District 600 - 600 5th Street North

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: District 600 - (600 Fifth Street North)

Postby bapster2006 » July 2nd, 2014, 8:32 am

District 600, Junction Flats, Fulton, Shapco

ImageDistrict 600 Junction Flats 6-29-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2014, 9:12 am

I like the relative smaller scale of this project! I wish there were more like this, Fast Horse, or 501 15th Ave SE (Prospect Place).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2014, 11:25 am

I like the relative smaller scale of this project!
It's only half built right now -- apparently there's still some wrangling with the neighbors that's stalled out construction.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2014, 12:50 pm

78 units in 6 floors is relatively small-scale considering many of the current projects going up right now, but I didn't realize it was only half built. Does that mean there will be another section that will rise 6 floors somewhere else? I've never seen a project be built in phases like that....usually the difference between sections is no greater than a floor or two.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 2nd, 2014, 1:33 pm

What is built up now is the area behind the Fulton Brewery. They still have to get the section that faces the streets out of the ground. Don't know what the tie up is that is keeping things from moving forward. Unless they will be moving the crane to do the last section and that is why they did the back section first where they could use that area for the crane without having a huge crane.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » July 2nd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Rumor heard within Fulton's walls is that construction had compromised their southeast facing wall. Didn't sound like they had really even been consulted on the project before it started, which would be very surprising for how close it is to their building.

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » July 2nd, 2014, 3:23 pm

78 units in 6 floors is relatively small-scale considering many of the current projects going up right now, but I didn't realize it was only half built. Does that mean there will be another section that will rise 6 floors somewhere else? I've never seen a project be built in phases like that....usually the difference between sections is no greater than a floor or two.
It is probably 6 floors. There are a couple issues that make it difficult to step buildings in general (smaller ones even more). There is essentially a need for two exits (stairs) as well as a maximum distance for a dead-end corridor. The dead-end corridor rule pretty much dictates that the stairs go near the end of the floor plate. Unless the developer is willing to use more floor space, or the building is big enough to warrant/necessitate a 3rd stair it kind of needs to stay even.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2014, 3:41 pm

It is probably 6 floors. There are a couple issues that make it difficult to step buildings in general (smaller ones even more). There is essentially a need for two exits (stairs) as well as a maximum distance for a dead-end corridor. The dead-end corridor rule pretty much dictates that the stairs go near the end of the floor plate. Unless the developer is willing to use more floor space, or the building is big enough to warrant/necessitate a 3rd stair it kind of needs to stay even.
Thanks for that explanation but I'm not understanding how that limits one portion of the development from being constructed while the other portion is topped out.

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » July 3rd, 2014, 9:20 am

Thanks for that explanation but I'm not understanding how that limits one portion of the development from being constructed while the other portion is topped out.
Whatever the problem (compromise Fulton's building, air rights, property negotiations), it could take weeks to engineer/price a solution and then weeks to implement. A contractor will almost always keep building rather than stop work entirely. At this point they could have lost their spot in line with the wall panalizer too.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 3rd, 2014, 1:47 pm

With the fact that they had issues with the other building that they were building next to. I can see where the Fulton compromise could come in. There may have to be foundation work done on Fulton before they can continue to build the remaining section of the building. Right now they would have full access to this work with nothing yet having been constructed.

This afternoon on the way to the ball game my friend and I stopped at Fulton and saw the damage to Fulton. It is not minor damage. There is major shifting of the south wall and sections of the front wall near the patio show shifts of several inches and wall separation of at least one of the front windows. Some entity will be paying to have those walls and foundation rebuilt and stabilized. Not sure how this will affect beer production as the walls that need to be replaced are a part of their beer production rooms.

There is lower level work that has been completed on the D600. But there are sections that have not yet been excavated at this point. Do not think there will be any upward building on the rest of this building until the Fulton issues are resolved.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 6th, 2014, 9:43 am

Workers were back on site today doing some excavation. Hopefully this thing is going to get moving again.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 6th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Last edited by grant1simons2 on August 7th, 2014, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 7th, 2014, 8:49 am

Grant, would you consider putting them on Flickr? For these types of photos it seems to work nice, then we can follow each other on Flickr too. Auto-upload from phone is nice, as is the embed codes to put the photos right into the posts here.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2014, 10:01 am

No!
I will forever fight against the onslaught of flickr.

Also, use [img] tags.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 7th, 2014, 10:15 am

What in the world is going on with the 5th St facade of this building? Still not above ground more than a year after groundbreaking...meanwhile the rear portion behind Fulton is topped out but hasn't been enclosed or anything. It looks identical to Nick's photo from 6 weeks ago. Is this thing completely stalled or what? At this point the building won't even be enclosed by winter.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 7th, 2014, 5:19 pm

What in the world is going on with the 5th St facade of this building? Still not above ground more than a year after groundbreaking...meanwhile the rear portion behind Fulton is topped out but hasn't been enclosed or anything. It looks identical to Nick's photo from 6 weeks ago. Is this thing completely stalled or what? At this point the building won't even be enclosed by winter.
just a couple posts down... they damaged Fultons building...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 7th, 2014, 8:21 pm

See my post from July 3rd. There was major basement wall movement on the Fulton Building that will need to be replaced or repaired before anything more is done on D600

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 27th, 2014, 8:42 am

Looks like that have been doing some major work to stabilize the Fulton wall that will be next to D600. Did not see much activity yesterday so I'm not sure what the delays are at this point.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » August 27th, 2014, 1:07 pm

A Fulton employee told me yesterday that the wall has been stabilized to allow for resumption of construction, but repairs to the Fulton building are yet to come.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 27th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Saw some major tie backs in the basement walls for the Fulton Brewery. But could not really tell if there had been any real work done to the production facilities walls on the floor above. Snow is coming so they need to get some things accomplished if they are not going to be working in snow drifts. At this rate, Be the Match will be topped off before they get D600 topped off.