AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
maxbaby
Landmark Center

Re: Andrews Hotel site (4th & Hennepin)

Postby maxbaby » June 11th, 2014, 5:55 am

They also need to do something about those nasty Gay 90's and Brass Rail buildings. They just trash the area up. The owners don't seem to care about them.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 11th, 2014, 9:46 am

They also need to do something about those nasty Gay 90's and Brass Rail buildings. They just trash the area up. The owners don't seem to care about them.
One would hope that a new development across the street from the Brass Rail, Auggie's & the 90s may actually motivate the owners to invest or sell. The Brass Rail is actually quite nice after their recent remodel. But the poor state of the Gay 90s is just pathetic. Either move forward with the remodel plans or sell. I hate that the owner has been touting the remodel plans for almost a decade now. I hope this is something that helps propel things forward for that corner too.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 11th, 2014, 9:47 am

Interesting nugget from the Business Journal story:
Mortenson also worked with Summit on a downtown deal that didn't come together. The companies teamed up to pitch a $63 million, 300-room hotel project dual-branded as AC by Marriott and SpringHill Suites by Marriott on a development site above a parking ramp being built next to the new Vikings stadium. The AC by Marriott hotel would have been the first of its kind in Minnesota.
I wonder if they could reboot that plan for this location?
I was wondering that too... *fingers crossed*

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 11th, 2014, 10:01 am

The 90's has always been a cash cow for who ever the place. The Blooms only put enough money in to get tax write offs and keep it to code. The new owners are doing the same, but unless they are making a lot of money on cover charges , They do not have the cash flow of 15 years ago. The last time I was in at 10:30 on a weekend the place was nearly empty, where as 20 years ago the place was packed. Once their property taxes keep going up and they need to get guys thru the door to drink. they will have to compete with the other bars. The Rail is pretty decent since their last remodel on the inside.

The internet has made the need to go to the bars to hook up less of an option Why the bars are less full, also the DUI penalties are much harsher and the .8 does not help things either.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 11th, 2014, 10:19 am

The internet has made the need to go to the bars to hook up less of an option Why the bars are less full, also the DUI penalties are much harsher and the .8 does not help things either.
The LGBT community increasingly becoming accepted and the new generation seeking LGBT-exclusive bars much less often has hit a lot of gay bars hard. It's not always about hook-ups and drunk drivers.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 11th, 2014, 11:52 am

The LGBT community increasingly becoming accepted and the new generation seeking LGBT-exclusive bars much less often has hit a lot of gay bars hard. It's not always about hook-ups and drunk drivers.
But being one of a very few places in the Cities that offers good drag review shows makes the Gay 90s quite unique, regardless of the clientele. Which is why I've been wanting the owner to do something with the place. Divide it up into other uses - the days of 1,000+ person establishments for entertainment seem to be a thing of the past, but make the show lounge what makes the place special!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 29th, 2014, 3:04 pm

I may/may not have heard, from a person I can verify exists in the world, that this will be a ten story, mid-market hotel.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 29th, 2014, 3:24 pm

I may/may not have heard, from a person I can verify exists in the world, that this will be a ten story, mid-market hotel.
and you are?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 29th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Some dumb rube!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2014, 3:50 pm

That will fit in pretty well next to the Lumber Exchange and just down from the Plymouth.

Although I'm sure everybody would love a new tower on this location, there's something nice about the idea of filling in the holes along Hennepin with a consistent 10-12 story fabric. The new Hampton Inn also follows this idea.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 29th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Why not, everyone can't afford to stay at the Conrad! Seems like a logical place for a mid priced limited service hotel. Walking distance from the theaters and the Mall, would have a skyway connection from the Lumber Exchange, right there a block from the Hennpin Ave LRT station which could take people to the Viking or the Twins Stadium. For walking distance to Target Center for ballgames and concert goers. Maybe help get the Lumber Exchange building a new lease on life too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 29th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Cool. I would have liked to see the tower someone (Avian?) hinted at, but as long as there's still a bunch of gaping holes on Hennepin, mid-rises suit me just fine.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 29th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Wonder if this is where a Radisson Red will go?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 29th, 2014, 5:32 pm

That would make sense, I think. A hotel aimed at the millennial set would work better on this side of downtown than in DTE, for sure.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 29th, 2014, 6:20 pm

That would make sense, I think. A hotel aimed at the millennial set would work better on this side of downtown than in DTE, for sure.
Having a Radisson Red with the 90's as an across the street neighbor would be a hoot!! Might be enough to help redevelop that half of that block on Hennepin. I think basically there are only 2-3 owners as the Rail, Sneaky Pete and the 90"s are owned by the same group. That leave Augie's and the corner building as the wild cards.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » September 2nd, 2014, 8:45 am

Losing that half block would be a great loss. It's the last bit of seediness on Hennepin and still a lively area. Granted the 90's looks like hell and could use some work, I would hope all of it stays in the long run.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 2nd, 2014, 3:13 pm

I prefer seedy to Disney!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 2nd, 2014, 6:56 pm

I know some 15 years ago or so that the Bloom's when they owned the 90's got a tax break for doing some terra cotta repair and cleaning of a historic building. The building has potential with the right redevelopment idea. But I think it will be awhile before the 90's goes away.

Would be nice if they could fill in the parking lots on that block with some buildings. That would help the street scape a lot. Both on Hennepin and by the LRT station.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 2nd, 2014, 8:11 pm

It would be, but it might be hard to build a building that preserves the seediness of the 90s block. As for the half-block across 5th, though, sky's the limit! I'd especially like to see the curb cut disappear, so that last vehicle lane could be closed and a side platform built to complement the new one at Nicollet Station.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 2nd, 2014, 9:33 pm

As far as the 90's block goes how about something like this but perhaps larger? https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=219