District 600 - 600 5th Street North

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
swmpls
City Center

District 600 - 600 5th Street North

Postby swmpls » July 11th, 2012, 10:36 pm

I thought we had a topic about this one but I couldn't find it. Here are renderings on the city's webpage, certainly nothing special. It's right across the street from the Interchange, I wish someone would be a little more daring there.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 095658.pdf

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: 600 5th Street North

Postby mplser » July 12th, 2012, 2:02 am

you are right, but I think it's great that they are fitting this density into that awkward space.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » July 12th, 2012, 7:11 am

really mplser? Doesn't it even matter a tiny bit the the whole trend for this crap is to make it as cheap and drab as possible? Screw density if this is the answer! I'm still astounded you guys all love 222. It is what it is I guess...MPLS gets trash only and we must all be trash men.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » July 12th, 2012, 7:22 am

really mplser? Doesn't it even matter a tiny bit the the whole trend for this crap is to make it as cheap and drab as possible? Screw density if this is the answer! I'm still astounded you guys all love 222. It is what it is I guess...MPLS gets trash only and we must all be trash men.
Curious, do you even live in Minneapolis, nasa?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 12th, 2012, 7:28 am

Next time you have tens of millions of dollars lying around in the bank to finance real estate projects, make sure you only pick ones you like.
Northern suburbs. As a resident of downtown, I by far prefer filling the hot mess urban fabric of this city before making the skyline pretty for people who presumably are all about LGA cuts...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 12th, 2012, 8:03 am

Guys....some tidbits:

-it's SIX floors, not five
-the exterior is going to be mostly metallic
-also on the exterior will be stone (limestone?) and red brick

This sounds fairly interesting to me! I, for one, LIKE projects with funky exteriors, and to me it makes up for lack of high-quality structural design!

Let's give it a chance!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 8:06 am

I thought we had a topic about this one but I couldn't find it. Here are renderings on the city's webpage, certainly nothing special. It's right across the street from the Interchange, I wish someone would be a little more daring there.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 095658.pdf
"Daring" is not part of the vocabulary for most of these apartment developers. It actually looks pretty good from what I can see from the city's webpage. It would be interesting to see a rendering of it in the context of the surrounding area.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » July 12th, 2012, 8:46 am

Next time you have tens of millions of dollars lying around in the bank to finance real estate projects, make sure you only pick ones you like.
Northern suburbs. As a resident of downtown, I by far prefer filling the hot mess urban fabric of this city before making the skyline pretty for people who presumably are all about LGA cuts...
What snobs! lol. Sorry doodies, the suburbs finance MPLS. I can tal about it all I want,

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » July 12th, 2012, 9:54 am

Maybe the surburbs help finance MPLS... I tend to disagree but it am not gonna have THAT debate. I just want to say the unless someone is planning to building some super cutting edge residence, everyone is going to keep it plain and simple. Considering that we are already getting our "cutting edge" tall residences built, LaSalle and Nicollet, the only thing we can really ask for is some material variation between projects and good interactions between what exists and what will be new.
^ 4-d

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 12th, 2012, 10:11 am

Maybe the surburbs help finance MPLS... I tend to disagree but it am not gonna have THAT debate. I just want to say the unless someone is planning to building some super cutting edge residence, everyone is going to keep it plain and simple. Considering that we are already getting our "cutting edge" tall residences built, LaSalle and Nicollet, the only thing we can really ask for is some material variation between projects and good interactions between what exists and what will be new.
Suburban flight and suburban mentality have held Minneapolis back for decades. I'd be curious to see somebody try to make a well thought out, cogent argument otherwise (in another thread!).

Anyway, 4-d makes a good point. I understand the incentives developers/architects have to keep it relatively plain and simple on most projects, but nearly every project we see is cut from the same, tired cloth. Multi-material, multi-colored facade goes on over 4-6 story stick building. Repeat. I appreciate the infill in this area, but I personally don't see any material variation with this project.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 12th, 2012, 10:23 am

I think it will be a great infill project as well... The facade will make or break it for sure. The sooner we get more people living in Minneapolis and sustaining ourselves the more feasible larger projects will become. But I think there is a whole thread just for you and your complaints Nasa, keep them there. We'd all love taller buildings, but we should all appreciate any hole in the ground as we are recovering.

Also great potential business for Fulton!!! Let's hope all of their new neighbors are drunks ;)

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 12th, 2012, 10:29 am

I think what we need is some new architectural blood in the twin cities. The majority of the work is done by just a handful of firms. BKV and ESG in particular seemed to have cornered well over half the market.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 10:44 am

I think what we need is some new architectural blood in the twin cities. The majority of the work is done by just a handful of firms. BKV and ESG in particular seemed to have cornered well over half the market.
Totally agree! It would be nice to see some of the more creative architects of the Twin Cities do some of these projects. We have very conservative developers here who play it really "safe", so it may not actually be all the architect's fault. ESG did The Nicollet Residences and had a great design with its soaring tower-like form and cantilevered crown. It's new scaled down version just turned it into a huge dud.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 12th, 2012, 11:04 am

I mean no offense, but I continue to think it is kind of amazing that (from your somewhat dramatic posts on the Nicollet residences at least) you seem to think that 6 floors off of a 33 floor residential project destroys it. We are talking about 65 feet maybe...a difference, yes, but it isn't as though the tower was cut in half. They took off 1/5 of the height. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think it is THAT big off a difference in the grand scheme of things. I mean yeah, many were a bit dissappointed, but I have seen several posts from you that seem awfully dramatic. The average person can't even tell the difference between a 27 story building and a 33 story building.

Anway, off topic kind of, sorry.
Last edited by mnmike on July 12th, 2012, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 12th, 2012, 11:06 am

I think ESG and BKV have done some great work. I also don't fault developers for some of the lackluster apartment projects of late. We've seen some very good condo projects this last decade by the very same developers who are now doing apartments. Just compare some of the apartment projects Sherman and Lander are breaking ground on to the condominium ones they did over the last ten years. The difference in quality is night and day.

We just need more architecture firms designing in the twin cities. That would bring some more variety and creativity to all the residential in-fill we're seeing at the moment.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 3:05 pm

I mean no offense, but I continue to think it is kind of amazing that (from your somewhat dramatic posts on the Nicollet residences at least) you seem to think that 6 floors off of a 33 floor residential project destroys it. We are talking about 65 feet maybe...a difference, yes, but it isn't as though the tower was cut in half. They took off 1/5 of the height. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think it is THAT big off a difference in the grand scheme of things. I mean yeah, many were a bit dissappointed, but I have seen several posts from you that seem awfully dramatic. The average person can't even tell the difference between a 27 story building and a 33 story building.

Anway, off topic kind of, sorry.
Yes, off topic. I will try to post a rendering of the revised design on the Nicollet Residence thread when I find one.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 12th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Has there even been a revised rendering released? It looked the same in the background the Xcel rendering...but I only count 27 floors.

PS, you are the one who brough up The Nicollet Residences:)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 18th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I'm not sure if any of this is new information, but Downtown Journal wrote this up today:

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... n-brewery/

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 18th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Doesn't look bad. But it's the same design used on a dozen other projects around the metro.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 18th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Doesn't look bad. But it's the same design used on a dozen other projects around the metro.
Exactly. All these developers are just copying each other's formula. The designs are somewhat better than average to pass the planning commissions without too much fanfare (maybe that isn't such a bad thing). At some point in the near future this boom will turn to bust. The good news is this wave of apartment development will significantly increase the urban density of many areas of St Paul and Mpls, and get rid of sizable chunks of land that have been vacant for decades.