter"

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 25th, 2018, 11:50 pm

FYI the Super Bowl audience is heavily made up of corporate types on expense accounts.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 1st, 2018, 4:53 pm

Unlocked, MNDOT Commissioner is talking up freeway lids (in particular, downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul ones) as a way to bring in more money for roads.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/02/ho ... al-estate/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2018, 9:12 am

Cue the @mister.shoes fantasy map of a Downtown East lid and redo?

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 6th, 2018, 9:46 am

Once again... YES PLEASE!

Especially the rerouting of 4th St to the north of the LRT tracks next to the stadium
Urbanist in the north woods

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 9:48 am

This needs to be done. It's amazing to see how much real estate the interchanges take up. I wonder if they could sell the space that'll be freed up to the University of Minnesota for an expansion of the West Bank Campus? (Having this contract might help get construction started.) Construction would really hinder traffic. Maybe they could constructed the ramps first and then build the lid around them. (On a side note it's neat to see that the old Dome is still around.)

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2018, 9:54 am

It looks like there isn't a way to exit 35 north into downtown?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2018, 10:03 am

Looks like you would take the ramp that connects to the 4th St / 14th Ave intersection, then continue north on 14th and take a left on 3rd or Washington.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 7th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Looks like you would take the ramp that connects to the 4th St / 14th Ave intersection, then continue north on 14th and take a left on 3rd or Washington.
I thought the same until I remembered that currently that ramp is coming from Hiawatha/55, not 35W.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 9th, 2018, 9:41 am

I assume that HNA Group, the buyer of the Carlson Hotels division, would move the staff to 33 South Sixth since they own the building. Makes sense to fill their own building instead of leasing from someone else.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/HNA- ... ter/187248
Looks like HNA is selling 33 South Sixth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -on-market

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2018, 9:59 am

Nice little development roundup in The Journal: http://www.journalmpls.com/news/develop ... orth-loop/

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 13th, 2018, 12:09 am

I thought the same until I remembered that currently that ramp is coming from Hiawatha/55, not 35W.
The 35W and Hiawatha ramps merge just to the south of the dream map, so there’s access from both into downtown. When I made this, I cropped it such that nothing changed outside the image itself—and I just realized the ramp from 94 to 5th needs moving to 7th.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 21st, 2018, 3:17 pm

It's an office tower!

No, it's a residential tower!

No! It's a coworking space!

No it... it's... a hotel!?

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ml?ana=twt

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2018, 6:24 pm

Disappointing that there are no plans to change that congested nightmare of a skyway corridor.

Also, "the forthcoming renovation of The Dayton’s Project which will add several hundred thousand square feet of class B office space." I'm not clear on what exactly the differences are between Class A and Class B office space, but are they really spending hundreds of millions of dollars renovating Dayton's to only get Class B space?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » February 21st, 2018, 7:21 pm

Disappointing that there are no plans to change that congested nightmare of a skyway corridor.

Also, "the forthcoming renovation of The Dayton’s Project which will add several hundred thousand square feet of class B office space." I'm not clear on what exactly the differences are between Class A and Class B office space, but are they really spending hundreds of millions of dollars renovating Dayton's to only get Class B space?
Unlikely, but the B versus A thing is becoming increasingly arbitrary. Tenants want new, unique space in a building with a lot of amenities. They don't care if a broker is calling it A or B.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 22nd, 2018, 9:31 am

The distinction seems to be that Class A is brand new, while Class B isn't. You can renovate a Class B space to the point that it's Class A caliber, but the fact that it's not new construction is where they draw the line.