Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Mayo Clinic Square

Postby MNdible » June 5th, 2015, 10:59 am

Just an aside, if I'm going to open up a boutique destination retail store that needs to attract people from a wide area, I'm not going to open it up in the downtown CBD proper, where rents are high and parking is difficult. I think this is why you're seeing the North Loop retail scene surging. You get a still very-central location, cheaper rents, and easier parking.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 5th, 2015, 11:10 am

^I'd add to that list that you also have a built-in customer base: nearby residents. Part of why the core of downtown lacks much retail is because nobody really lives there (never developments aside, of course). If you're in a parking-constrained area already, why not choose somewhere that's at least near residents?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2015, 11:59 am

Yes. Doorways and windows with PEOPLE INSIDE facing the street! Not the kind of thing you'll see at Walgreens' and CVS's -- with windows that face the street but you can't see inside the store and nobody inside the store can see the people on the street.
The Walgreens and CVSs on campus all have windows on the street and you can see in from the outside and see out from the inside.

Sent from my phone
I'd say they are the exception to the rules. Look at the CVS on Hennepin and 11th, as well as the one in Skyscape. If you want to see what a real normal version of one of their retail stores is like, these represent the majority!!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 5th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Well your examples are older than my examples. I've also seen some newer Chicago Walgreens stores that are very open. So I guess if the point is to compare the current state as bad actors then yeah, you're right. If the point is to say what those spaces could be going forward then I think there's hope.

But I don't actually know what the point is anymore.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Well your examples are older than my examples. I've also seen some newer Chicago Walgreens stores that are very open. So I guess if the point is to compare the current state as bad actors then yeah, you're right. If the point is to say what those spaces could be going forward then I think there's hope.

But I don't actually know what the point is anymore.
The art of retailer covering windows so we can't see in and they can't see out and not having doors to the outside for patrons to use.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 6th, 2015, 7:40 am

I was pointing out that we cannot simply write off people in the suburbs just because they happen to live outside the boundaries of Minneapolis.
I don't think we're really disagreeing here, except to say that there isn't anything to "write off." People are not going to come to the city to shop. People will be in the city, because of work, where they live or what event they are going to. Downtown retail should be focused on those people.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 10th, 2015, 10:47 pm

This building was an ugly duckling that now has turned into a swan. Walk by this evening after the game and it was all lit up and it was gorgeous. Not really a fan of the T-wolve and Lynx that are up there. But with the lights, they are pretty much washed out. Like the bright lit sidewalks and walls, can't wait until there are real windows on the ground floor.

Also at the ballgame from my seat I could see the Marq4 between the Butler Square and the 50 S 6th building. Looks like most of the façade is up except the top floor from my 1st baseline vantage point. The crown on the Nic also was aglow too which was nice.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » June 13th, 2015, 9:00 am

Chicago-based Old Town Pour House (http://www.oldtownpourhouse.com) signed a lease for the old GameWorks space at the corner of 7th and Hennepin.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2015, 9:25 am

Great, the first rain drop has fallen, let hope the leases start getting signed and this will fill up faster now that tenants can see what they are buying into. Hope this filling out happens sooner than later!!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 13th, 2015, 11:19 am

I think its great that Chicago is starting to recognize our growth as a city and starting to invest in it. More and more Chicago restaurants and hopefully some shopping soon too

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2015, 1:04 pm

I think its great that Chicago is starting to recognize our growth as a city and starting to invest in it. More and more Chicago restaurants and hopefully some shopping soon too
They can shop all they want. If they don't put out a quality product from the start they will be like many chains that have come into the city thinking there is gold, only to find that we take our food seriously. Over priced, mediocre food will give you a short term on life with a long term lease to bare.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 13th, 2015, 1:17 pm

I was kind of talking about Chicago restaurants and businesses in general there. But what you say is true.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 13th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Hi everyone,

First time posting, long time lurking.

For those hoping for another YardHouse, this appears to be your answer.

I wonder if they'll change the name at all due to the name "Pourhouse" already being taken in the local market.

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » June 14th, 2015, 7:23 am

Not only taken, but within a couple blocks...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 14th, 2015, 8:16 am

Clicking around their website, it looks like they have several locations in Chicago proper, all with different names, and then the Old Town Pour House name also has locations in two other cities. (Well, one's a Chicago suburb, but still.) So, maybe they'll use one of the other names instead?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 15th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Imagine a Pei Wei as the fast casual restaurant. Would love that.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » June 16th, 2015, 2:30 pm

They can shop all they want. If they don't put out a quality product from the start they will be like many chains that have come into the city thinking there is gold, only to find that we take our food seriously. Over priced, mediocre food will give you a short term on life with a long term lease to bare.
EXACTLY - see Prime Bar in uptown... How long did they last in calhoun Square? a year?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 16th, 2015, 8:36 pm

EXACTLY - see Prime Bar in uptown... How long did they last in calhoun Square? a year?
LOL, That was my main focus in my mind when I wrote that. I want to say they lasted less than 9 months. Expensive food, but not very good experience from what I heard from people who had eaten there.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » July 13th, 2015, 7:22 am

Looks like Chicago based restaurant will be going into the old Borders space on 6th. I would be surprised if they actually use the Pour House name.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... ml?ana=twt

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 13th, 2015, 8:33 am

Someone on here had the inside scoop on this one...at least I think it was this site it was mentioned a few weeks back. Doesn't really sound all that special or unique. We will see!