Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Postby Nick » July 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm

in re: the comments about the public sector above, anecdotally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the average City employee lived farther away from downtown than the average Target, US Bank, etc employee. Lot of far north metro employees with 45 minute (or longer) commutes.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

icelake
Block E

Postby icelake » July 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Thanks. Those are all good points. While working from home, my summer electric bill has gone up about $15 a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2021, 9:47 am

Two elements of security theater that I hated on Nicollet Mall:

(1) This cop just idling right on the sidewalk next to the Walgreens. The dude is just on his phone. Totally senseless policing, I'd love to know how much this costs and how often this officer has done anything. If you're not going to walk up and down the Mall, at least turn the car off so nobody has to breathe in and smell your exhaust.

(2) These awful wood coverings blocking entrance to the IDS Crystal Court, and the fact that two of the four revolving doors were locked for absolutely no reason. I hope they make removing the wood a priority, but why lock half of the revolving doors? What sense does that make?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 27th, 2021, 9:59 am

Two elements of security theater that I hated on Nicollet Mall:

(1) This cop just idling right on the sidewalk next to the Walgreens. The dude is just on his phone. Totally senseless policing, I'd love to know how much this costs and how often this officer has done anything. If you're not going to walk up and down the Mall, at least turn the car off so nobody has to breathe in and smell your exhaust.

(2) These awful wood coverings blocking entrance to the IDS Crystal Court, and the fact that two of the four revolving doors were locked for absolutely no reason. I hope they make removing the wood a priority, but why lock half of the revolving doors? What sense does that make?
I think the policy is to not shut off the vehicles because of the electronics. I've seen them running the cars with the hoods open to cool them during a Vikings game. I've only seen the vehicles turned off at the stations.

Also policing is bureaucratic just like teaching and nursing. That is why half the time officers are on the phone or their computer.

I've seen MPD trying to be more discreet recently with their presence, which is going to remain given the continual need given the issues Downtown.

I can tell you this from living in North...you want the MPD nearby when shots ring out or during violent crimes. If they have to come from somewhere else the offender is usually long gone.

Usually when we hear them within a block we take cover and when MPD comes and looks carefully for a a victim and then my neighbors of all different economic and racial backgrounds come of our homes and tell MPD what we saw. Most the time they get a rough description of the individual and are looking for a detailed description of the vehicle since it's more useful then they pick up the casings and we all hope they match something. Then everyone returns to their day. That is what happens during a shots fired call. Nothing usually results from it unless MPD is nearby and able to intercept the vehicle or individuals as they get away. (FYI, my African-American neighbors shake their heads in dismay at violence more than their woke white neighbors. They are also moving out to the 'burbs for safety as young white families move in.)

IDS is only maintaining those doors like that because they have a need given the recurring looting and issues in the past 18 months.

We don't live in a fairy tale we live in a reality.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2021, 10:28 am

Alright, but there's no shortage of parking downtown, how about they park the cruiser somewhere nearby that isn't right there.

I believe that it's possible to think a cruiser shouldn't be idling in the middle of a pedestrian mall while still believing that Crime Is Bad. This thing where anyone who mildly suggests that the cops could do things differently is accused of wanting to let shooters go free is a bit weird, not gonna lie.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 27th, 2021, 10:32 am

I dont have an issue with the cop car. It makes a visible signal that people are around to respond to a crime in a quick fashion if needed. This is why I like it when bars hire a cop to stand out front. People are less likely to cause an issue if they think they will be caught right away or if needed they can step in. On lake street I see alot less of the random cop cars driving by but an increase in bike police which I think is great which to me is less theater and more on the ground in the community. They are also able to respond in more subtle way to issues. To me the drive by cop car is text book security theater and its good to see some changes made.
The doors im not a fan of. I saw that Nordstrom's removed there boards recently which is great as they made the IDS center feel like a fortress.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 27th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Alright, but there's no shortage of parking downtown, how about they park the cruiser somewhere nearby that isn't right there.

