AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: AC Marriott Hotel (401 Hennepin Ave / Andrews Hotel site)

Postby Archiapolis » May 10th, 2016, 7:15 am

The only reason I even mentioned ESG is because of the meeting last week for 800 Washington. They mentioned using stucco for the large white portion and that their designer likes using the material. I'd be okay with seeing a design regulation that can be enacted if someone tries using stucco for more than 25%(?) of their exterior. Obviously exceptions can be made, but it can finally be the cities excuse to strike down ugly design.
Go ahead and mention ESG all day! Go ahead and call out things that you don't like all day as well. That's what this site is for (kind of). I just wanted to give a bit of background on why we are seeing so much stucco. A percentage limitation is a good tool for the city to control these "cheaper" materials. Cheers.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 25th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Saw this in person the other day, can confirm: is utter garbage.

Seriously, this has got to be the worst-clad building ever constructed in Minneapolis. I can't believe any architect approved this.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 25th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Every time I go by I hope that it will look less ugly, and every time I'm let down.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 26th, 2016, 6:32 am

They've updated the rendering for the Portland ac Marriott... great dark brick going up the building, retro metal paneling between the windows, cool green accents running up the building. Great materials, massive windows on the street... anyone still want to argue that ours is the better one?

http://www.nextportland.com/wp-content/ ... ive_01.jpg

I still want to know why we are getting more cheaply finished things when our companion cities are not.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » May 26th, 2016, 6:45 am

Saw this in person the other day, can confirm: is utter garbage.

Seriously, this has got to be the worst-clad building ever constructed in Minneapolis. I can't believe any architect approved this.
It's about time we got something worse than Center Village

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 26th, 2016, 6:47 am

They've updated the rendering for the Portland ac Marriott... great dark brick going up the building, retro metal paneling between the windows, cool green accents running up the building. Great materials, massive windows on the street... anyone still want to argue that ours is the better one?

http://www.nextportland.com/wp-content/ ... ive_01.jpg

I still want to know why we are getting more cheaply finished things when our companion cities are not.

I have nothing to substantiate this, but each hotel likely has different owners and architects.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 26th, 2016, 6:58 am

Well duh. My question is a little deeper, do the developers there value better architecture, are willing to pay more for materials? Are ours chronically cheap for a reason? Do the cities have different regulations on material usage? Do people go to their meetings to complain about materials rather than height?

I don't think for one second these projects would be too expensive for the developers if the demand is there and they were required use brick or stone. It's just more people at the top scraping off extra money at the expense of our cityscape.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 26th, 2016, 8:42 am

As I've said on a million different threads: developers have a huge impact. City guidelines on materials represent the "minimum" that developers wishing to maximize profit will target. Finding developers willing to sacrifice profit for the sake of architecture appears to be a tall task. When you are talking about +/- $8/sf material cost for cement fiberboard and/or stucco vs +/- $20/sf for brick...

'Twould be easier to alter municipal material guidelines. If/when that happens, developers will surely decry the city as being "anti-business"...

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 29th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Somewhere there was a question as to whether this is skyway connected. As someone mentioned, it connects to the Lumber Exchange via the parking garage. They appear to be building an enclosed walkway inside the garage to connect them.

There are stairs between the garage and Lumber Exchange, though, so not exactly accessible unless there are more changes in the works.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 1st, 2016, 9:53 am

There's AC Hotels signage on the little "tower" now. Must be getting quite close to completion.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 1st, 2016, 1:23 pm

The difference between this side of the street and the other is now quite jarring.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » September 1st, 2016, 1:31 pm

The difference between this side of the street and the other is now quite jarring.

My thoughts too... The 90's is an icon, but I wish the building was in better shape.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 1st, 2016, 1:41 pm

It is just awful...the owners couldn't care less, and it is more run down by the week.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » September 1st, 2016, 2:44 pm

And the 90's was run down when I was a kid. Yikes

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 1st, 2016, 6:13 pm

My thoughts too... The 90's is an icon, but I wish the building was in better shape.

The owner had tried to get the city to approve a remodel, but the city denied the request If I'm not mistaken?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 1st, 2016, 6:50 pm

It was a bizarre remodel plan. It doesn't prevent the from painting the trim and washing the windows.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » September 1st, 2016, 8:48 pm

What's so strange is that they continue making improvements on the inside. The "EDM" dance floor has a ton of new lights and a new bar, the video bar is relatively new, and the "back room" through the men's bathroom is now open to all and also has a new bar and some touch-ups.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2016, 12:12 pm

the hennepin side of this building is just bad... does the planning commission just not care about pressing developers on materials anymore? the facade looks like black cardboard.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2016, 12:15 pm

AC hotel i mean... the gay 90's ownership doesn't care about their exterior because the city doesn't press them on it.

but both of these buildings are shabby bookends on hennepin ave.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 3rd, 2016, 1:27 pm

the hennepin side of this building is just bad... does the planning commission just not care about pressing developers on materials anymore? the facade looks like black cardboard.
Planning commission does not control material changes. That would have been something that would have to be pushed or suggested in CoW, and it was. But there's no legal backing behind that. Idk how many times we have to say that.