Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
contrast
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby contrast » January 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Murals in and of themselves can be such a wonderful expression of a community. In addition, they typically mask what is usually an ugly back or side of a building that was never intended to be exposed to public view but often due to demolition of an adjacent building, was inadvertently exposed. I really like murals- especially this one, but I view them as a temporary expression until a longer term solution (new development) is feasible. I support a building that is designed to best support the street grid and enhance the pedestrian experience while making a skyline statement. The Schmitt Music mural was created exactly because of the ugly backside issue. The chance is before the city to finally fix the original issue- downtown buildings that were demolished exposing the ugly sides of adjacent buildings. I don't support designing around the mural.

"Sometimes the notation of a musical score becomes a work of art in its own right. Such is the case with a vast mural painted in the early 1970s on the exposed brick wall of the Schmitt Music Company building in downtown Minneapolis. The mural was created after Minneapolis Star columnist Barbara Flanagan called out the blank wall’s unsightliness. “You need to make that wall sing,” she wrote..." https://thelistenersclub.com/tag/schmitt-music-wall/

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby contrast » January 4th, 2021, 5:53 pm

I'm listening to the piece right now. What would be amazing is to have a way for people to actually hear the score. Possibly a listening pod in Peavy plaza if not in a pocket park on the site. After all, I would assume that was Schmitt Music's original intent- to get people interested in music, listening to it, and playing it.

twincitizen

Re: RBC Gateway (Four Seasons) - 37 stories - 519'

Postby twincitizen » January 30th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Really need some movement on the Post Office property. That parking ramp must come down in the 2020s.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » February 1st, 2021, 10:43 am

I realize it's a pipe dream, but if the post office could be converted to something resembling Midtown Global Market, possibly with some residential or office space filling out whatever area would be left over, I believe it would be a game-changer for the Riverfront/Mill District/Gateway.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 1st, 2021, 10:50 am

Lets first start with the parking ramp as that can go first. Not sure if its the city or the post office that owns the green space on the river side but a nice tower that built into some public space there would really make that area better. Also I dont foresee the post office not having that space.
Maybe one day even take down the ramp near the churchill

uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Postby uptownbro » February 2nd, 2021, 11:29 am

https://www.axios.com/minneapolis-downt ... 1e3f5.html

Even with all that happened in 2020 the city still permitted just shy of $1.8 billion. Some im sure is due to rebuilding which is in itself is a good thing. But the city is "dead"......
Over all seems the positive momentum is still strong in the city and hopefully 2021 keeps it going.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » February 6th, 2021, 1:52 pm

I believe the Minneapolis Farmer's Market should be relocated to the Post Office, perhaps even moving the red metal market shelters to the loading dock area facing the river. The San Francisco Ferry Building could be a model with permanent indoor stalls within the former post office structure and more seasonal vendors outdoors. Love the idea of a tower rising out of the post office and finally demolishing that awful parking ramp.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » February 8th, 2021, 10:35 am

Our best option was to build the stadium at Royalston/Farmers Market and create a "stadium district" while moving the Farmer's Market to where the Metrodome was, on the intersection of $2-$5 billion in rail investment. Perhaps it could have been built indoors with many apartments, like Rotterdam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Hall_(Rotterdam)

Maybe next century, or in 30 years when the bonds are paid off/the current accepted stadium rebuild cycle.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 8th, 2021, 11:05 am

And doing that same concept but on the current site, next to a similar sum of rail investment wouldn't work because...?

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 8th, 2021, 11:29 am

Lets first start with the parking ramp as that can go first. Not sure if its the city or the post office that owns the green space on the river side but a nice tower that built into some public space there would really make that area better. Also I dont foresee the post office not having that space.
Maybe one day even take down the ramp near the churchill
Green space is owned by the Post Office. Realistically I don't see the ramp coming down, nor do I see USPS vacating the building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2021, 11:39 am

When they had the Doors Open event in Minneapolis and I toured the facility... they talked a lot about recent investments and how much they love the building. Someone asked if they'd ever move and they said no. It's no where in the planning for the next few decades. I'm not optimistic about any of this.

But the entire gateway area has a lot of poorly used land. A lot could be built on top of parking lots and ramps in this area, if land owners got wise to it. I'd be more optimistic for that!

