Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Wouldnt the ramp be done anyways since it would be the first part constructed during the building process? Couldnt the ramp still open while the tower is still being built?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 5th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Feels odd to have the hotel built and operational before the stadium is in use. Best to time completion right before game day, IMO...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 6th, 2014, 9:11 am

Feels odd to have the hotel built and operational before the stadium is in use. Best to time completion right before game day, IMO...
According to all the news reports, the hotel & apartment portion will open about a year after the stadium (Stadium will be completed by August 2016, Hotel/Apartment is slated for an August 2017 completion). I'm not sure why there's a delay from the Wells Fargo towers... they certainly could do those, the ramp and the hotel/apartment tower all at the same time. But clearly there's a reason for the dates being different.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 6th, 2014, 9:31 am

Looking at the construction cam, I can't help but notice that they've poured a concrete wall surrounding the base of one of the tower cranes. I'm guessing that eventually this will be an elevator shaft?

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » June 9th, 2014, 10:07 am

It seems odd that it's going to take them 1 year to build a parking ramp.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 9th, 2014, 10:39 am

Looking at the construction cam, I can't help but notice that they've poured a concrete wall surrounding the base of one of the tower cranes. I'm guessing that eventually this will be an elevator shaft?
Not really sure what you're talking about here... the parking ramp block hasn't had any demo or construction started.
I think you're talking about the tower crane in the live cam for the stadium - which is another thread.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 9th, 2014, 10:57 am

You're right. That should have been in the stadium thread.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 20th, 2014, 10:09 am

I know this is impossible, but does anyone else wish that this particular block was being developed in such a way that the existing three-story building was incorporated into the plan somehow? It's pretty anonymous (I can't count how many times I walked by it on the way to a Twins game in the Dome without noticing it), but the brickwork is nice enough and the cornice is simple but classic.

That block is going to be quite monolithic in form (yes, the air rights portion will look nice) and this old-school building façade would add some visual interest. The windows could be easily replaced with big glassy ones to open things up a bit and the main entrance on 4th could become a lobby for the hotel or the ramp. Heck, they could pull down everything behind the face and build inside it for all I care. But it's a nice-looking, unpretentious building that would add some historical feel to an area that will otherwise be wiped clean without a trace of the past for blocks in all directions.

/daydream
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 20th, 2014, 10:11 am

Duh... lol but if the Strib building couldn't even make it...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 20th, 2014, 10:11 am

Street view: https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.975714,- ... 4,,0,-4.45

Additional thought: The old canopy hanging over the loading dock would be a super cool side entrance to the parking ramp.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.976151,- ... 18,,0,7.79
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 20th, 2014, 10:12 am

The Strib building is in the way of the tailga— er, park. This one isn't ;)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 20th, 2014, 10:15 am

The Strib building is in the way of the tailga— er, park. This one isn't ;)
;)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 20th, 2014, 12:36 pm

I know this is impossible, but does anyone else wish that this particular block was being developed in such a way that the existing three-story building was incorporated into the plan somehow? It's pretty anonymous (I can't count how many times I walked by it on the way to a Twins game in the Dome without noticing it), but the brickwork is nice enough and the cornice is simple but classic.

That block is going to be quite monolithic in form (yes, the air rights portion will look nice) and this old-school building façade would add some visual interest. The windows could be easily replaced with big glassy ones to open things up a bit and the main entrance on 4th could become a lobby for the hotel or the ramp. Heck, they could pull down everything behind the face and build inside it for all I care. But it's a nice-looking, unpretentious building that would add some historical feel to an area that will otherwise be wiped clean without a trace of the past for blocks in all directions.

/daydream
Agreed 100%, but unlikely. When I was in DC I noticed a lot of what monoliths could bring to an area. Although DC is lovely and the development going on is crazy and envious, I prefer the narrower/smaller infill every time to the giant blocks of projects.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » June 20th, 2014, 10:15 pm

I too really think this building would be great if redeveloped. Reminds me of some of the buildings in the North Loop. The canopy/loading dock area would make a great outdoor dining space.

timdski
Block E

Postby timdski » June 30th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Sure hope that Radisson's decision doesn't throw this project back to square one.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... l?page=all

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 30th, 2014, 4:27 pm

^^^Too bad but I think it will mainly just take more time. Radisson may not have what it takes to get the job done for other reasons, not just their financial inability. I can't imagine with such a prime spot another good hotel chain won't be interested in the near future.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 30th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Perhaps Ryan has another development that Radisson wants to be in on instead.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 30th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Perhaps Ryan has another development that Radisson wants to be in on instead.
Agree. That was mentioned in the article. I'm betting there will be several hotel projects built in DTE over the next decade.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 1st, 2014, 9:19 am

There are plenty of hotel chains and concepts that would be glad to fill the void left by the Radisson's departure. I think they will kick themselves later, but I've not seen their numbers.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2014, 9:24 am

My guess is that they might want to be closer to Nicollet/Hennepin/Gateway because the new Red brand would work well with stronger ties to the North Loop.