RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 16th, 2014, 10:52 am

I think a plaza of sorts built into this block, (like a Peavey Plaza) would be better for this end of Nicollet. Connecting Survivors Park, the fountains/green space across Washington and the River seems better. I just think adding yet another "park" of grass is not going to ever do what people think it'll do downtown.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 16th, 2014, 11:00 am

Now what I don't understand is how this could possibly be true if they JUST submitted an RFP for this site -- presumably to generate the types of proposals rumored above? Does this happen often in the industry (there is already interest from a private party and then the City will come in an ask for an RFP to see if anybody else wants to "up the ante")?
It's probably just that it is such a well known site that people have had their eyes on it for years. And there have been previous RFPs issued by the City over the years too, it just never went anywhere. Both the market and Nicollet Mile/streetcar plans are now in the right place for something great to happen here. Also, all previous RFPs were required to include some kind of transit center, due to the fact that the City originally bought this property with a federal transit grant. This block was envisioned as some kind of bus transit hub, but that development never came to fruition and the City was finally freed of that obligation in 2013. Metro Transit seems to have solved the transit question by running their buses out of Leamington and Gateway ramps, ending the plans to do something here.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 16th, 2014, 11:04 am

There is still a lot of demand Lancestar. There are lots of letters of intent for this part of Minneapolis, people will still want to move downtown as well. I really haven't seen anything making downtown worse, just better. This won't be the only downtown taller than 20 story project we'll see in the next year or so. I've been told there are a few we'll hear about sometime soonish. Development is more centralized because that's where people want to build. They're open lots up for grabs and are up for grabs, and I'd rather see the ones in the core go before the ones on the outer.
One heck of an expansion, thanks for the info it's nice to know that we will continue to see more expansion in the short term. Downtown sure is building a new residential community from scratch.
The riverfront and the Park Board's extensive plans to improve that northward from just south of Hennepin doesn't count? Neither does the small triangle to the north of this or Cancer Survivors' Park to the east?
Maybe it's just me but I "feel" like Cancer Survivors park has signs that say "keep off the grass" Are WE ALL allowed to go play on the grass there without a security guard coming to shoo us away? If it was designed a bit more inviting it sure would be enough of a park to please a downtown dog lovers crowd I think..

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 16th, 2014, 11:43 am

This is just an assumption, but my guess was that the city informed developers of this before issuing the RFP to the public. I could be completely wrong, but I would think that would be possible. And as others have said, maybe this is just such a prized spot, that developers have just been drooling over the possibility of it coming online.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 16th, 2014, 1:14 pm

looking for something "iconic". let's hope.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped/cped_rfp
Nice to see the city has some high expectations here! We need more of this attitude in our downtown development.
Should turn out fine as long as local developers are not involved.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 16th, 2014, 2:47 pm

OK, fine, call it a plaza, whatever. The north end of the CBD needs a visible gathering space accessible in a 5-10 minute walk from the officebot cubes. Cancer Survivors is not that, Gateway Park is not that, the river is not that. It wouldn't need to be the whole block, but it should be big enough to program moderately-sized activities such as small concerts or vendor fairs. This of course isn't the only possible site for such a 'plaza', but it is the only one the city controls, and the difficulty of procuring another makes me think that the city doesn't really care about such things that make cities livable.
"Who rescued whom!"

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 16th, 2014, 2:55 pm

OK, fine, call it a plaza, whatever. The north end of the CBD needs a visible gathering space accessible in a 5-10 minute walk from the officebot cubes. Cancer Survivors is not that, Gateway Park is not that, the river is not that. It wouldn't need to be the whole block, but it should be big enough to program moderately-sized activities such as small concerts or vendor fairs. This of course isn't the only possible site for such a 'plaza', but it is the only one the city controls, and the difficulty of procuring another makes me think that the city doesn't really care about such things that make cities livable.
Is there really a shortage of places downtown to hold a small concert or vendor fair? If I had a nickel for every "plaza" I walk by downtown that's empty, I'd be close to rich by now.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 16th, 2014, 3:12 pm

