RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby BBMplsMN » April 5th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Any word on a skyway connection? When I toured the library recently, the guide mentioned that it was designed for a future connection to the Nicollet Hotel block. And would that leave just those two buildings connected since the library isn't connected to the rest of the grid?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 5th, 2016, 7:55 pm

Any word on a skyway connection? When I toured the library recently, the guide mentioned that it was designed for a future connection to the Nicollet Hotel block. And would that leave just those two buildings connected since the library isn't connected to the rest of the grid?

The skyway will connect to the library and from there the Ritz Block and the rest of downtown. At least from what I understood/can remember.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 8:00 pm

It's also being built to accommodate a skyway across Hennepin to any future project on that block.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 5th, 2016, 8:03 pm

I'm glad to hear this... the former Eclipse proposal was from Stanton (I think) and there is no question that that half block will move up the ranks of desirability scale...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2016, 8:12 pm

The skyway will connect to the library and from there the Ritz Block and the rest of downtown. At least from what I understood/can remember.
Yep. The library is designed for connections across 3rd, Nicollet, and 4th. That last one will never happen, as Xcel will never allow a public passage through 414 Nicollet, but the Opus project (365 Nicollet?) will connect to the library across Nicollet and to the new Xcel building (401 Nicollet) and to the rest of the system through there.

I was also glad to see that there's a planned connection across Hennepin. I know many people are very against skyways crossing Hennepin, but it's not like they'd go any further than that one building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 5th, 2016, 8:53 pm

How set-in-stone is the # of apartments? Great proposal thus far, but things can always get better. *fingers crossed*

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » April 5th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Just want to add that they're hoping to break ground Winter of 2017 or Spring of 2018 and it'll take 3 years to build.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 5th, 2016, 8:56 pm

I really like the design. the atrium reminds me of the Pillsbury center (USBank Plaza for the youngin's). Really disappointed about the timing though. Break ground late 2017 or early 2018 and finish 36 months later. A lot can change in 4 years.

Edit: crap, beat me to it.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 5th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Certainly the Four Seasons have a huge halo effect on the condos... and there could be more floors added to accommodate heightened interest and pre-sale.... But The high level demands of the Four Seasons do limit the height and number of additional condo units... I could imagine 5 more floors maybe 10 if there is a huge initial response... But each time a design proposal goes thru significant changes the city and it's departments have to weigh in and approve them... which can open a new can or worms... But Let's hope that initial response is very strong!

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 5th, 2016, 9:47 pm

I really like the design. the atrium reminds me of the Pillsbury center (USBank Plaza for the youngin's). Really disappointed about the timing though. Break ground late 2017 or early 2018 and finish 36 months later. A lot can change in 4 years.

Edit: crap, beat me to it.
The atrium is actually one of my favorite parts of the building!

Too bad this wasn't happening sooner, so it could've been open for the Super Bowl.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 9:57 pm

Certainly the Four Seasons have a huge halo effect on the condos... and there could be more floors added to accommodate heightened interest and pre-sale.... But The high level demands of the Four Seasons do limit the height and number of additional condo units... I could imagine 5 more floors maybe 10 if there is a huge initial response... But each time a design proposal goes thru significant changes the city and it's departments have to weigh in and approve them... which can open a new can or worms... But Let's hope that initial response is very strong!
These are going to be apartments. He said they would be 3$ a square foot or more, and that the average unit would be about 1700 Square feet. Their pricing and market confidence are going to be based on how well their project on Lake Calhoun does.

They never hinted at the possibility of adding more to the project, only doing less apartments if the market wouldn't handle it.

The southern side of the building has a nice curve now, and has a set back 4 stories from the top, which is nice.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 5th, 2016, 10:06 pm

This version of the design is probably the first realistic proposal that I would be comfortable saying is worthy of this site. The atrium connecting street and skyway and public plaza, the lighting, the massing, all the little details make this a winner in my book. To use the I-word...yeah I think it does get there if everything comes together. Which brings me to the biggest concern, execution. A groundbreaking a year and a half from now after 1.5 years of work already... I can't be the only one who sees red flags. Plus, we know from experience how well developers have followed through on lighting (not).

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 5th, 2016, 10:13 pm

These are going to be apartments. He said they would be 3$ a square foot or more, and that the average unit would be about 1700 Square feet. Their pricing and market confidence are going to be based on how well their project on Lake Calhoun does.

They never hinted at the possibility of adding more to the project, only doing less apartments if the market wouldn't handle it.

The southern side of the building has a nice curve now, and has a set back 4 stories from the top, which is nice.
I read this in the StarTribune and thought they meant condos... "Originally slated as rental apartments, Katter said the dwelling units will be "condominium-ready."... Then I responded to a previous post about adding to the project... but I can't find that post... so I think it may be the two scotches that I've had tonight... I think I am all caught up in the frenzy of the extra 5 floors and "light pole"... I'll try to tone it down ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2016, 10:34 pm

The links to the term sheet appear to be dead, but did anyone save a copy? I swear it had a deadline for starting construction on it, and that that deadline was less than two years away. Idk, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 6th, 2016, 7:32 am

United Properties expects the 30- to 36-month construction project could start at the end of 2017 and be complete in 2020. ..... From biz journal

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 6th, 2016, 7:36 am

This reminds me a lot of China Fortune Tower in Shanghai.

http://www.bioclimatic.de/fileadmin/_pr ... 051f1a.jpg

If it was squared off, and not tapered, it would have a more similar shape.

https://owc.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/ ... -Tower.jpg

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 6th, 2016, 8:13 am

Found the term sheet on the city website.

Deadlines:
Land use applications submitted (12 months after term sheet approval) January 2017.

Property closing (18 months ATSA, or 24 months for an additional 400k fee): July 2017/January 2018)

Construction start (3 months after closing):
October 2017/April 2018

Construction Complete (30 months after construction start): April 2020/October 2020

So, hopefully he was just being overly conservative about timing last night.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » April 6th, 2016, 8:52 am

Is the roof-line angled from south to north? I can't tell if the rendering is exaggerating perspective and it's really flat or if there is an angle...

The spire seems sort of tacked-on instead of integrated, but I guess that happens in nature as well...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 6th, 2016, 9:23 am

Yeah, there are like phantom floors on the top that angle down, just a big hollow glass crown.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 6th, 2016, 9:26 am

I really like the design, and the spire...I think it fits. The whole building kind of points up towards the spire, and I think it does kind of anchor the historic gateway. The timeline is nerve wracking though....that is a long ways out. Though I guess it is still on schedule for what's been planned.

PS, I was there last night too, but remained inconspicuous:)