Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » November 4th, 2014, 12:55 pm

While I think that's a bit of a head scratcher, Nolan is kind of a wild card himself, and I don't think that single endorsement is enough to declare that the Strib is marching to the right.
While I'm not sure it necessarily signals a turn to the right, it is strange.
"The Star Tribune endorsed Stewart Mills for Congress. His policies? Not so much"
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... ot-so-much

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » November 4th, 2014, 2:13 pm

It just means that the Strib wants to keep selling ad space to Mills Fleet Farm.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 6th, 2014, 10:43 am

From the CPC agenda, Carew Drive (small stub between 6th and 7th) near the Vikings Stadium is having its name returned to 9th Ave S.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 6th, 2014, 11:09 am

We have finalists for The Commons: http://www.startribune.com/blogs/281786551.html

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 6th, 2014, 1:28 pm

just give this to the olin/snow group and let them work their magic.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 7th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Streetscapes: Federal Office Building gets a makeover at 100
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/281948231.html

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Wow! I never would have guessed that the interior was that beautiful. I will definitely need to make a visit in the near future!
Thanks for the post mattaudio!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 7th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Wow! I never would have guessed that the interior was that beautiful. I will definitely need to make a visit in the near future!
Thanks for the post mattaudio!
I figured that it had to be a sharp building that had been modernized in the 50's and 60's and had lost it's classic looks. I have seen the dropped ceilings from the windows so I was sure that all that made it beautiful had been destroyed or covered over. Would Like to see them do something like they did with one of the federal building in San Fran and restore the historic section and build a tower behind were that Surface parking lot is. Glad to see how much of the classic look in the hallways is still intact. Not so sure about the other office space.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 7th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Maybe it could be modified to be a podium for a new tower.... ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Maybe it could be modified to be a podium for a new tower.... ;)
I would really like to see that. With the Latitude across the way a tower of any size would be a welcome addition. I think that is part of why this building has disappeared into the background. The depot grabs your eye when you come down 3rd. WHile this is a large building it is very short and set back from the street enough that you generally miss it. I think a 15 to 20 story tower would be great. But I don't think there are enough federal office tenants to consolidate, to make it workable at this time.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 8th, 2014, 9:47 am

Lots of info here about residential trends downtown, especially relating to towers. There are some details that I'm not sure I've seen confirmed before.

http://www.minnpost.com/line/2014/11/tw ... own-living

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 8th, 2014, 10:02 am

Ughhhhhh that picture of lpm. Look how amazing it looks when you can see the tower touch the ground. Stupid parking podium.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 11th, 2014, 11:27 am

Looks like a big, fairly prime chunk of land will be coming on to the market soon. How much do you want to bet that Stanton already has a purchase option lined up for this?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 11th, 2014, 11:54 am

Seriously... Niiiiice spot. I'd hoped whatever takes that space commits to allowing the dinkytown greenway trail to be extended past to the Gold Medal park using the Midtown Greenway apartments as an example of what people like.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 11th, 2014, 11:58 am

Is this block in a height limiting district? Or could something here be built a tall as the tower across 35W?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 11th, 2014, 12:05 pm

I'd hoped whatever takes that space commits to allowing the dinkytown greenway trail to be extended past to the Gold Medal park using the Midtown Greenway apartments as an example of what people like.
Absolutely. The city is hopefully already working on this? [he says, knowing that they're probably not]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 11th, 2014, 1:13 pm

kinda sucks i have a friend who works there. i know cenveo wasn't in that building for the long term though.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 11th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Is this block in a height limiting district? Or could something here be built a tall as the tower across 35W?
Pretty sure the historic height limit district ends before this.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I was walking down 8th St a few days ago, wondering how old the Dayton's/Macy's ramp is. Old enough where they still attempted to put retail on the 7th Street side. (Related: Anyone know what the little stub of a building is on 8th between the ramp and the alley?) The ramp also has some sort of use on the top - is that the 8th floor auditorium?

Anyways, when the ramp reaches its end of life, this seems like it could be a location for a signature tower. The tower could span the full block from 7th to 8th, and maybe it could include a redevelopment of the Skyway Theater building as a podium with Hennepin frontage. Granted, it would not have Nicollet Mall frontage, but if other buildings like 33 S 6th and LaSalle Plaza can work west of Nicollet Mall...

Thoughts?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 18th, 2014, 5:48 pm

I was walking down 8th St a few days ago, wondering how old the Dayton's/Macy's ramp is. Old enough where they still attempted to put retail on the 7th Street side. (Related: Anyone know what the little stub of a building is on 8th between the ramp and the alley?) The ramp also has some sort of use on the top - is that the 8th floor auditorium?

Anyways, when the ramp reaches its end of life, this seems like it could be a location for a signature tower. The tower could span the full block from 7th to 8th, and maybe it could include a redevelopment of the Skyway Theater building as a podium with Hennepin frontage. Granted, it would not have Nicollet Mall frontage, but if other buildings like 33 S 6th and LaSalle Plaza can work west of Nicollet Mall...

Thoughts?
Get it gone, and the Marriott residence in too. That could be a great retail and residential district with Macy's as an anchor. Really lacking residents there.