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » February 8th, 2021, 11:44 am

And doing that same concept but on the current site, next to a similar sum of rail investment wouldn't work because...?
It would work there too, just not as "central" as DTE, where there was a totally blown opportunity to build much more housing without constriction from stroads/viaduct. By the time Blue and Green are extended all the way out the "central" distinction would be irrelevant, but the mismatched, underutilized land use remains.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 8th, 2021, 11:48 am

When they had the Doors Open event in Minneapolis and I toured the facility... they talked a lot about recent investments and how much they love the building. Someone asked if they'd ever move and they said no. It's no where in the planning for the next few decades. I'm not optimistic about any of this.

But the entire gateway area has a lot of poorly used land. A lot could be built on top of parking lots and ramps in this area, if land owners got wise to it. I'd be more optimistic for that!
Hopefully, we'll see some of this during the next big building boom. The day we fill in all the parking lots will be a great day.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 8th, 2021, 12:39 pm

It would work there too, just not as "central" as DTE, where there was a totally blown opportunity to build much more housing without constriction from stroads/viaduct. By the time Blue and Green are extended all the way out the "central" distinction would be irrelevant, but the mismatched, underutilized land use remains.
You're right, but I think longer term this area is far superior. Directly adjacent to North Loop but with none of the historical height and architectural requirements. A centerpiece like a modern indoor market would be a good catalyst to kick things off.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » February 9th, 2021, 9:26 am

This isn't really an RBC Gateway topic anymore, is it? That said, the idea of a year-round, indoor marketplace at the central PO is enticing. I've sometimes thought that the best place to start would be in the southernmost, smaller structure, since this might be compatible with downsized operations for the PO. However, this structure appears to be used for PO vehicles, and I've not the faintest idea of how vehicle operations for a downsized PO might fit with the reuse of the smaller structure or, for that matter, with the razing of that awful parking ramp.

Then, even if an indoor market were created here, whether in the smaller structure or in the main building should the PO leave, parking will become a huge issue. Walking out of a market with heavy bags is not compatible with reliance on public transportation, so the hoped-for crowds heading to an indoor market will need someplace to stow their cars. Where would that be?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 9th, 2021, 9:41 am

(I agree this is O/T at this point)

Counterpoint - farmers markets are not Costcos and nobody shops at a farmers market like they do regular suburban grocery stores. Like many other city amenities, visitors are envisioned to be from the dense neighborhoods surrounding it or are visitors who will have to plan accordingly. Oceans of parking does not make attractions more attractive, it makes neighborhoods less so.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » February 9th, 2021, 9:47 am

(I agree this is O/T at this point)

Counterpoint - farmers markets are not Costcos and nobody shops at a farmers market like they do regular suburban grocery stores. Like many other city amenities, visitors are envisioned to be from the dense neighborhoods surrounding it or are visitors who will have to plan accordingly. Oceans of parking does not make attractions more attractive, it makes neighborhoods less so.
I agree with the sentiment, but looking at the existing farmers market, a sea of cars it is.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 9th, 2021, 11:03 am

Getting it back on topic here is a shot from this past weekend of the progress.
As for how to improve this area moving forward I really we need to push for the parking ramp next to the churchill to be taken down as well. Its a block away from the river.
I don't see how you get The Churchill to give up its ramp dedicated to its residents unless a new ramp was included into the new structure and the resident would have access.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 9th, 2021, 1:13 pm

I understand the focus on the Gateway Park and river area, but I think the dead zone to the southeast is even more relevant in the near-term. The potential redevelopment of the City of Minneapolis office block would be an important piece in connecting the Mill District to the rest of the downtown, but there are unfortunately a number of other barriers. The Federal Courthouse isn't going away and won't be getting less hostile, but hopefully in the next decade there will be big changes for the Gateway Ramp block, the Wells Fargo block, and the Hennepin Family Court (and ex-Metropolitan Building) block.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 9th, 2021, 2:46 pm

(Since this will all probably get moved at some point anyway)

I too like the concept of repurposing the post office building into some sort of market concept like the Ferry Building, but one problem is that it's actually pretty far away from everything. Just for reference I Google mapped the walking route from the IDS Center, and it's about eight blocks and 15 minutes. That's not really an option for a work lunch.