365 Nicollet (334' - 30 stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby John » May 17th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Toronto is, at this point, about as good of a comparison for Minneapolis as Manhattan would be. Which is to say, not a very good comparison at all due to crazy economic and land pressures that are able to support very expensive build-outs.
So is that the excuse for all the recent crop of cheap looking and uninspired architecture in Minneapolis? This block and the block north of the Library need to be done right or Nicollet Mile will be known as "Nicollet Mediocre".

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I'd be interested to see what comparable projects in other cities in similar circumstances you think we're falling short of. No doubt there are some good ones out there, but we also have some good ones here.

I certainly wish that some of the projects were better, but aside from saying, "This project in Toronto/Chicago/NYC is cool!", I'm not sure what good it does to point to a market where they're able to charge a multiple of the SF costs we are and then ask, "Why can't we do this?"

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 17th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Wow. I guess we should all throw in the towel and be glad anything above ground is acceptable because Minneapolis is just okay and doesn't deserve better.

That's what I'm hearing. Glad it hasn't always been that way. Because we do have a good number of very nicely designed buildings and most of us have high standards.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 17th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Having recently moved back from Chicago I for one can tell you only a handful of new residential buildings there are all that cutting edge or unique, especially in the surrounding neighborhoods. Many are the same cookie-cutter designs being used over and over again. Aqua is an exception.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 17th, 2014, 4:09 pm

That One Bloor project is selling for over $500 per sq ft, which is like twice what stuff sells for around here.

I also love how everybody's become an armchair architecture critic. Architecture you don't personally find attractive is not the same as bad architecture.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 17th, 2014, 4:56 pm

The renovation of Nicollet Mall is supposed to reinforce it as the premier pedestrian walkway/thoroughfare in downtown Minneapolis. It will be our national showcase that represents our urban character and symbolizes a pedestrian friendly city. This isn't the place for more cookie-cutter boxes that might as well be on a freeway interchange on 494.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 17th, 2014, 6:22 pm

That One Bloor project is selling for over $500 per sq ft, which is like twice what stuff sells for around here.

I also love how everybody's become an armchair architecture critic. Architecture you don't personally find attractive is not the same as bad architecture.
It may be uber expensive but how many people with money would not want to live in "the" iconic building the city has to offer.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 17th, 2014, 6:36 pm

My point is that when stuff there is selling for twice what stuff is selling for here, it's hard to make any kind of comparison between the two markets, particularly when it comes to design.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 17th, 2014, 8:27 pm

I also love how everybody's become an armchair architecture critic.
Are you also surprised at all the armchair quarterbacks in the ESPN comments sections?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 17th, 2014, 9:34 pm

My point is that when stuff there is selling for twice what stuff is selling for here, it's hard to make any kind of comparison between the two markets, particularly when it comes to design.
This isn't really The Way It Is. Who knows what One Bloor could sell for here, but it'd be no where near $250 psqft.
Towns!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 22nd, 2014, 9:11 pm

Two more residential towers planned for downtown Mpls.
Article by: JIM BUCHTA , Star Tribune Updated: September 22, 2014 - 9:08 PM
Inspired by early success at downtown Minneapolis’ Nic on Fifth, Opus has its sights set on two more a block away.

As the cocktails flowed and a band played poolside at last week’s opening of the Nic on Fifth apartments in downtown Minneapolis, the developers who built the 26-story luxury complex looked out on the next place they’d like to do something — one block north.

Opus Development Co. executives said they are now planning two residential towers with 30 floors or more on what’s called the Ritz block, which fronts Nicollet Mall between 3rd and 4th Streets.

The plan is a departure from an earlier proposal to build offices and housing on the block, which is currently a surface parking lot. But with Nic on Fifth already 45 percent leased just days after opening, Opus executives are betting that more housing is the way to go.....
http://www.startribune.com/housing/276402831.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm

Any updates on the progress of this project? It sure would be wonderful to see one of these towers completed by 2018... or at least well underway. Hope this proposal hasn't died off.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm

This hasn't died off, that's for sure. But I think you're expecting a lot for something that's still very vague and in development.

I also would caution your zeal to want as much underway by 2018. I get that we're hosting the Superbowl. I'm excited about that and excited for our city. But I want things to be built because there's need - not because we're hosting one event.

Let's see what proposals the City receives from the RFP on the Nicollet Block. I truly think if there are several iconic options proposed - that both the Eclipse and Ritz blocks will become even more important. So even if there are plans - they will probably change. Throw in Nicollet redo and the streetcar plans and things become even more fluid. :)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 22nd, 2014, 8:32 am

I'm for the Ritz block sitting on the table for a few more years. I want to see what the Nicollet block produces as far as an Icon. Would prefer that Opus and the Eclipse blocks see what happens on this block and see that building a great building will be benefitical to their bottom line as they would be able to charge better rents and have more people using them for the reasons we want, Retail, restaurants and a great place to live.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 23rd, 2014, 1:26 pm

^^^I optimistic the design for the Ritz Block will be an improvement over Nic On Fifth: maybe not great but better. For one thing I think the city will insist on more retail along Nicollet Mall. It will be taller so the proportions will be better. The Eclipse will be how it is currently designed, and Mr Stanton will get his precious parking ratio variance one way or another. I doubt he will budge an inch to revise the architecture to work better with the context of the site. This guy is way beyond being merely conservative...lol

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 23rd, 2014, 5:54 pm

^^^I optimistic the design for the Ritz Block will be an improvement over Nic On Fifth: maybe not great but better. For one thing I think the city will insist on more retail along Nicollet Mall. It will be taller so the proportions will be better. The Eclipse will be how it is currently designed, and Mr Stanton will get his precious parking ratio variance one way or another. I doubt he will budge an inch to revise the architecture to work better with the context of the site. This guy is way beyond being merely conservative...lol
If they stick with the residential aspect only, and the fact the Nic on Fifth is to them considered luxury and that you think the Opus project/s might be better. Ultra luxury?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 17th, 2015, 9:43 am

Thought you'd like to see how the old Ritz Hotel looked along Nicollet Mall with a pic I took in '88. As you can see, a guy was enjoying the sun at the time. Notice all the great trees going down the mall. And nothing big between the Ritz and the IDS.

ImageRitz hotel block on Nicollet Mall 1988 by bapster2006, on Flickr

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 17th, 2015, 11:10 am

Awesome picture bapster! Thanks for sharing!
It would be very cool to see a shot from this exact spot during the same time of year. To get a then/now perspective.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 17th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Thank you! My plan is to do a series of Before and After shots so we can have some fun comparing.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 17th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Thank you! My plan is to do a series of Before and After shots so we can have some fun comparing.
That would be very cool to see. When you get a new shot from this block - see if you can't find someone to lay in the sidewalk again too! :lol: