The Eclipse

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: The Eclipse

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 24th, 2014, 1:00 pm

The first level looks perfect for an upscale car dealership. It's hard to envision something like that at this intersection, but it could work.
Is that not what the former use of this block was prior to the demolition and original proposal (a Jaguar dealership)?

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » February 24th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Maybe I've missed this, but when is this project heading for approval?

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » February 24th, 2014, 1:17 pm

The first level looks perfect for an upscale car dealership. It's hard to envision something like that at this intersection, but it could work.
Is that not what the former use of this block was prior to the demolition and original proposal (a Jaguar dealership)?
The Jaguar dealership was not completely demoed and is part of the basement and first floor structure of 222 Hennepin.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 24th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be good here, too.

We've got to be careful judging this building from the peculiar monochromatic renderings. If the building had even moderately reflective glass it could end up looking more like this:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 24th, 2014, 2:35 pm

If Stanton is too cheap to pop for decent renderings, then he shouldn't be upset if people judge his projects based on them.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 24th, 2014, 6:34 pm

If Stanton is too cheap to pop for decent renderings, then he shouldn't be upset if people judge his projects based on them.
^^^^This x 100.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 24th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I'm imagining people even 30 years ago considering these bad renderings... especially since we're privy to power point quality versions of them... It's a bit funny. I can't imagine anyone trying to save a couple of dollars a weak condo market. TO THE STAKE WITH HIM!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 25th, 2014, 1:10 am

^^^^This x 100.
When you read his comments in the media all he appears focused on is that parking ratio increase or else he threatens no project. Not once does he mention the importance of building something that acknowledges this pivotal site or connects this project to the rest of North Loop or downtown. The renderings just reflect his total disregard for that.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 25th, 2014, 8:21 am

He made a lot of bluster about Izzy's too and in the end it didn't stop him

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 25th, 2014, 9:54 am

^^^^This x 100.
When you read his comments in the media all he appears focused on is that parking ratio increase or else he threatens no project. Not once does he mention the importance of building something that acknowledges this pivotal site or connects this project to the rest of North Loop or downtown. The renderings just reflect his total disregard for that.
This is EXACTLY why myself and others spent so much time talking about the parking counts for this project. Developers shape the city with their projects and engaged citizenry and politicians have a role as well. There is a lot to consider in the design of these buildings and parking has a huge impact.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 25th, 2014, 11:16 am

Thanks for the post Avian, that pic improves the building 10 fold in my opinion. They still need to work to tweak the street level and see if they can improve the crown of the building. It looks unfinished. But the reflection sure help to improve the image of this building. Would hope that they could improve the back sides of the buildings . They will be seen from other directions as people come into town from Washington and Hennepin.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 25th, 2014, 12:19 pm

^^^I wish they would hire Avian to make improvements.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 25th, 2014, 2:45 pm

For this effort, the "nice fee" that your firm collects will get you paid in the range of the average trash/recycling collector. "Nice fees" is not why people become architects, at least, I've never met anyone in this field motivated by money. I've heard the rumor that "people think all architects are rich" but I laughed it off as satire/sarcasm. Does anyone really think like this? For the record, this idea is patently false.
Oh come on. Mike Brady's an architect and with his single income he and Carol can raise six kids AND support a live-in housekeeper/life coach. Architects clearly make $MEG,AMI,LLI,ONS just like engineers and college professors.

And that Alice and Sam, there's a power couple if I ever saw one!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 25th, 2014, 4:21 pm

I bet soooo many people have no reference as to what you're talking about. You might as well have made reference to Larry and Moe!

FWIW, I personally thought architects made big coin, and was a highly respected and valued profession, like Engineering.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 25th, 2014, 4:25 pm

It's a bad rendering. You guys remember the Stonebridge renders, right?

http://www.mplsloftsearch.com/briefcase ... M66177.jpg

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 25th, 2014, 4:30 pm

I bet soooo many people have no reference as to what you're talking about. You might as well have made reference to Larry and Moe!
:)
FWIW, I personally thought architects made big coin, and was a highly respected and valued profession, like Engineering.
Don't confuse "respected and valued" with "extravagantly paid." One doesn't go into engineering or become a college professor to make money either. One can certainly make a good living doing these things but almost no one will become another Rockefeller designing engines and computer networks*. As everywhere, the money's in management.

*It's more likely than not that the company you're working for will bury your idea and be beaten into the ground by a Bay Area hipster wearing black, a la Xerox.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 25th, 2014, 4:37 pm

My conjecture: At the top of your field, without being a partner, at a large firm, you're at about 120k, and you're nearing 60 years old. That's not much, especially when you made under 40k for the first 15 years of your career. :)

Actual Current Stats: http://www.architectmagazine.com/busine ... eport.aspx
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 26th, 2014, 8:36 am

For this effort, the "nice fee" that your firm collects will get you paid in the range of the average trash/recycling collector. "Nice fees" is not why people become architects, at least, I've never met anyone in this field motivated by money. I've heard the rumor that "people think all architects are rich" but I laughed it off as satire/sarcasm. Does anyone really think like this? For the record, this idea is patently false.
Oh come on. Mike Brady's an architect and with his single income he and Carol can raise six kids AND support a live-in housekeeper/life coach. Architects clearly make $MEG,AMI,LLI,ONS just like engineers and college professors.

And that Alice and Sam, there's a power couple if I ever saw one!

Six kids, single income and a housekeeper...TV FTW.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 26th, 2014, 8:39 am

To be "respected and valued" is gratifying but engineers make a lot more money. It's not like people go into this profession with a gun to their head so I'm not asking for sympathy. I just want to dispel the myth of the "rich architect" wherever I find it.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 26th, 2014, 8:44 am

My conjecture: At the top of your field, without being a partner, at a large firm, you're at about 120k, and you're nearing 60 years old. That's not much, especially when you made under 40k for the first 15 years of your career. :)

Actual Current Stats: http://www.architectmagazine.com/busine ... eport.aspx
In my experience, there are very few people at or near 60 "at the top of their field" that are NOT partners. By definition, if you are "at the top of your field" you are probably a partner. For a skilled, capable, productive, "Senior Associate" (not a partner) at or near 60, $120k per annum is pretty high for this region. This is based on anecdotal evidence from the firms where I have worked for whatever that is worth...