RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby Anondson » December 12th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I want to see the an image of the Duval proposal from the same skyview-looking-down the United proposal offers.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 12th, 2014, 2:51 pm

I want to see the an image of the Duval proposal from the same skyview-looking-down the United proposal offers.
I'm not sure they could get a camera high enough... :D

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 12th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Im hoping someone is tirelessly & voluntarily whipping up SketchUp images of all proposals from all angles of the city right now.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2014, 2:51 pm

^I was wondering where all that green space was coming from too. It seems they want to blend Cancer Survivor's Park, maybe part of their lot, plus the Powers(?) block across from the library into some park.
Yep, it does look like they include that block. I don't know if that will fly but I like the idea! Looks like they vacated 3rd St. as well, which is almost certainly a no-no.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 12th, 2014, 2:54 pm

^I was wondering where all that green space was coming from too. It seems they want to blend Cancer Survivor's Park, maybe part of their lot, plus the Powers(?) block across from the library into some park.
Yep, it does look like they include that block. I don't know if that will fly but I like the idea! Looks like they vacated 3rd St. as well, which is almost certainly a no-no.
Looks more like that glassy structure abuts 3rd Street and then contains a wide skyway to the library. I dont really see it blocking and yes, that would indeed be a no-no.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2014, 2:56 pm

The Duval proposal eliminates vehicular traffic from 3rd Street? Nice. I'm game.

But it seems to lack a street presence. It seems like there's an inverse relationship between "iconic" and "human scale" in these renderings so far.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Looks like they vacated 3rd St. as well, which is almost certainly a no-no.
Looks more like that glassy structure abuts 3rd Street and then contains a wide skyway to the library. I dont really see it blocking and yes, that would indeed be a no-no.
You are right. The higher-res rendering on SSC clearly shows a street there, wth perfectly smooth concrete. :)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 12th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Is there any street that mattaudio is not in favor of removing vehicular traffic?

Asking for a friend.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 12th, 2014, 3:00 pm

The Duval proposal eliminates vehicular traffic from 3rd Street? Nice. I'm game.

But it seems to lack a street presence. It seems like there's an inverse relationship between "iconic" and "human scale" in these renderings so far.
Take a look at the high-res image post from several posts ago. The street frontage on 3rd has some left to be desired, for sure, but I think it looks wonderful on Nicollet, assuming there will be more doors and less blank "look-inside-this-pretty-building-that-we-have-to-walk-200-feet-further-to-get-into" feel.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 12th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Odd-shaped blocks really can produce innovative buildings.

If it wasn't a choice between these, if hypothetically any of these were offered with none of the others as alternatives, I would be happy and would only offer minor nits.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 12th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 12th, 2014, 3:04 pm

From very close look of the high res drawing of Duval it looks like it may come to a very sharp point on Washington. Almost triangular like the Flatiron, except the side on Hennepin might have a curved face...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 12th, 2014, 3:28 pm

When viewing the rendering of the tower component of the Doran proposal , I like it much better. However, I agree with Architorture it needs to be taller. This should be iconic from both a street and skyline perspective.

My hunch is the Duval project will be the winner overwhelmingly. People are weary of the same old scale, height, materials in this city. The city has clearly instructed the developers they want something different. Duval's proposal is the only one that comes close to actually responding to what the city requested. And no doubt we will get another squat 30 story apartment project with a restaurant on the Ritz Block. That's fine for there, but terminus of the Mall needs something with oomph.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 12th, 2014, 4:02 pm

At first blush I like the Duval proposal least. The other two have put good thought into the specific site and will create what could be a cool public space -- the new gateway to Nicollet Mall. The Duval building is random skyscraper in random location. I do think its beautiful -- but the others seem like much better overall proposals.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 12th, 2014, 4:11 pm

From what we can glean from the renderings, the UP proposal seems heads and shoulders the best in terms of its response to the site and the streetcar requirements.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 12th, 2014, 4:15 pm

According to the Business Journal , Duval is working with Perkins and Will, Adolfson and Peterson and Cuningham Group on the project. I agree the base of his proposal wasn't addressed very well in the concept rendering. However, with that stellar group of architects working for him, I am confident they will be able come up with something very appealing and workable for the street level if they are chosen.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » December 12th, 2014, 4:17 pm

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... duval.html

Says Duval is working with Perkins and Will, Adolfson and Peterson and Cuningham Group on the project.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 12th, 2014, 4:18 pm

At first blush I like the Duval proposal least. The other two have put good thought into the specific site and will create what could be a cool public space -- the new gateway to Nicollet Mall. The Duval building is random skyscraper in random location. I do think its beautiful -- but the others seem like much better overall proposals.
Not having seen what the real street level is for the Duval, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt over the BVK proposal. Not at all impressed with the Doran proposal. I see a lot of lousy imitations that does not fit together.
The United at ground level looks like they actually did some out of the box thinking. The tower however is uninspiring, that can be tweaked to look better and have more flair.
From what I see of the Duval is more of a massing exercise from that one picture. Would like to see any sketches of the street level and how they are working in the street car right of way.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » December 12th, 2014, 4:23 pm

From very close look of the high res drawing of Duval it looks like it may come to a very sharp point on Washington. Almost triangular like the Flatiron, except the side on Hennepin might have a curved face...
I noticed that too - theres definitely some curvature happening when you look at the lines that trace the hennepin/washington side of the crown.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 12th, 2014, 4:28 pm

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... duval.html

Says Duval is working with Perkins and Will, Adolfson and Peterson and Cuningham Group on the project.
Mr Duval must be a very well connected guy to have those architects working for him. I suspect he may have the $$$ to actually do something of the caliber he is proposing.