Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2014, 6:32 pm

https://streets.mn/wp-content/upload ... umbers.png

Yeah we've got a long, LONG way to go in adding residents to the core of downtown. Let's eradicate as many of those 0s as possible!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 18th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I think easier said than done. For starters, you've got the Radisson tower, full height, that's going to require some significant setbacks. The Macy's building also is, what, 12 stories tall? So no windows on that long facade until you're half way up.

Not to mention that Macy's and many other businesses' clientele use the hell out of that ramp.

Which is not to say that it couldn't work, but I think there are many other more attractive less problematic sites than this one.

I'd say the Skyway site by itself would be a better bet.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 18th, 2014, 7:26 pm

Plus, who doesn't love the alley? Just so no to closing alleys.

*I suupose a supertall with narrow floor plates would work.*
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2014, 9:04 am

I think easier said than done. For starters, you've got the Radisson tower, full height, that's going to require some significant setbacks. The Macy's building also is, what, 12 stories tall? So no windows on that long facade until you're half way up.

Not to mention that Macy's and many other businesses' clientele use the hell out of that ramp.

Which is not to say that it couldn't work, but I think there are many other more attractive less problematic sites than this one.

I'd say the Skyway site by itself would be a better bet.
But no one said anything about eliminating parking. With multiple retail and residential use above similar parking could go below. Obviously it's not a reality, but it's definitely a possibility (for when easier parcels are gone)

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » November 19th, 2014, 9:42 am

The ramp is certainly no thing of beauty, but I would really hate to see the old Daytons auditorium go. I have many fond memories of the Christmas displays and flower shows. Growing up, I think it was one of the coolest things about downtown.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 9:56 am

I hear that there were concerts and events in the Dayton's Auditorium in the 60s/70s. Is it even used anymore these days, besides the Christmas show?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 19th, 2014, 10:27 am

that ramp, daytons/radisson, has to be oldest left downtown? still best place to park for first avenue shows.

that alley has bailed me out from horrible 7th st traffic on than one occassion. most recently the paul mccartney concert.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 10:33 am

The ramp at 9th and LaSalle may be older, or possibly the ramp at 10th/Marquette? But yes Dayton/Radisson must be one of the oldest. Possibly the oldest.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 19th, 2014, 10:44 am

The ramp at 9th and LaSalle may be older, or possibly the ramp at 10th/Marquette? But yes Dayton/Radisson must be one of the oldest. Possibly the oldest.
The Dayton's Ramp is the 3rd oldest, built in 1959. The ramps at 9th and LaSalle and at 4th and Marquette were both built in 1950.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » November 19th, 2014, 11:06 am

I hear that there were concerts and events in the Dayton's Auditorium in the 60s/70s. Is it even used anymore these days, besides the Christmas show?
They still have the flower show. In the 1960's Daytons used to host dances called Teen Nights.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 19th, 2014, 11:15 am

doesnt macy's put on that elf show still in the auditorium. before macy's there was actually time and consideration put into this annual presentation. now macy's just trots out the same theme every year.

go to new york main macy's and it's like an extravaganza of holiday over-the-top decorations. here in minny macys is very scrooge like.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » November 19th, 2014, 11:41 am

doesnt macy's put on that elf show still in the auditorium. before macy's there was actually time and consideration put into this annual presentation. now macy's just trots out the same theme every year.
Apparently a lot of people feel the same way:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/10/1 ... lay-again/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Speaking of the alley loved by this forum, there's a picture of it on p3 of this Stewart Woodman profile.
http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2014/11 ... ed_him.php

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 1st, 2014, 2:03 pm

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 2nd, 2014, 10:23 am

Twins plan $2.5 million in changes to Target Field.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 95431.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 8th, 2014, 12:39 pm

It's looking somewhat likely that the City Council may cut funding for Meet Minneapolis and the Holiday Market in 2015 in order to preserve the lower levy increase of 2.2% (instead of 2.4%), while dedicating that savings to the new clean energy partnership and equity positions that were cut last week as a result of the reduction.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm

It's looking somewhat likely that the City Council may cut funding for Meet Minneapolis and the Holiday Market in 2015 in order to preserve the lower levy increase of 2.2% (instead of 2.4%), while dedicating that savings to the new clean energy partnership and equity positions that were cut last week as a result of the reduction.
I'm ok with that. If you're going to cut, better to cut the public subsidy to a private activity. Id 'still rather they restored the levy. As usual, I agree with Javier:
Last night on Almanac a council member justified her vote for the ‪#‎LatteLevy‬ cuts by saying she's concerned about people paying 60k a year in property taxes. That is a very high amount so I've been looking around property tax records and it looks like, in order to pay that much in property taxes you'd have to own a home worth upwards of $3 million. What the what? I mean anyone living like that no harm, but, seriously, cry me a river. It reminds me of one of my favorite protest signs, "They only call it class warfare when we fight back."

If that's the logic behind cutting an innovative Clean Energy Partnership and programs that serve low income communities of color, well, I guess that says it all. I don't know who is providing counsel to the Council Member, but maybe rethink and regroup.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Symphony place sold to TIAA-CREF, significant upgrades to the units, common areas, and retail/office space coming soon: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/12/tia ... partments/

In addition to Symphony Place's own above-ground parking ramp, the other 3/4 of this block is the city-owned Marquette-11th parking ramp, clocking in at 1,100 spaces.

A block away is the full block Leamington Ramp, with 2,000 spaces. There's also the underground ramp under the Hilton, with 1,200 spaces(!) and the underground ramp under the Convention Center plaza with another 900. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/parking/other/index.htm

Ya think maybe it's time to redevelop the 3/4 block around Symphony Place instead of having so much parking in this area? The rest of those facilities probably aren't going away anytime soon.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 10th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Having toured Symphony Place while looking at apartments a year or two ago, the units were pretty bare and in somewhat rough shape. With the rents they want to charge, news like this isn't too surprising.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 10th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Sad how ugly this place meets/greets the street.