I have to agree with Jake, We have Peavey Plaza for that purpose. Common's is as close to office workers, or closer than the Nicollet block is. We have space now that is very underused right now that they need to spend the money to fix up, not add another drain of resources by building yet another performance space or walk thru space. The park budget is already way under funded as it is.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 16th, 2014, 3:16 pm

This is just an assumption, but my guess was that the city informed developers of this before issuing the RFP to the public. I could be completely wrong, but I would think that would be possible. And as others have said, maybe this is just such a prized spot, that developers have just been drooling over the possibility of it coming online.
With having both a Nicollet and a Hennepin address on this block it is much more a prize than the Ritz block. Not to mention that it front one of the main thru east/west arteries on Washington.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 16th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Many prominent people, including the Downtown Council, the Star Tribune editorial board, and the shadowy elites behind Plan-it Hennepin agree on the need for more downtown green space. I believe that anyone who's been to a number of North American downtowns will agree that Minneapolis has less than average amount of quality, usable plaza space. Whether they realize it or not, by offering this site for private development, CPED is shrugging their shoulders on this issue.
"Who rescued whom!"

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 16th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Compromise: Park with a sequoia?

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 16th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Many prominent people, including the Downtown Council, the Star Tribune editorial board, and the shadowy elites behind Plan-it Hennepin agree on the need for more downtown green space. I believe that anyone who's been to a number of North American downtowns will agree that Minneapolis has less than average amount of quality, usable plaza space. Whether they realize it or not, by offering this site for private development, CPED is shrugging their shoulders on this issue.
Is this before or after the large amount of open green space a few blocks east was approved?

Also, I disagree with any claim that Minneapolis has too few parks...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » October 16th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Compromise: Park with a sequoia?

Perfect......you can run the streetcar line through it

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 16th, 2014, 4:24 pm

We are also one of the few cities in the country that truly has a compact core. Put the green space on Hennepin next to the Cowle Theater and the LRT station. That half block along 5th would be just where is would be in the central part of the city. Then your performance space can be for dance or what ever. Using all of the Nicollet block for another park, especially that block is not in the cities best interest.

Some cities have museums in their central core so they get green space that way. We put alot of our amenities on the edge of town and in the neighborhoods which other cities do not do.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 16th, 2014, 5:38 pm

I don't think a park or plaza in the typical sense works well here. With Hennepin and Washington flanking it, it seems like a tense place for idle recreation. I would like to see that finger/linear park idea pushed. Like a greenway weaving through mixed use towers on Ritz and Nicollet blocks and then linked to a refurbed Gateway Park and on to the Post Office's chunk of land down by the river (terminating at Chris Farley's van).

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 16th, 2014, 6:09 pm

The only reason why a park or plaza is being discussed is because there might be a streetcar line through here. Making a park or plaza would make the station more appealing that just concrete and iron. The MPRB wants to build a greenway from the river to this block actually

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » October 16th, 2014, 7:11 pm

If people are opposed to a park there, you can still build the trolley through that block and utilize the entire block. Build up and around the proposed trolleys tracks. Been done before. Boom, done, pretty cool, too.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 16th, 2014, 8:36 pm

The only reason why a park or plaza is being discussed is because there might be a streetcar line through here. Making a park or plaza would make the station more appealing that just concrete and iron.
I get that, but I just don't think this block/development/station should be a resting point. I think this block could be the hub of a new Gateway: get people in, out, engaged and moving. Honestly, I think Gateway Park could be redone for an immediate place to be static (not a Nicollet Hotel block plaza). And, make it easier to cross Washington, because right now, it is near fist-fights between motorists and pedestrians.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 17th, 2014, 6:06 am

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 17th, 2014, 8:09 am

That was funny. I see a few of our people are already commenting on the article.