I believe that it's possible to think a cruiser shouldn't be idling in the middle of a pedestrian mall while still believing that Crime Is Bad. This thing where anyone who mildly suggests that the cops could do things differently is accused of wanting to let shooters go free is a bit weird, not gonna lie.
It's clearly impeding the flow of the 3 pedestrians wandering around downtown. Of all the things to be angry about downtown this is towards the bottom of my list.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Me: "I think it's bad to have a cop car idling all day on the city's showpiece pedestrian mall, maybe there's an alternative."

You guys: "So you want more people to get shot? Minneapolis is DEAD, I tell you DEAD!"

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 27th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Me: "I think it's bad to have a cop car idling all day on the city's showpiece pedestrian mall, maybe there's an alternative."

You guys: "So you want more people to get shot? Minneapolis is DEAD, I tell you DEAD!"
Ah yes, the classic overreaction because people have different opinions. The horror. I look forward to your angry rants about the City's shortcomings during your 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 visits....

dimabima
Block E

Postby dimabima » July 27th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Ah yes, the classic overreaction because people have different opinions. The horror. I look forward to your angry rants about the City's shortcomings during your 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 visits....
Police cars idling on the sidewalk is bad.

I live in Minneapolis and have been working full time downtown for a couple weeks now. Hopefully my opinion matters to you.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 27th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Police cars idling on the sidewalk is bad.

I live in Minneapolis and have been working full time downtown for a couple weeks now. Hopefully my opinion matters to you.
You can absolutely have your opinion, just don't take mine and twist it to fit some crazy narrative.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » July 27th, 2021, 1:18 pm

It really is amazing how some people see the idling police car as threatening, and some see it as reassuring.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 27th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Vehicles never belong on sidewalks, cop or not.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 27th, 2021, 2:10 pm

While I dont have an issue with it where it is why not move it to either the 7th or 6th st intersections of the mall and make it very clearly visible to those on the mall if it is that bad for the pedestrian experience. I would say onto the mall itself but I feel like that could mess up the buses.

icelake
Block E

Postby icelake » July 27th, 2021, 2:17 pm

I'd prefer if the police could get out of their cars and interact with the public in a friendly, professional manner. I've recently witnessed a police officer, sitting in their idling car, yelling at pedestrians over their loudspeaker. Their is a difference between keeping the peace and acting like an invading army from the suburbs. The way police typically act on nicollet is not what we need, they can do better and we should insist on it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2021, 2:17 pm

It really is amazing how some people see the idling police car as threatening, and some see it as reassuring.
I know there's a larger discussion here, but I want to be clear about what prompted me to photograph this: I felt neither threatened nor reassured by the cruiser and the cop playing Candy Crush. I wasn't thinking at all about my own safety at all in that moment, because there was nothing threatening it. The absurdity of the security theater only entered into my perception after I walked past it.

My objection was that I didn't enjoy walking past a car that was idling and spewing exhaust at a place that is supposed to be pedestrian-only. It was a minor objection, but the fix is also minor; just park somewhere else nearby. I didn't expect some people to freak out about that anodyne suggestion!

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 27th, 2021, 2:36 pm

I think there is a big assumption being made that they were put there by the city and not hired to be there by a retailer or even a group of stores.
Going back to the IDS center. I really cant express how nice it was that most of the boards have been removed downtown. It no longer feels like every building is a fortress. But I agree those doors have got to go. Given that people keep returning the city core for any number of reasons now that things are open again.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Perhaps the irate back and forth is nothing more than an indicator of how on edge we all still are.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 28th, 2021, 8:09 am

Is it amazing? It's a major lesson of the last few years. Police presence is both.

But I'm 100% with Alex. It shouldn't be a on the sidewalk and it shouldn't be idling. Seems like exactly where good old fashion foot patrol would make sense, but what do I know?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 28th, 2021, 8:21 am

But I'm 100% with Alex. It shouldn't be a on the sidewalk and it shouldn't be idling. Seems like exactly where good old fashion foot patrol would make sense, but what do I know?
Agree... getting big "500 more cops hired for the NYC subways who sit around on their phones and watch turnstile jumpers and do nothing anyway" vibes.

If visibility/presence is the goal does it even need to be an armed cop? Why not DID for half the cost? A semi-permanent kiosk seems much more appropriate than an idling squad car.