Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Scott16475
City Center

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Scott16475 » February 21st, 2014, 4:13 pm

I'm confused about this. The article states, "...It includes a 150-room hotel branded as Radisson Red "built under a 200-unit apartment tower within a single 27-story structure," according to the city."

Does this mean the apartment will be 27 stories tall and the hotel, built underneath the apartment, will be an 'X' amount of floors making the building MORE than 27 stories or does it mean the hotel and apartment will be a TOTAL of 27 stories?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 21st, 2014, 4:15 pm

TOTAL
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 21st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Does this mean the apartment will be 27 stories tall and the hotel, built underneath the apartment, will be an 'X' amount of floors making the building MORE than 27 stories or does it mean the hotel and apartment will be a TOTAL of 27 stories?
I was confused by that as well. However, I think the fact that they state "...within a single 27-story structure" means that it'll be 27 stories tall. But I could be wrong too.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » February 21st, 2014, 4:32 pm

Height is still 27 stories, basically unchanged from original proposal. Number of apartments reduced from 282 to 200. That's how they keep height the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 21st, 2014, 5:15 pm

The El Paso Taco girl sums up the current development duel well. If they keep the hotel combo on the bottom levels and the apartments on top, we could have a new iconic super-tall that would easily end up being the premier address in downtown Minneapolis. Take a page from the Westin Residences in Edina, the Ivy, etc.. Either way, realistically speaking, I'd much rather see an apartment tower than a "Spring Hill Suites" . What is this Maplewood? Like I said in a perfect world I would love to see a combo, but I would much prefer an apartment tower. Should it end up being a hotel, I only wish they would drop the downstream Spring Hill brand and have the entire thing be an AC.
^ Originally Posted February 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Ask and you shall receive, muthafuckas
Last edited by JackGrayson on February 22nd, 2014, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 21st, 2014, 5:16 pm

Mortenson's proposal is 10 floors (including the ramp)...don't ask me how, but I just know.
If that true then we really would be in for another Highland Bank Court/Residence Inn situation...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 21st, 2014, 5:20 pm

I don't think it'll be a Lasalle court. Lol

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 21st, 2014, 5:41 pm

I don't think it'll be a Lasalle court. Lol
Who said anything about LaSalle Court?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 21st, 2014, 6:36 pm

That is what highland bank court was called, and I think is again...since highland bank isn't there. That's what it was called forever.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 21st, 2014, 9:17 pm

Well I for one am fairly thrilled Ryan stepped up to the plate and added this hotel component to the project, really making this project stand out as the best of the two options!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 21st, 2014, 9:55 pm

Well I for one am fairly thrilled Ryan stepped up to the plate and added this hotel component to the project, really making this project stand out as the best of the two options!
Someone from their company must have been trolling our site :) I'm thrilled that it's going to be a Red, one of their two brand new concept hotels.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 21st, 2014, 10:02 pm

If you read the proposal closely they are teaming with Magellan that is building the LaSalle apt. tower in Loring Park. This could be great.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 21st, 2014, 10:17 pm

Ryan's proposal is getting more promising. I like the combination of uses here and collaborating with Magellan. This is more of what I was hoping for (as I said in earlier comments). Yay! :D

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 21st, 2014, 11:44 pm

Can we all just step back and think about if Arden Hills would have got the stadium? I know Wilf wanted to develop DE regardless, but it wouldn't have been like this. Downtown Stadium detractors can officially feel stupid now.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 22nd, 2014, 8:54 am

Can we all just step back and think about if Arden Hills would have got the stadium? I know Wilf wanted to develop DE regardless, but it wouldn't have been like this. Downtown Stadium detractors can officially feel stupid now.
do realize that would could have had a whole new residential area perhaps with another loring sized pond and a lot if other amenities if the stadium wasn't built here... it has actually taken longer to develop DTE than if the stadium wasn't there. personally I'm excited about the stadium, but it wasn't the key to developing this area. it had to be settled before anyone was willing to start building.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2014, 9:40 am

I'm not so sure about that. These developments would almost certainly not have happened (at least to the same scale) without the presence of the stadium. Even this particular development (air rights over parking ramp) is fueled by the stadium and the new park that's in front of it. Had we built a park with a pond instead I think we would have had redevelopment as well (and not to mention an awesome Minnesota-style downtown neighborhood), but I don't think it would have happened nearly as fast and to the same scale as what we've seen thus far:

-2 18-story 750,000 SF office towers housing 5,000 Wells Fargo employees
-a 6-story, 200-unit apartment building bookending the park as part of the above office development
-a 27-story mixed-use apartment and hotel tower, with retail and a restaurant at ground level

This is all in addition to the $1 billion stadium and $25 million 2.5-block urban park that's under way.

I think it's also only a matter of time before we hear about a new concept at The Armory across the park, and there are at least one or two parcels just to the East/Southeast of The Armory that front the new park that should be white-hot properties for redevelopment (that's partly why I think the 27-story proposal here isn't too "short", because I think there could be something taller on the south side of the park across from it).

Scott16475
City Center

Postby Scott16475 » February 22nd, 2014, 11:08 am

Thanks; I was confused about the height so thank you for answering. Another question I have is - with this building containing both residence and a hotel, does anyone know if the majority of highrise buildings in, say Chicago and NYC, are mixed use? Do most of their towers contain both businesses and residences in a single building? Because this building in DTE will be both, which I love, it has me wondering about other cities. I wish we would do more conbination type buildings. Thanks in advance!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 22nd, 2014, 11:37 am

Chicago and NY have a lot of the taller mixed use buildings. Michigan Avenue has numbers hotel/condo type structures. Trump is a mixed use as well. The hotel/residence has certain advantages and compatibilities in terms of usage and traffic.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 22nd, 2014, 11:59 am

I'm not so sure about that. These developments would almost certainly not have happened (at least to the same scale) without the presence of the stadium. Even this particular development (air rights over parking ramp) is fueled by the stadium and the new park that's in front of it. Had we built a park with a pond instead I think we would have had redevelopment as well (and not to mention an awesome Minnesota-style downtown neighborhood), but I don't think it would have happened nearly as fast and to the same scale as what we've seen thus far:

-2 18-story 750,000 SF office towers housing 5,000 Wells Fargo employees
-a 6-story, 200-unit apartment building bookending the park as part of the above office development
-a 27-story mixed-use apartment and hotel tower, with retail and a restaurant at ground level

This is all in addition to the $1 billion stadium and $25 million 2.5-block urban park that's under way.

I think it's also only a matter of time before we hear about a new concept at The Armory across the park, and there are at least one or two parcels just to the East/Southeast of The Armory that front the new park that should be white-hot properties for redevelopment (that's partly why I think the 27-story proposal here isn't too "short", because I think there could be something taller on the south side of the park across from it).
with the demand for housing, it probably would have been me fluid, less master planned blocks by a single developer, and a park has always been planned in the area... so, I would have been ok with it taken longer too

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 22nd, 2014, 2:02 pm

I'm not feeling stupid now. The reasons I wanted the stadium in Arden Hills have nothing to do with development or lack of in downtown.