Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site

Postby Nathan » July 7th, 2016, 7:52 am

I dunno, I've been trying to come up with a productive response to this, but it's hard. It's just a bad building. You don't have to compete with the Vikings stadium to design a nice building. Better uses of color? Pattern? I can understand a simple shape, but that mundane glass "tower"on the corner and then the rest of the building is the same exact scheme as the WF towers. I'm really disappointed. The experience from in the park is going to be really underwhelming. I'll hold out for better renderings but they better be trying hard for that anchor tenant, there are a few other nicer things going on, on the lrt that id choose first.

Southside
City Center

Postby Southside » July 7th, 2016, 8:26 am

Considering how great the Millwright Building's design is, I thought Ryan was starting to really step it up in this area.

However, I will be happy if almost anything gets built here rather than having the eyesore parking ramp front yard like at the Guthrie. I do not work in corporate real estate, but I think prospective lessors in this area are probably looking for modern, full floor Class A office space close, but at a discount, to the downtown core. Discounts generally do not command premium architecture.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 7th, 2016, 8:30 am

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I personally think the parking ramp was the worst part of the whole Vikings deal and anything that covers that up is a win in my book. I can stomach paying for a stadium but not a full-block parking ramp against city law. While this building may not be pretty it at least keeps that ugly fact out of sight and out of mind.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 7th, 2016, 8:42 am

the proposal from two years ago for this site was a superior building. 10 floors higher but is was a glass box with accents. this update is just an extension of the wells fargo wall.
I agree that the previous design was much better! Though there really wasn't much height difference. Sure it was to be 26 floors, but 26 residential floors. If you look back at the renderings, it was almost exactly the same height as this proposal....close to 300 feet...right in line with WF buildings.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 7th, 2016, 10:20 am

Live shot from Ryan Companies office working on the Stadium Parking Ramp discussing how they can bolster the context created by the Wells Fargo buildings.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » July 7th, 2016, 10:23 am

Well said Archiapolis.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 13th, 2016, 12:35 pm

They've released much clearer renderings. I know that the dark brown stuff is going to be Cor-Ten and the green is a green wall. They're still undecided on the last couple of materials. Stone and some sort of higher quality metal banding. I want to see maybe a curve around the back!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 13th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Ahh yes, the "living wall". Ryan makes sure to hype it like it's something special you've got to see. Spoiler, it's just moss on a wall. It smell's weird too.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2016, 12:48 pm

I'm just uncomfortable with the massing of these nearly-full-block towers. Take out the green wall or the corten, and this looks like one of the new UHG tower widgets being placed across the southwest suburbs.

Edit: Maybe the living wall is to extend the faux-nature of the birch trees embossed on the parking podium screen.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 13th, 2016, 1:06 pm

The similarity of the architecture makes me think the intended tenant is the same as the Wells Fargo Towers. I'll try and ask around to see if maybe there are more moves in store.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I'm sure there are people who would LOVE that, since the two new towers were spoken for ridiculously fast. #askingforafriend #iwantadowntownoffice

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 13th, 2016, 1:33 pm

I think your better bet is if wells holds on to all the newly vacated space in 90 s 7th. They'll have to wait a few years for it to be renovated though.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 13th, 2016, 2:30 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like it well enough for what it is. I hope the gray undecided material stays a different enough color from the WF buildings that they don't look too matchy-matchy. I'd have loved to see something a bit more svelte, of course. Maybe the oddly-shaped block the Wilfs own directly north of the stadium can be eventually developed with something tallish, as it would be skinny by necessity.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 13th, 2016, 8:32 pm

These renderings look better... ish. I hope the undecided color is something more dynamic. The thing I just can't get over is how awkward and underwhelming the glass portion caps out. I mean can we get a cornice or peak or wash or bevel or anything?

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » July 13th, 2016, 8:58 pm

The similarity of the architecture makes me think the intended tenant is the same as the Wells Fargo Towers. I'll try and ask around to see if maybe there are more moves in store.
I have heard rumors that folks who originally expected to be moving to the new buildings will be staying put due to lack of space. I guess the only way we can know for sure is to look at what is planned for the rooftop! ;)

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 14th, 2016, 8:00 am

That parking ramp looks pretty awful and that skyway...wow...

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 14th, 2016, 8:02 am

That parking ramp looks pretty awful and that skyway...wow...
Those are both already built, so you can go take a look in person if you like.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 14th, 2016, 9:01 am

When next I am DT, I will confirm the awfulness. I am just picturing the face of the architects at HKS every time a new appendage gets proposed (skyway, bridge to nowhere, etc). If there is one thing an architect loves it is an object in space.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 14th, 2016, 9:14 am

For a parking ramp, this one actually looks pretty good. Better than many of the "mixed use" ones we have in town even. But this whole block will be...not great.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 14th, 2016, 12:42 pm

I actually like the parking ramp, as much as one can actually like a parking ramp. They did a decent job landscaping and the living walls are a nice touch. It'll be a while before the ramp walls grow completely "green," but it's a good start. I walk by this area every day on my way to work and it's amazing how much it's developed. It's beautiful to see this area transformed.