Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2014, 10:27 pm

I could envision a low rise structure on the corner above the underground ramp -- it might read more as a landscape piece than a traditional building. There will still need to be auto access into the ramp, as well as vertical circulation. I think that a concept that incorporates the above mentioned land bridge from the new above ground parking ramp and the skyway (for the non VIPers) with the underground ramp's circulation could work out pretty well.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » March 15th, 2014, 5:20 am

Very rough Google Earth model for this project:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... ee90a1af01

I don't think we've heard any height number. I made the model to be 330 ft.

Click download... and download the KMZ file. Opens in Google Earth.

*Edit* I guess the official height with this current proposal is 312 ft. Imagine the model a sliver or two shorter. For reference, the Wells Fargo towers (pictured) are at 301 feet. Vikings stadium (also pictured) is at 272 feet. I've corrected the height on the actual model, if anyone downloads that.

*Edit again* I had linked to other models in other threads... but Google/Sketchup re-arranged their services/website. All of those old links are no longer valid. If anyone would like to view any of the other projects... 4 marq, nic, wells fargo, etc... go here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collec ... 769f5dd3e1
Last edited by m b p on March 17th, 2014, 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mrcity

Postby mrcity » March 17th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Other than the Minneapolis Armory, I am curious about the other buildings on 5th street adjacent to the Park space. Are they possible tear downs? It would seem like a very desirable location for another office building... or perhaps two.

Since the wells fargo and ryan buildings are only about 300ft tall, a couple 500 footers would have great step-down views to the river as well as create a sort of pyramid effect viewed from SE main street, on the east side of the river...

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 17th, 2014, 4:59 pm

I believe that it would be hard to get the government buildings torn down (ME, Juvenile Court, jails, etc), but perhaps some of the parking ramps or maybe the Armory could meet the wrecking ball. I'd really like to see some ramps demolished.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 17th, 2014, 5:04 pm

I believe that it would be hard to get the government buildings torn down (ME, Juvenile Court, jails, etc), but perhaps some of the parking ramps or maybe the Armory could meet the wrecking ball. I'd really like to see some ramps demolished.
The armory will never be torn down.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 17th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Hennepin County tried to level it once already, and the Supreme Court ruled that demolishing it is illegal due to its historic status:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Armory

Also, I really hope you weren't suggesting that the Armory is a good candidate for demolition (I am perhaps misreading your intent- I apologize if so). It's arguably the best streamline moderne building in the state, and I believe the only armory designed in that style in the entire country.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Too much height on the south side could make for a dark park.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 17th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I didn't mean that the Armory should be torn down, I just wasn't aware of it's protected status. I suppose my commentary was more based on how historic preservation seems to be approached from the wrong sides here in Minnesota (i.e. protecting things that are less worthwhile to history; demolishing those that are).

My personal preference for the Armory is that it is renovated into anything but a parking lot. I think a market (maybe move the Nicollet Mall Farmers Market over here and make it a daily thing???) would be a wonderful option.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 17th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Not if the buildings are skinny and turned to their side so to maximize sunshine.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 18th, 2014, 9:30 am

Have I missed something, or is Mortenson not releasing anything on their proposal? Has the Ryan project been selected?

mrcity

Postby mrcity » March 18th, 2014, 9:57 am

Not if the buildings are skinny and turned to their side so to maximize sunshine.
Also would you rather have a slightly shaded park or one with great views of a Juvenile Detention Center? I mean seriously nobody talks about this, but the 5th avenue side of the park will look extremely ugly unless something replaces the JDC and adjacent parking lot. Quite a vista:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&l ... CCoQxB0wAA

Maybe Mortenson could build their proposal on that side of the park and the existing Hennepin county detention centers could be rebuilt in Edina? [Hint to city council] ;)

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 10:05 am

Helpful context:
re: the ME parking lot. My understanding is that part of the problem is they need a certain chunk of the lot for equipment/trailers that get attached to the loading docks in a serious emergency situation. It's not an issue for daily operations, but for it to remain viable and certified to use as a command/control area in a serious emergency, they need a certain amount of space in the lot that would interfere with development plans. I feel like there should be a way to accommodate that, but those were the ME's concerns that I've heard.
This area is separated from the rest of the block by a wall (and in some places, elevation differences). Certainly, something could be built here and not affect the operations explained above.

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 18th, 2014, 10:08 am

The block in question is also going to be squared off once 5th st parallel to the stadium site is removed, which will add more land to this property.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 18th, 2014, 11:46 am

Have I missed something, or is Mortenson not releasing anything on their proposal? Has the Ryan project been selected?
Last week the city suggested that the Ryan project be the one to move forward.
Now the question remains, will this project have any modifications now that they have been selected? I would like to see maybe 2 or 3 more floors to set this a little above the projects around it.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 18th, 2014, 12:01 pm

^^^^Very appreciative of your response nordeast homer. Did we ever see a proposal from Mortenson?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 18th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Nothing made public that I'm aware of. I don't know that they even had drawings made. They had give a room count and from that some had derived that it would be in the 10-15 story range.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 20th, 2014, 2:26 pm

One would think that there would have to be something in the way of drawings for the city to make the decision to go with Ryan?? Oh well, we may never know.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 20th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Wasn't Mortenson's announcement suppose to be at the end of this month?

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » March 20th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Very rough Google Earth model for this project:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... ee90a1af01

I don't think we've heard any height number. I made the model to be 330 ft.

Click download... and download the KMZ file. Opens in Google Earth.

*Edit* I guess the official height with this current proposal is 312 ft. Imagine the model a sliver or two shorter. For reference, the Wells Fargo towers (pictured) are at 301 feet. Vikings stadium (also pictured) is at 272 feet. I've corrected the height on the actual model, if anyone downloads that.

*Edit again* I had linked to other models in other threads... but Google/Sketchup re-arranged their services/website. All of those old links are no longer valid. If anyone would like to view any of the other projects... 4 marq, nic, wells fargo, etc... go here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collec ... 769f5dd3e1

Reading on other forums it would seem your very well done 3d model might be to short. With rumors of a building as tall 50 floors and with construction not even set to begin on this block for some time reworking the numbers is as "simple" as plugging numbers into math formulas to see what would work. A building this tall would really anchor the skyline well.

Alas if the 27 version is what we end up with it looks fine, sort of is subdued in design almost to say look at the stadium, notice me after you have already got a full blast of sexy stadium view. Then when you look at me you would almost smile at how just above average I look and appreciate that viewing two very sexy buildings at the same time may cause nose bleeds. :lol: Then again I would be willing to risk that if the 27 story tower was scrapped and we see a taller even more sexy tower on same block.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 20th, 2014, 4:21 pm

People are talking about 50-floor versions of this project, or another project on the same site? Yours is the first rumor I've heard.